European Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: European Politics

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:57 am

Jedi wrote:
22-0 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Meeting of Biden, Boris and a number of European leaders tonight fearing Russia is about to invade Ukraine.

thats not what biden fears its prob what the russians uncover in ukraine.

What brand of crack are you smoking?

............ are you just asking for a friend?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:34 pm

BANJA LUKA, Bosnia, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Serb lawmakers voted on Friday to start work on pulling their autonomous Serb Republic out of Bosnia's armed forces, judiciary and tax system, in a non-binding motion meant to pave the way for secession from Bosnia.

The three institutions represent key pillars of joint security, rule of law and the economic system in Bosnia, which was divided into two autonomous regions - the Serb Republic and the Federation dominated by Croats and Bosniaks - after its 1992-1995 war.

they amounted to a strong statement of intent from Bosnian Serb leader Milorad Dodik, who has long complained about state institutions such as the judiciary and prosecutors, saying they were established based on decisions by international peace envoys and were not enshrined in the constitution.

"This is the moment of conquering the freedom for Republika Srpska," Dodik told the parliament. "Bosnia is an experiment ... I don't believe it can survive because it does not have an internal capacity to survive."

I don't fully understand the modern politics of the region, but have a fair understanding of the break up of the old Yugoslavia.

Bosnia seems like a pretty complicated affair, with the country being made up of Bosnia, Republika Srpska, and the tiny area of Brčko. The map below shows the country.

The white area is Bosnia, red is Republika Srpska (which wants independence) and the shaded area is Brčko.

The people in Republika Srpska are obviously still loyal to Serbia, and I imagine they're getting quietly encouraged by them.

I wonder what impact this would have? Could it start another civil war?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/se ... 021-12-10/
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Jedi » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:39 pm

Phil71 wrote:
BANJA LUKA, Bosnia, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Serb lawmakers voted on Friday to start work on pulling their autonomous Serb Republic out of Bosnia's armed forces, judiciary and tax system, in a non-binding motion meant to pave the way for secession from Bosnia.

The three institutions represent key pillars of joint security, rule of law and the economic system in Bosnia, which was divided into two autonomous regions - the Serb Republic and the Federation dominated by Croats and Bosniaks - after its 1992-1995 war.

they amounted to a strong statement of intent from Bosnian Serb leader Milorad Dodik, who has long complained about state institutions such as the judiciary and prosecutors, saying they were established based on decisions by international peace envoys and were not enshrined in the constitution.

"This is the moment of conquering the freedom for Republika Srpska," Dodik told the parliament. "Bosnia is an experiment ... I don't believe it can survive because it does not have an internal capacity to survive."

I don't fully understand the modern politics of the region, but have a fair understanding of the break up of the old Yugoslavia.

Bosnia seems like a pretty complicated affair, with the country being made up of Bosnia, Republika Srpska, and the tiny area of Brčko. The map below shows the country.

The white area is Bosnia, red is Republika Srpska (which wants independence) and the shaded area is Brčko.

The people in Republika Srpska are obviously still loyal to Serbia, and I imagine they're getting quietly encouraged by them.

If Republika Srpska were to try and secede, yes, it would almost certainly lead to another war.

To be completely honest, I think this is a direct response to what's been going on with Kosovo.

Specifically, Kosovo government and Albania recently signed a couple of agreements and removed border control between the two countries all while talking about about a future goal of unification, something Serbia has feared for a long time.

So this is the Serbs signaling to the west that if we're gonna play these games where borders are based on ethnic lines, Serbs also have ethnic territories we'd like to unify with.

Sadly, It's a conflict that can never be solved because, from the Serbian perspective, the simultaneous existence of BiH and Kosovo is a paradox.

Either we have multicultural countries in the Balkan, in which case, Kosovo with its Albanian majority should've remained part of Serbia, or we're creating ethnostates in which case Republika Srpska shouldn't be part of BiH.

This is also why the EU blocked Serbia and Kosovo from reaching an agreement a few years ago because it involved territorial exchange on ethnic lines. They feared this would give precedent to Republika Srpska seceding, but imo they're a bit too late and they created that precedent the day they recognized Kosovo as an independent country.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Royal Gooner » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:43 am

Yugoslavia still a screwed up area?
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:09 am

Jedi wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

If Republika Srpska were to try and secede, yes, it would almost certainly lead to another war.

