European Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: European Politics

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:39 pm

LMAO wrote:What? I know Europeans have different mentalities than us. I said if Europe wanted to be a superpower, not that they would want to.

That difference in mentality is why we have military bases all over Europe and spend so much on NATO.

Only EU fanatics like Verhofstadt want that. The rest of the EU were happy with a trading block and occasional political meddling.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:03 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:What? I know Europeans have different mentalities than us. I said if Europe wanted to be a superpower, not that they would want to.

That difference in mentality is why we have military bases all over Europe and spend so much on NATO.

Who is Europe?

Europe is a continent made up of countries.

If you're on about the EU then that is France and Germany, the rest of the EU won't fancy going from 2nd rate members to nothing but an after thought.

Also that's not why you have military bases all over the world, its because your one of the biggest countries and so have a bigger budget for defence / war than European nations do.

From context, Europe is the EU.

We have a GDP of $22.7T. The EU has a GDP of $17.1T. I don't want to hear this crap about the second largest economy and the third largest population in the world not having the money or the size for defense, especially when multiple EU countries have called for a unified military. They need to shit or get off the pot.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:06 am

LMAO wrote:From context, Europe is the EU.

We have a GDP of $22.7T. The EU has a GDP of $17.1T. I don't want to hear this crap about the second-largest economy and the third-largest population in the world not having the money or the size for defense, especially when multiple EU countries have called for a unified military. They need to shit or get off the pot.

Cold war thinking - just pissing billions away on equipment and manpower that can't even beat a bunch of Vietnamese/Afghan locals - it's a complete waste of time. If there is another war it will be fought with remote technology, from secure basements, by computer nerds.

However, if there is another war we will all be dead in a few hours - US / EU / Russia / China wherever ... to believe different is just archaic.

Better spend the money on making life better not planing to wipe it out.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:59 pm

LMAO wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Who is Europe?

Europe is a continent made up of countries.

If you're on about the EU then that is France and Germany, the rest of the EU won't fancy going from 2nd rate members to nothing but an after thought.

Also that's not why you have military bases all over the world, its because your one of the biggest countries and so have a bigger budget for defence / war than European nations do.

From context, Europe is the EU.

We have a GDP of $22.7T. The EU has a GDP of $17.1T. I don't want to hear this crap about the second largest economy and the third largest population in the world not having the money or the size for defense, especially when multiple EU countries have called for a unified military. They need to shit or get off the pot.

.......... again, the EU is not a country, its a trading bloc made up of countries.

The EU doesn't have $17.T, the countries (not states) combined do if that's what you're stating.

Your over estimating what the EU actually is, yes France and Germany bleat on about it becoming an actual federation but for 90% of its members the EU is and is supposed to be, just a trading bloc and mutual interest.

Like I said, I just don't think you get it from the perspective of independent countries, not states.

This EU Superstate has imo around 10% chance of ever becoming a reality, its basically France and Germany trying to revive the Holy Roman Empire of West Francia and East Francia, countries like Spain, Poland, Italy, Austria, Hungary etc will never give up their soverienty.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:44 am

EliteKiller wrote:
LMAO wrote:From context, Europe is the EU.

We have a GDP of $22.7T. The EU has a GDP of $17.1T. I don't want to hear this crap about the second-largest economy and the third-largest population in the world not having the money or the size for defense, especially when multiple EU countries have called for a unified military. They need to shit or get off the pot.

Cold war thinking - just pissing billions away on equipment and manpower that can't even beat a bunch of Vietnamese/Afghan locals - it's a complete waste of time. If there is another war it will be fought with remote technology, from secure basements, by computer nerds.

However, if there is another war we will all be dead in a few hours - US / EU / Russia / China wherever ... to believe different is just archaic.

Better spend the money on making life better not planing to wipe it out.

Vietnam wasn't an offensive war for us; America was there to defend the South, and we did. South Vietnam fell after we left.

The US military ran the Taliban out of power in a couple months and stomped Saddam's fourth largest army in the world in three weeks. Conquest is much easier than occupation.

Defense still works and is needed. There's a reason Russia hasn't attacked any NATO countries whereas Putin doesn't mind f***ing with Ukraine (and Georgia).
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:53 am

DiamondGooner wrote:.......... again, the EU is not a country, its a trading bloc made up of countries.

The EU doesn't have $17.T, the countries (not states) combined do if that's what you're stating.

Your over estimating what the EU actually is, yes France and Germany bleat on about it becoming an actual federation but for 90% of its members the EU is and is supposed to be, just a trading bloc and mutual interest.

Like I said, I just don't think you get it from the perspective of independent countries, not states.

This EU Superstate has imo around 10% chance of ever becoming a reality, its basically France and Germany trying to revive the Holy Roman Empire of West Francia and East Francia, countries like Spain, Poland, Italy, Austria, Hungary etc will never give up their soverienty.

Yes, but my point is that some of the EU wants to go further than that, and that's where the money and population comes in. It's not just Germany and France. Italy and Hungary have voiced support for a European military (I think Greece may have too?).

I also know it won't work unless there's a separate agreement from specific countries. The Baltic states and Poland love America (NATO) and would much prefer to cozy up with us because of the Cold War days and they don't trust Western Europe for protection as much as America.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:43 pm

Meeting of Biden, Boris and a number of European leaders tonight fearing Russia is about to invade Ukraine.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby 22-0 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:11 am

Phil71 wrote:Meeting of Biden, Boris and a number of European leaders tonight fearing Russia is about to invade Ukraine.

thats not what biden fears its prob what the russians uncover in ukraine.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby 22-0 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:12 am

Phil71 wrote:Meeting of Biden, Boris and a number of European leaders tonight fearing Russia is about to invade Ukraine.

22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Phil71 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:55 am

22-0 wrote:

Like what?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby 22-0 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:45 am

ukraine has been the hotspot for US politicians for everything under the sun.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Jedi » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:55 pm

22-0 wrote:

What brand of crack are you smoking?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Phil71 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:55 pm

22-0 wrote:ukraine has been the hotspot for US politicians for everything under the sun.

Like what?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:01 pm

Germany has a new chancellor for the first time in 16 years. Maybe their new government with Baerbock as foreign minister will be tougher on China and Russia.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:07 pm

LMAO wrote:Germany has a new chancellor for the first time in 16 years. Maybe their new government with Baerbock as foreign minister will be tougher on China and Russia.

They've already said that they will.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate