Abortion, Parental Consent?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Abortion, Parental Consent?

Postby Trina » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:37 pm

I saw this on a debate site and thought it would make a good topic

Teenage pregnancy is a stressful experience, and many people would agree that it would be sensible for a pregnant unmarried teenage girl to seek advice from a responsible adult. Parental involvement laws would make notification of pregnancy and consent for abortion from one or both parents mandatory. Such laws exist in 43 US states, but are enforced in only 32. Most of the statutes apply to young women under 18 and provide for a court bypass procedure should a young woman be unable to involve her parents. Most of them include exceptions for medical emergencies. In principle, of course, similar laws could be introduced anywhere where abortion is legal. The definition of underage will vary from culture to culture, and will need clear explanation by the proposing speakers.NB I would strongly recommend that this debate avoid arguments about the morality of abortion in general. The motion necessarily assumes that abortion is legal, so questions about whether or not it should be are beside the point - arguments against abortion in general would point to the need for an outright ban, not for parental consent for it.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby REG » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:26 pm

I hate underage sex & don't like esp when young teenagers have a baby at a time when there not capable of looking after a child
Some people on here may of experienced that (just the underage sex) but most kids don't stick round for long afterwards
Islington has the biggest ammount of underage sex/pregnancy in the UK!!!!!!!!!!
Places such as the Cally has those sort of teenagers who as well nick plenty of motorbikes, most people on ere would call them Chavs
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby whee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:14 pm

If a 15 year old girl gets knocked up, realises the mistake she's made, and wants to get rid, then that's up to her. She's made her choice, why should anyone get involved.

There are always people available for these girls to talk to, you know.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ozgooner » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:05 am

if a young girl of say 15 or 16 was to fall pregnant i would like to think she would automatically consult her mother and/or father , or even a close female family friend before making such a monumentous decision . i don't think it should be law that an underage must get parental approval though .

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:52 am

It depends on the circumstances i think.

I do think that under the age of 16 consent is needed, if it were to be non-consentual then that would widen rights to other areas of medical consent, taking away parental responsibility.

If it were Kira when she was in her early teens, id be upset that she would not have felt she was able to come to me, but at the same time can understand how frightened a young girl would be to go to her parents, i dont think 15-16yr olds should be having children, its kids having kids, and at that age dont realise the huge responsibilty that comes with parenting. I know of one girl who's 21 who had a baby about 6mnth ago, even though she loves the baby to bits she also resents the child because she dont enjoy the freedom she once had.

please note: Im NOT saying they would make bad parents, often teenage girls who gets themselves pregant end up being single parents & that is hard going for an adult let alone a 'child', especailly when all her mates are either still at school & carefree or in the later teens out working & enjoying their freedom.
Its a big adjustment to life no matter how old you are, suddenly converstaions change from what you wearing out tonight & this & that lad, to what nappies you use or what time you was up feeding baby at daft o'clock.
I used to be anti-abortion but my views have changed alot.

This sort of debate can open a whole can of worms, there's for & against for so many different reasons.
Can be a very touchy subject.
Last edited by She_Gunner_Wales on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Libertine » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:50 pm

REG wrote:I hate underage sex

Going through a dry spell Reg?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:33 pm

There can't be that many people here that waited until it was all "legal", and I know that I among the list that didn't.

Before I race into the teenage pregnancy bit, the law in this Country used to be 12 years for consensual sex. The only reason it was moved to 16 was to stop child prostitution, as it was considered that 9 year olds could pass for 12........ Makes you think, doesn't it!

In Holland, children can have consensual sex at 11 with parental consent.

So, teenage pregnancy in The UK is the highest in Europe. Yep fine, it's a bit of a problem, but what exactly can be done to stop it? Lock every girl up until they are 20? Store every testicle of every boy until they are considered mature enough to cope with parenthood?

At the end of the day, we all know the potential outcome of intercourse, and we should all be aware that the only 100% method of contraception is the word "NO"..........

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby REG » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:37 pm

Libertine wrote:
REG wrote:I hate underage sex

Going through a dry spell Reg?

:mrgreen: ;)
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ken day » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:40 pm

I agree with abortion on demand, too many peoples lives has been ruined by unwanted children.
you win some, you lose some, chillout and enjoy life
ken day
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Gurly_Gooner » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:26 pm

I think in extreme cases yes i agree with it ie mothers health or unwanted due to r*pe etc its not fair on the poor child if they are not wanted
Gurly_Gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Return to The Big Debate