Cinemas are rip offs

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Cinemas are rip offs

Postby Briggsy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:41 pm

I'm fed up with some actor saying Pirate Dvd sellers are killing the film industry! No your killing it! When was the last time you went cinema and seen a film with not a spare seat in the house? Not many or if not any. They charge £8 upwards for a one film which may have great picture quality but is the viewing quality any better? Your in a chair which ain't comfortable even if it has a bloody cup holder wow! Your mind is taken away from the film from Asbos either making phone calls or talking to there mate. Before you go in you may want Popcorn and a soft drink? Costing anywhere between 6-9 quid. Popcorn is pretty cheap to make as is post mix cola so another big mark up! Let me make it clear I haven't bought a pirate DVD for at least a year but I can see why people do. If cinema's reduced there over the top prices and had ushers who do there job it may spell the End of the cry from a chinese man is asda car park of DVD
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Cinema's are rip offs

Postby UFGN » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:48 pm

What pisses me off especially is West End cinimas. Not the good ones, you expect to pay a premium to watch a film in one of the best screans like the Empire or the Odeon Leicester Square.

Its the others, and I will name them. Warner Brothers Leicester Square, Curzon Soho, Odean Coven Garden, Odean Tottenham Court Road, that stack of shite in Picadilly Circus, whatever its called. Trying to charge up to £13 for some small screan and shite sound. Heres a tip, dont stand for it. If youve paid West End ticket price and you find yourself in a jumped-up living room, walk out and demand your money back.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Goose » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:48 pm

I stopped going cinema a long time ago, I download movies off the net and stream them through my XBox360 to my 50" plasma with my surround sound on.

Lot better than being cramped up in a cinema, I can pause the movie for toilet breaks, rewind good bits and make my own munchies or get some Pringles from ASDA for £1 a pack!
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby SE13 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Why go West when most places in London have decent enough screens at decent enough prices :dontknow:

Besides which, waiting for the DVD at a fraction more than the film would cost at the cinema in the first place wins every time, and you can watch it when you want and as many times as you want all for the same price you paid in the first place.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:56 pm

Yes they are

I download loads of movies. Only go to the cinema for big things like Star Wars
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:33 pm

BTW the biggest and best screan in London is now at the 02 Dome. Its so big that for some films they dont use the whole screan.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:36 pm

I hate the price of cinema's. Odeon have started doing this thing now where they are making screens with "premium only seats" (Putney and Richmond are the newest near me to do this) and they are putting as many films in there as they can forcing you to pay premium or not watch it.

The price of food and drink is criminal, it's ridiculous. I don't download films or buy pirates but i don't think anything of people who do. The film industry is never going to make me feel negatively towards pirates because they are so overpriced themselves and they cannot blame their overpricing on pirates because they were still like this when piracy wasn't such an issue.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Sort of reminds me of the original days of pirates when they took a cine camera in, recorded from the back of the cinema, and put it onto VHS. The sound quality was dreadful, the screen quality was utter bollocks, yet these videos changed hands for quite high prices at the time.

E.T (extra testicle) was the first real high profile film to be a victim, and I remember a crowd of us crammed around a tv trying to hear and see what was going on. It was just awful!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby UFGN » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Its their own stupid fault as said by others. I love going to the cinema and if a ticket was £5 and a box of popcorn say £2 I would spend more overall cos i'd go maybe once a week. As it is I barely go five times a year.

UFGN

Postby Yorkyblue » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Costs 3quid on a Wednesday at cineworld.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:46 pm

they are a joke, i took a girl there last month and said i would pay cos the if not i would have had to wait til she walked up 3 flights of stairs to get her wallet, and i would feel tight asking for money back later on so i just paid it all

the total bill came to £28

absolutely f***ked me over

hate cinemas now.
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby SE13 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Looking at it all another way, my kids are mad on things like High School Musical and the like. It would cost an absolute fortune to take them all to the cinema plus drinks/food etc, but waiting a couple of months and a visit to Asda for the DVD and they have seen these films far more times than their classmates and at a fraction of the cost.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:56 pm

I like a trip to the cinema. I download my fair share of movies but sometimes I just wanna get out the house and watch it in the cinema.

I was there last night to see The Vampire Assistant which was quite good but it's a decent night out without having to go to any effort. We never had nothing to eat and picked up some Chinese on the way home. Last time I spent serious cash was that last Harry Potter thing and I saw it in Empire in Les Sq for £13 a go. Stupidly high prices.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby UFGN » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:02 pm

Andreys_Does_Simples wrote:I like a trip to the cinema. I download my fair share of movies but sometimes I just wanna get out the house and watch it in the cinema.

I was there last night to see The Vampire Assistant which was quite good but it's a decent night out without having to go to any effort. We never had nothing to eat and picked up some Chinese on the way home. Last time I spent serious cash was that last Harry Potter thing and I saw it in Empire in Les Sq for £13 a go. Stupidly high prices.

I agree but one thing I would say it that the Empire is one of the best and highest profile cinemas in the whole world. Its like the movie equivilent of Wembley. So why would you bother going there if you dont want to pay a premium?

UFGN

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:06 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:
Andreys_Does_Simples wrote:I like a trip to the cinema. I download my fair share of movies but sometimes I just wanna get out the house and watch it in the cinema.

I agree but one thing I would say it that the Empire is one of the best and highest profile cinemas in the whole world. Its like the movie equivilent of Wembley. So why would you bother going there if you dont want to pay a premium?

The only reason I was down there was cos Jen was picking up tickets for Wicked the next night. £13 for a movie is ridiculous, I can buy the thing cheaper when it comes out.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Next

Return to The Big Debate