Poppies

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Poppies

Postby TheLittleMozart » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:16 pm

I saw an intresting debate about Poppies today on a tv show and it made me think about the whole situation.
Mainly the factor of,do you feel the need to buy a poppy when on sale during they're annual big push? And or do you look at other people NOT wearing poppies and frown upon those who simply choose not to wear one?

I personally never wear poppies. Sure I'll buy the odd one if they're out and about and shove it in my pocket, but I'll never go out my way to get one becuase I never actively go out to buy any cancer research badge,Oxfam or whatever and wear them on my coat.

And I feel people frown upon this stance becuase there is this pressre that you MUST buy one becuase of the War and whatnot,but surley by doing this we are taking away freedom of choice which was exactly WHAT we were fighting for in the War.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Poppies

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:30 pm

I can't say I have any opinion either way. In fact I think it's a pretty stupid thing to have a tv debate about. I don't wear one but if people want to then sure.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Does the money thats made selling them go to anything?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:01 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Does the money thats made selling them go to anything?

Yes, usually War Veterans, The British Legion run the campaign and i know some funds are donated to The Forces Benevolent funds.

I always make a point of buying poppies every year & i wear them as i do for breast cancer, both charities are ones which i support & feel deeply about.
I dont frown upon people who dont, that is their choice, as you say, we have that freedom to choose.
:)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Briggsy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:06 pm

I wear a poppy i wear it as a mark of respect of what the vets done for us!
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:11 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:Does the money thats made selling them go to anything?

Yes, usually War Veterans, The British Legion run the campaign and i know some funds are donated to The Forces Benevolent funds.

I always make a point of buying poppies every year & i wear them as i do for breast cancer, both charities are ones which i support & feel deeply about.
I dont frown upon people who dont, that is their choice, as you say, we have that freedom to choose.
:)

Thats good then. I always support the troops as my step-father has done 3 tours now, twice in Iraq, and once in Afghanistan. He became good friends with a British soldier and still keeps in touch with him, and the guy just happenes to be a Gooner. :arse flag.gif:

They have similiar things going on over here. I believe they have bracelets, and little magnet ribbons things that most people put on their cars. I've bought some, but don't wear/show them.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby thebish » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:13 pm

TheOne2Smooth wrote:I wear a poppy i wear it as a mark of respect of what the vets done for us!

I am organising a "field of remembrance" this year - I have a hunch it will be popular - will post some pics next week if anyone is interested...
thebish
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:19 pm

That be nice Bish, please do. :)

Incidently, the Rememberance image i posted in the GGX forum is running through facebook like wildfire, i have had loads of requests for tags, through friends of friends which have been tagged, but unfortunatley FB only allows 30 tags max. :(
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Briggsy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:36 pm

Watch Eastenders last night and it pissed me off they had poppy points in the cafe and the vic but only 2 people where wearing them! Thats not consistant with the East end
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Younggooner08 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:36 pm

TheOne2Smooth wrote:I wear a poppy i wear it as a mark of respect of what the vets done for us!

Same here, i have bought a poppy every year for as long as i can remember, my grandad fort in the war so that could be a big reason for me but i just like to show that i will always remember what so people gave their lives for. I would not like to go to war but if we was in the same sitution as all them years ago i would be right at the front of the line to protect my country
Imagee
Younggooner08
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Poppy every year for me, sometimes more than one depending on the damage to the original. I put £10 in the tin for the first one and usually £2 for each replacement.

It's something I feel quite passionate about, my Dad served in the RAF, his Dad died as a result of Dunkirk while on active service when my Dad was only 6 years old. I couldn't get into the Forces due to a slightly dodgy past, so I served time with NAAFI supplying the services instead.

The Poppy represents a life lost defending Britain, the least we could do is wear one.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Forest » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Cant say i've brought one but dont mind people wearing them and think its good to have something like that that goes to good causes because the troops do alot for us, its just ashame the troops bank holiday got turned down yet again.

Its when people start forcing it on me is when i have a problem with it, and end up arguing which i regret after.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:40 pm

I will buy a poppy and i understand why it is important with both my Grandparents serving and with friends in the army now.

It is choice but i understand if people get upset when not many people seem to be bothering. What i don't like is when people get on their high horse about someone not voting.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby thebish » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:30 pm

gunner2018 wrote:Cant say i've brought one but dont mind people wearing them and think its good to have something like that that goes to good causes because the troops do alot for us, its just ashame the troops bank holiday got turned down yet again.

Its when people start forcing it on me is when i have a problem with it, and end up arguing which i regret after.

not sure I understand the troops bank holiday idea. how does it help the troops or support them for you and me to have a dossy day off while they get shot at? :dontknow:
thebish
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:39 pm

I've never worn one and never will. Personal choice.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Next

Return to The Big Debate