To be completely honest, I think this is a direct response to what's been going on with Kosovo.

Specifically, Kosovo government and Albania recently signed a couple of agreements and removed border control between the two countries all while talking about about a future goal of unification, something Serbia has feared for a long time.

So this is the Serbs signaling to the west that if we're gonna play these games where borders are based on ethnic lines, Serbs also have ethnic territories we'd like to unify with.

Sadly, It's a conflict that can never be solved because, from the Serbian perspective, the simultaneous existence of BiH and Kosovo is a paradox.

Either we have multicultural countries in the Balkan, in which case, Kosovo with its Albanian majority should've remained part of Serbia, or we're creating ethnostates in which case Republika Srpska shouldn't be part of BiH.

This is also why the EU blocked Serbia and Kosovo from reaching an agreement a few years ago because it involved territorial exchange on ethnic lines. They feared this would give precedent to Republika Srpska seceding, but imo they're a bit too late and they created that precedent the day they recognized Kosovo as an independent country.

That's interesting Jedi. I wasn't aware of the Kosovan issue.

Do you think this all goes back to the Ottoman occupation and the mistreatment of Christians?

I think during the Tito era this sort of public division and also nationalism was suppressed. That's how the regime managed to control everything. But as soon as he died it all started to surface, with Slovenians wanting Slovenia, and so on. Let's face it. The Serbs in Bosnia are Serbs, and they will never be happy living outside a greater Serbia.

What will the Croat reaction be to all of this?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:09 pm

The balkans have been a problem even before the Ottomans.

I don't think today's current issues are anything to do with the Ottomans, its modern day politics of ethnic and religion ......... basically any excuse to have their own territory and Government who they feel will be for the people.

The basic failure of the balkans is that there isn't a Government state strong enough to stamp its authority on the region, the balkans are always open to rebellion, wars and coups, things that you could never imagine happening in places like Germany, France or England.

When you have weak armies & Gov'ts power plays are always going to be on the cards, look at Africa.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:40 pm

This build up of Russian troops and hardware along the front in Ukraine is worrying. It's estimated that there are now over 100,000 troops there and increasing numbers of armoured divisions. I think we may get a war there before long.

The situation in Iran is also quietly escalating, with them not far away from having enough uranium to build an atom bomb. The Israelies will simply not allow that to happen, and I have no doubt they will strike before long to prevent it - and they'll face little or no opposition in the region. The Saudis will hold their coat for them in fact. The last thing they want is Iran being the dominant muslim power in the region - for two reasons. One they're not Arab, and two they're Shi'ite. Heretics in the eyes of the Saudis. The Americans will support Israel if they need it.

And as if those two were not enough, we have the Chinese poised to invade Taiwan and annexe it as part of a greater China. Will anyone intervene? I doubt it, but it's not ideal that we have naval craft - even an aircraft carrier in the region. If that or any of the American ships that are there were to be hit by the Chinese it may be different.

So three things to not look forward to in 2022.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:33 pm

Meanwhile in England my auntie tells me some worker in Tesco's said they're not allowed to say the word "Pink" anymore when she asked for a pink outfit for her baby Grand daughter.

Talk about first world problems.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:58 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Meanwhile in England my auntie tells me some worker in Tesco's said they're not allowed to say the word "Pink" anymore when she asked for a pink outfit for her baby Grand daughter.

Did they say why?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:03 am

Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Meanwhile in England my auntie tells me some worker in Tesco's said they're not allowed to say the word "Pink" anymore when she asked for a pink outfit for her baby Grand daughter.

Did they say why?

New policy, can't associate pink with girls etc so not allowed to use the word.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby 22-0 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:06 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Did they say why?

Western culture needs a hard reset.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:58 pm

22-0 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Did they say why?

Bring it back the the values we held true in the Victorian era.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerred » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:10 pm

That's ridiculous. If you want a pink outfit for your granddaughter you ask for pink, if you want yellow, you ask for yellow. They can't police what we say.
Last edited by Goonerred on Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:03 pm

I call BS on that one
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:46 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
22-0 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Did they say why?

Bring it back the the values we held true in the Victorian era.

I was only saying to the wife the other day how our chimney would be much cleaner if we could send a malnourished 8 year old up there.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate