British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:Technically (and only technically) we could just do what we did with the East India Company and take it via an act of Parliament. Especially with no EU to stop us.

Exactly.

That is what having autonomy over your countries actions allow, it would obviously be difficult but I think as PG says if we offset the initial cost while demeaning and outright demonizing the Energy companies to force a cheaper takeover, that cost would in future tense be re-couped.

Its a long term investment back into this country.

I know its not the same situation and we can't talk in unrealistic extremes but dictators do these sorts of takeovers overnight. :lol:

............ so it is possible.

UFGN as for your comments on the Tories, the fact is the Tories get into power by doing things, even if its just one issue, that the people want, if Labours opportunity (which is very much in step with their traditional policies anyway) is to push for nationalisation or at least get the ball rolling then they should take it ........ that is what the Tories did with Brexit, its time Labour started playing the game if they want the hot seat.
I'm not even saying Labour could do it in one term, but at least starting to light a fire under the Energy companies and start pushing for the needed legislation could put Labour in back to back terms just like Brexit did for the Tories.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:47 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:Technically (and only technically) we could just do what we did with the East India Company and take it via an act of Parliament. Especially with no EU to stop us.

Exactly.

That is what having autonomy over your countries actions allow, it would obviously be difficult but I think as PG says if we offset the initial cost while demeaning and outright demonizing the Energy companies to force a cheaper takeover, that cost would in future tense be re-couped.

I know its not the same situation and we can't talk in unrealistic extremes but dictators do these sorts of takeovers overnight. :lol:

UFGN as for your comments on the Tories, the fact is the Tories get into power by doing things, even if its just one issue, that the people want, if Labours opportunity (which is very much in step with their traditional policies anyway) is to push for nationalisation or at least get the ball rolling then they should take it ........ that is what the Tories did with Brexit, its time Labour started playing the game if they want the hot seat.
I'm not even saying Labour could do it in one term, but at least starting to light a fire under the Energy companies and start pushing for the needed legislation could put Labour in back to back terms just like Brexit did for the Tories.

It's me who suggested poisoning the energy companies not PG. It would be long, messy and litigious and not guaranteed to succeed. If it failed the cost would be horrific.

Our own judiciary is (at the time of writing, despite this governments best efforts) still independent and they are no pushovers. Breaking the law to achieve it wouldn't sit comfortably with me because I have condemned the Tories for repeatedly trying to break the law to force through policy, and I am not a hypocrite.

As for our resident playground lawyer RG, he's added precisely nothing except a bland and irrelevant comment, as per.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:04 pm

UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Exactly.

It's me who suggested poisoning the energy companies not PG. It would be long, messy and litigious and not guaranteed to succeed. If it failed the cost would be horrific.

Our own judiciary is (at the time of writing, despite this governments best efforts) still independent and they are no pushovers. Breaking the law to achieve it wouldn't sit comfortably with me because I have condemned the Tories for repeatedly trying to break the law to force through policy, and I am not a hypocrite.

As for our resident playground lawyer RG, he's added precisely nothing except a bland and irrelevant comment, as per.

You need to lay off the argumentum ad hominums, you'll feel better. Look up the East India Stock Dividend Redemption Act 1873 and the Airports Authority Act 1965 that nationalised the airports. I'd have thought being a lefty, you'd be all in favour of nationalised industries.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:46 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Exactly.

You need to lay off the argumentum ad hominums, you'll feel better. Look up the East India Stock Dividend Redemption Act 1873 and the Airports Authority Act 1965 that nationalised the airports. I'd have thought being a lefty, you'd be all in favour of nationalised industries.

It's not my fault that you think you talk a good talk, take it out on someone who has ever given you encouragement.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:45 pm

Government planning to cut redundancy pay entitlement.....

.....then make 91,000 people redundant

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-91k-jobs

UFGN

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:26 pm

UFGN wrote:Government planning to cut redundancy pay entitlement.....

https://youtu.be/xRGGbyZzuTg

^ Jarvis sums up my feelings on this (swear warning).
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:09 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
UFGN wrote:Government planning to cut redundancy pay entitlement.....

https://youtu.be/xRGGbyZzuTg

^ Jarvis sums up my feelings on this (swear warning).

Jarvis is such a hero. Love the guy. His songwriting is always spot on

Try out his recent book, Good Pop Bad Pop

UFGN

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:55 am

UFGN wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Exactly.

It's not my fault that you think you talk a good talk, take it out on someone who has ever given you encouragement.

Dear, oh dear. No response to the arguments raised again I see.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:43 am

Inflation drives fastest fall in real pay on record

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62550069

....and yet, the shameless right wing MSM will continue to attack working people for resorting to strike action

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:24 am

UFGN wrote:Inflation drives fastest fall in real pay on record

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62550069

....and yet, the shameless right wing MSM will continue to attack working people for resorting to strike action

The media won't be able to angle this one.

Every household is talking about inflation and energy costs.

If Labour ever wanted an open goal then this is it.

Let's see if their smart enough to jump on it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:59 pm

Revealed: Liz Truss supported cuts to NHS and doctors’ pay in thinktank report

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ank-report

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:25 pm

British republican arrested for shouting out "who elected him" during Charles proclamation

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ion-events

UFGN

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:28 pm

God help us all of that total nitwit Starmer ever gets into power.
Rather take our chances with Truss.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby UFGN » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:37 pm

jayramfootball wrote:God help us all of that total nitwit Starmer ever gets into power.

The Tories have more than doubled the national debt in their 12 years. Austerity AND doubled the debt....that's really special. They doubled it BEFORE Covid happened, and we have fk all to show for it except a divided, broken country

Yes please, let's have Starmer. Let's focus on the corruption and mismanagement the Tories have ACTUALLY DONE and are STILL DOING

UFGN

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:06 pm

UFGN wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:God help us all of that total nitwit Starmer ever gets into power.

The Tories have more than doubled the national debt in their 12 years. Austerity AND doubled the debt....that's really special. They doubled it BEFORE Covid happened, and we have fk all to show for it except a divided, broken country

Yes please, let's have Starmer. Let's focus on the corruption and mismanagement the Tories have ACTUALLY DONE and are STILL DOING

Starmer. No thanks
Get a new leader and maybe.
Till then, no.
I’d have actually voted for Corbyn over this idiot Truss, but no way in the world that bumbling t***er Starmer would be anything but an unmitigated disaster.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate