Is your thinking voice the same as your speaking voice?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Is your thinking voice the same as your speaking voice?

Postby Gunner Down Under » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:20 pm

For some reason if I record my voice (usually not intentionally) it turns out I've got a British accent for some reason, I've got no idea why, though

The voice recorder just enhances that accent, if I ask my friends they say just a bit, but it's clearly obvious if I record my voice though!!
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:23 pm

:lol:@ Psycho Gooneress. I imagine he is struggling with the concept of thinking let alone thinking about thinking.

It is a strange topic I know but I have had alot of time on my hands recently.

The Midfield General wrote:I've often thought about this kind of thing, also about stuff like whether cats think in English or whatever, but that's another story. I think your thinking voice is made of memories of what you've heard - you can do impressions of people in your head from what you've heard them say, but when you try and say it, it comes out horribly wrong.

Of what you heard, you mean based on the people you have heard up to the point you were consciencly aware you were thinking? I see what you mean but I suppose if that was the case then a person who was brought up by a same sex couple of the opposite sex they would have a thinking voice sounding like the opposite gender.

You can do impressions based on memory but you are actively trying to do that, your real thinking voice is the one you do without trying to change it, the default freeflowing one you normally use.

For those who say it is not the same how close is it to your speaking voice?

Looking at what Gza said, maybe his speaking voice is so different to what he thought when he hears it because he associates his true voice with his thinking voice which he uses most (unless Gza speaks more than he thinks but I doubt that :lol: ) when they are actually different.

I think mine is close which is why I don't know. Some people have been adamant that they are the same though which is why I am interested how you "acquire" your thinking voice so to speak.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Gunner Down Under » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:25 pm

My singing voice (when I'm forced to sing that is) comes out horribly wrong from what I imagine it to be
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Libertine » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm always suprised by how my voice sounds when i hear it played back to me.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:56 am

My actual voice doesn't sound anything like I think it does when played back to me.

My thinking voice actually has a stronger accent than my real voice oddly, proper Sarf Laaandan

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:41 pm

SE13 wrote:My actual voice doesn't sound anything like I think it does when played back to me.

My thinking voice actually has a stronger accent than my real voice oddly, proper Sarf Laaandan

That is unusual, most people consider their thinking voice more neutral in accent.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:20 pm

It's probably something to do with being a South Londoner, and having the accent in the first place, while my talking voice isn't half as strong as it was but a bit of a mix between Lincoln and Lewisham....... :dontknow:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:40 pm

My thinking voice doesnt have a welsh accent. :crybaby: :frogwink:
My thinking voice has a fabulous singing voice - life's a bitch! :rofll:
My drunk thinking voice doesnt give a FCUK about anything.

Other than the 1st one id rather have my thinking voice rather than my spoken voice.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby SE13 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:10 pm

How does that work? Your accent is ever so strong. (Well, it is to me)

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:07 pm

aint got a scooby chris, but it doesnt 'sound' welsh when i think. :dunno:

my accent has changed alot over the years, living in england, here, there n everywhere for so long, i often get what my mates here call an english twang, its like when i 1st moved back to Wales from Surrey, to you or anyone other than Welsh i would sound a proper Welshy, but to my mates back home here in Wales they'd be saying ffs lose that english accent! although my welsh accent is stronger than ever seeing as ive been back in Swansea for 11yrs. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I guess its the same when you type, sometimes your local accent will come through in phrases, like i use the word 'like' eg "you know what i mean like?" alot and proper or oi mush & innt ect... which is perfectly normal speech to me but the Welsh in me comes across in type too. you will notice it with scottish members too, often using the word 'weee man' ect....

well wierd, but does make you think.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby SE13 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Not sure, I certainly don't type anything apart from what I would consider general English. You generally type the same. But your accent was that damn strong you can't say it wasn't Welsh. :dontknow:

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Prince » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:12 pm

yes they are diff
dunno what more can i say about this
you ppl hav been going on about this like an arsenal untied game with 20 goals
Twitter : @VarunChandaria
Prince
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby niko197 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:08 pm

thinking voice!? what's that!? :sneaky2:
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Previous

Return to The Big Debate