Man jailed for beating knife maniac intruder

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Man jailed for beating knife maniac intruder

Postby IMF » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:58 am

This bloke and his brother have been jailed for beating up a guy who broke into his house; imprisoned his family and threatened to kill them all.

A MILLIONAIRE businessman jailed for taking on a knife maniac who threatened to slaughter his family yesterday told of the hell his sentence has caused.

Munir Hussain was sent down for two and a half years on Monday for GBH with intent while the masked burglar who broke into his home with two accomplices brandishing 12inch knives was set free.

Munir, 53, told his lawyer the injustice had left him "stunned - in a living hell". He said: "I just can't understand a justice system that would jail me for trying to save the lives of my children.

"I don't know what I was supposed to do. I thought the jury would have families and have some idea what the terror of their children being threatened is like."

And he warned: "Every Briton desperate to protect their family from criminals could end up like me."

Psychologists say Munir has been left so traumatised by the attack and his jailing he could commit suicide.

The devoutly religious dad had returned from Ramadan prayers at his local mosque with his family to find career-criminal Walid Salem, 56, in his house in High Wycombe, Bucks, with two other masked raiders.

Salem, who has 54 previous convictions, tied up Munir, wife Shaheen Begum, sons Awais, 21, Samad, 15, and daughter Arooj, 18. They were then forced to crawl from room to room "in terror" before being made to lie down in the living room.

Awais, now 23, yesterday told The Sun the ambush was "every family's worst nightmare".

Crying
He said: "These men were wearing balaclavas and the knives they were holding to our necks were at least 12 inches long. They punched me and my father repeatedly in the head and face and pushed us all to the floor.

"I remember my dad trying to reason with them, saying 'take everything we have - just don't hurt us'. But the men were sneering and shouting 'We're gonna f***ing kill you'.

"My sister and mum were crying hysterically. We all thought we were going to die."

Awais said the situation only turned when his younger brother Samad managed to escape.

He said: "Samad ran from the room and was chased by two of the men. My mum was screaming: 'they're going to kill Samad'.

"My father then ran after them as I grappled the remaining raider.

"It was only later that we found out that Samad had fled upstairs, and had jumped out of the first floor window to the ground and leapt over several fences to get to my uncle's and raise the alarm."

A jury at Reading Crown Court heard that Munir then seized his chance and turned on one of his captors. Then with the help of brother Tokeer, who lived two doors down and had run to help, they set upon Salem with a metal pole and cricket bat.

Salem was struck so hard that the bat broke - and he suffered a fractured skull and brain injury. He was later deemed unfit to plead to charges of false imprisonment and given a two-year supervision order instead of jail.

But it was Munir who was jailed - with a judge telling him he needed to preserve "civilised society." Brother Tokeer, 35, was sentenced to 39 months.

Judge John Reddihough told them: "It may be that some members of the public, or media commentators, will assert that the man Salem deserved what happened to him - and that you should not have been prosecuted and need not be punished.

"However, if persons are permitted to take the law into their own hands - and inflict their own instant and violent punishment rather than letting justice take its course, then the rule of law, and our system of criminal justice, which are the hallmarks of a civilised society, would collapse."

But Munir had always been a respectable, law-abiding citizen.

He came to Britain from his native Kashmir in 1964, and founded a building acoustics company that employs ten people and last year had a turnover of £2.4million. He was also a former chairman of the Wycombe Race Equality Council.

Awais added: "Now not only have my sister and brother and young cousins been left without their fathers, the ten people my dad employed are set to lose their jobs as his business goes under.

"My father is the most law-abiding man in Britain. He loves this country and he respects its rules, laws and justice system.

"But - on that awful night - we thought we were going to die. All that was going through my father's mind was to protect his family. We didn't choose to be victims of crime. We were just innocents until this was thrusted upon us. But now our lives are wrecked because of a situation no-one could possibly ever prepare or legislate for, let alone control.

"We were victims of a horrific crime - but it's the injustice we suffered that has destroyed us. The fact that this man was let off is sickening. I can't even begin to tell you the level of trauma the raid - and my dad's sentence - has caused my family.

"My little sister barely leaves the house she's so terrified. My brother, who was always a strong character, sleeps beside me in my room. He won't even go downstairs on his own at night.

"My mother had a mini-stroke, brought on by the stress of the trial. I'm trying to hold my dad's business together. He poured his whole life and energy into it - but the accountants say, without him it will go under in six months.

"I spoke to my dad in prison yesterday and he's broken. All he kept saying was 'make sure you've locked the door and the windows, be careful'. He's petrified that we will be targeted again.

"The only comfort we have is the thousands of people who have pledged support - and the constant letters and phone-calls we're getting from all around the world."

Munir's barrister Michael Wolkind QC said he had been inundated with emails from people overseas too - all "staggered at the state of English justice".

He said: "Mr Hussain is a very calm, controlled, polite and religious man. It is a travesty that he has been treated so badly by English justice.

"When Mr Hussain went after his attacker he believed that the raiders had killed his youngest son as the boy was missing. His decision to hit back was taken in the agony of the moment.

"The criminal justice system has failed twice. The court was unable to sentence Walid Salem with sufficient harshness or Munir and Tokeer Hussain with sufficient compassion."

Victims' Rights Campaigner Malcolm Starr ran the crusade to free Tony Martin after he was jailed for life for shooting a burglar he caught in his Norfolk home.

