The next generation of kids

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

The next generation of kids

Postby Trina » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:18 pm

Everytime I turn the news on lately there are story's about kids on it.

Basically saying they are out of control. I don't want this to turn into the views on the smacking thread so I will word it a bit differently.

Do you think because nowadays a majority of both parents have to work to make a living, leaves less time for discipline?

Or perhaps schools are not as strict with the kids? Do kids pick it up from somewhere else?

Personally I would never dare do half the things kids do now!
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby REG » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:38 pm

It's the Kevin & Perry years at the moment but worse
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Git » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:25 am

Can't we just blame the general decline of society on the 60's generation? :P
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:05 am

I think to some degree having both parents working does contribute to it, if the parents are working all hours & not there for the kids or they are palmed off onto childminders, but in this day and age its classed as normal for both parents to work, so they can provide for their children. It seems a no-win situation.
Im not saying this is a bad thing but some parents seem to care more about their careers than they do of their kids.

Schools are now governed by red tape in disciplinary procedures & kids get to push to the limits & run riot, especailly in todays compensation society.

But as parents i think the best thing we can do is teach them the basics, & put them on the right track, so to speak, and guide them when they fall off.

There's so many things that contribute to it, as well as the drug & gun cultures that we are now seeing on our streets.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby SE13 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:54 pm

Git wrote:Can't we just blame the general decline of society on the 60's generation? :P

Well, there is a saying, "If you can remember the sixties, then you didn't do it right", which fairly much sums things up!

Thing is, National Service vanished, and along with it went discipline. If all parents had that drummed inside them now, would they let their kids run riot nowaday? The fear of reprisal is all too clear in this Nanny State we now live in. Some of the garbage defies belief. When I was a kid, The Police patrolled the streets with regular beats, and they would cuff you if you were misbehaving. Nowadays the kids have greater rights than the people employed to police them. It's sheer madness!

I suppose my upbringing was a bit different, given my age, and the fact that I am a Forces kid, meaning that if I did anything wrong, it was my Father who was punished. And woah betide that ever happening!

Personally, I am quite strict with my children, and endless tantrums simply won't work. The sheer humiliation of having themselves shown up in front of the others generally pays dividends!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Lacrymosa™ » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:02 pm

This sums up the current generation imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK4qJmthrl8

I do genuinely fear for the future of this country. Especially when vermin like this breed, and they will.
Lacrymosa™
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Libertine » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:06 pm

SE13 wrote: Nowadays the kids have greater rights than the people employed to police them. It's sheer madness!

They all know their rights but none of them seem to know when something is wrong!
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:11 pm

example of a ned, ie glasgow youth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scNLfr1EP08
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:16 pm

absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby REG » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:53 pm

It's just strange where this culture came from
It's parents that couldn't give a flying that make people like me turned into a sterotype, i though have the full & up most respect for my parents & i don't often mess them around
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:05 pm

lol so SE13 is a Pad's Brat! :lol: ;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby ozgooner » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:00 am

A TEENAGER has appeared in court charged with the murder of two young brothers near Toowoomba.

Brodie Isaac Preston, 19, appeared in Toowoomba Magistrates Court this morning charged with two counts of murder and two counts of bodily harm.

The boys, Jason Andrew Schaepman, 4, and Riley Tate Schaepman, 18 months, died before arriving at separate Toowoomba hospitals on Saturday afternoon.

Post mortems were carried out on the brothers yesterday, but the cause of their deaths is yet to be released.

The four-year-old died in the ambulance on the way to the Toowoomba Base Hospital about 5.30pm (AEST) Saturday.

His brother was taken to St Vincent's Hospital by his mother about the same time, but had already died.

Police yesterday set up a crime scene at a home in Sharon Court, Darling Heights, south of Toowoomba.

Preston has been remanded in custidy for a committal hearing on October 23.

this shit is happening all over the world , this took place 150kms (70 miles) from me . i realise that a 19 year old is hardly a child , but it seems like even murderers are getting younger :(

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby whee » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:23 pm

I know 2 Seventeen year olds who are going to do some volunteer work in Africa over the Winter.

There's as much good on the planet as there is bad.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Trina » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:39 pm

whee wrote:I know 2 Seventeen year olds who are going to do some volunteer work in Africa over the Winter.

There's as much good on the planet as there is bad.

I agree Whee to a certain extent.

But I understand where you are coming from, it's a shame no one mentions the good things they do.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:27 pm

I think that the general attitude and nature of the youth of today has not changed that much but one thing i have noticed since i was at school (1994-99) is a total exodus of manners.

I think a lack of manners is what defines the current young generation. Yes in the 90's we got up to some mischief and i saw others doing the naughty things which are done today but we knew how to treat people and we had respect which drew lines over what we were doing (we as in my generation, not me personally, i was a good boy :D) .

Today the lines are gone, youngsters (not all, but enough to make it highly significant) have no respect for anyone in most contexts and situations.

There are other cultural changes which alarm me as well. In the 90's if you got in a bicker with someone there was possibly a little rumble with a few thrown punches, a few bruises and back on with it tomorrow. Now it seems you are shot or stabbed for the slightest thing, all the bash street kids would be dead right now if they lived today. Worrying, very worrying.

It is a good thing our new prime minister is such a culturally astute man and can relate to the kids well enough to connect with them and create progress :roll: :brick:
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Big Debate