He said: "Tony says no lessons appear to have been learned since he was convicted ten years ago. He supports the Hussains 100 per cent.

"These people should not be on the streets. Then they cry foul when they come off worse".

The brothers plan to appeal against conviction and sentence.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... -home.html

Where's the justice eh?

So we're not allowed to protect ourselves. Judge says the justice system should've sorted out the intruder... yeah the intruder with 54 previous convictions and got away with a 2 year supervisory order! Great system!

On another note; The brother does look like Almunia though:

I guess now we know why Al has been a bit off the boil recently...
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Re: Man jailed for beating knife maniac intruder

Postby Myrmedus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:07 am

Lmao.

Anyway on the actual topic I'm divided over this one, and that article is very selective in what they've told.

Basically, the part of the story they've conveniently omitted is that when the two brothers were breaking their cricket bat on the intruder it was half-way across the estate, not in the defendant's house.

On the one hand the problem I have with Munir's actions is where do you cross the line? It isn't the fact he gave the guy brain damage that bothers me - anything can happen in the heat of the moment when you're protecting those you love - but the distance he covered in order to catch up to him and therefore the time that had passed changes things. If you're running 1/4 of a mile after someone to beat the shit out of them several minutes after the threatening events it smacks of eye for an eye and reminds me of "honour killing" almost.

On the other hand though it's not like the intruder was a simple burglar, a thief, but he was actually threatening to MURDER people Munir cared about so I can definitely imagine the red mist took over. And even though I think it's wrong I can imagine I would've reacted in the same way, I would've wanted to victimize this piece of shit the same way he victimizes others including my family.

My opinion? I agree with the sentence given to Munir but I think it should've been suspended, especially considering the farce around the intruder considering the amount of suspended sentences he had that allowed him to be there in the first place.... What Munir did was over the top and it did go too far but when the law isn't giving people the appropriate protection by slamming criminals like these behind bars what else can we expect but brazen vigilantism from the public in an attempt to protect themselves? I'm sure if he'd done what was expected of him and warned the guy off but not followed him all that would've happened is the intruder would've gotten away with it. This kind of Mad Max style justice is what happens when legislative authorities have completely lost the plot.

Our legal system, and most specifically its (non)enforcement, is an absolute joke.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Leody » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:55 am

The homeowner should be given a freakin medal for what he did. Maybe the ass beating the guy got will be a deterrent to doing something like this again, because the "justice" system obviously failed on his previous 54 convictions...

How in the world is that man walking the streets with 54 convictions!?!?!?! Your justice system is FUBAR.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby foxy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:08 am

This takes the right royal p**s!! If anyone were to come into my home and threaten my mrs or kids i would do the same or worse. Its crazy how someone can come into your home threatening your children and if you stand up to them your in the wrong!!! What are you supposed to do wait an hour til the police turn up after they have gone? Ludicrous!!!
Aaron Ramsey's magic, he wears an Arsenal hat. Sir Alex said come play for me but Aaron said f**k that. Ramsey is a Gooners fan, he wears his shirt with pride, he plays for Arsenal FC, red and white army by his side!
foxy
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fordy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:35 am

I would do bad things to someone if they threatend my kids i dont think i would even just kill them i would lock them in my gargae and do so saw/hostal shit to them, Even if they got away i would hunt them down then do it to them.
Fordy

Postby gzagee » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:15 am

Read this in the Standard a few weeks ago.
Madness!! :crazy:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby IMF » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:31 am

Fordy wrote:I would do bad things to someone if they threatend my kids i dont think i would even just kill them i would lock them in my gargae and do so saw/hostal shit to them, Even if they got away i would hunt them down then do it to them.

And I think most people who love their family would. So what if they ran 1/4 of a mile to break a cricket bat on the guys head??

I would've run 10 miles and made sure they'd never be able to walk again as well while I was at it and that'd be to make sure they never had the chance to do it again.

The torment that bloke put him and his family through would cause months, years worth of rage so how can people moan if he beat him up 10 minutes after leaving the house?
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler

AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fabby » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:53 pm

I agree man f**k that, a quarter of a mile is about a two minute run. if some guy breaks into your house, beats and ties up your family and says hes gonna kill you all for no f***ing reason do you blame him? f**k the government man im glad he almost killed that guy who attacked them
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheLittleMozart » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:09 pm

Yet another example of this f***ing joke, we call the justice system!

So what if they chased the guy down and beat the shit out him,he deserved it for tiying them up and putting a knife to thier throats.
What would the judge hve prefferred this guy to do, let the attacker go free but once he leaves call the police and wait 45minutes for some bloke to come round,take a statement and do f**k all afterwards?

Ridiculous.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:44 am

Both Munair Hussain and his brother have been freed after public outrage.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Gunner Down Under » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 am

Finally!!
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:00 am

Makes you wonder how people who make decisions like this get so far out of touch with reality...
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:07 am

He will continue to fight for his brother's release. That was reduced from 3 years to 2 years.

The burglar went free due to brain damage. Still, he somehow managed to go on and commit credit card fraud...

The mind boggles. :dizzy:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Waterfordgooner » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:12 pm

Makes you think about taking up crime !!!!! What a joke - you defend your family from scum and they get more sympathy
Waterfordgooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby IMF » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Yeah the brother (almunia's long lost brother) is still in jail.

But the brain damaged criminal is still committing crimes!
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler

AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp