American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:07 am

LMAO wrote:I wouldn't be so sure. The Tea Party wing of the GOP made a huge splash in the House in 2010 and almost took back the Senate, yet Obama beat Romney pretty solidly in 2012. Democrats got killed in both houses during the '94 midterms, yet Clinton comfortably won reelection in '96. Republicans did poorly in the '86 midterms, but Bush Sr. cruised to victory in '88 (granted, he wasn't the incumbent, but he was Reagan's VP). Same in 1970; Nixon was a "lame-duck" but absolutely destroyed McGovern in '72.

It'll mostly depend on how the electorate sees the economy and national security around August-September 2024. As much as I don't like it, a good chunk of Americans have short memories and are more of 'in the moment' thinkers.

Honestly, I'd love 2024 to be a matchup of Biden and Phil Scott (Vermont governor). He is currently the only Republican that would actually make me think twice as I'd love for the GOP to be dominated by Rockefeller Republicans and be a sane counterweight to Democrats (if they were the dominant wing of the GOP, then I'd probably be one tbh). But, Scott is waaaaaaay too liberal for the contemporary GOP national base.

Both Obama and Clinton were standing at +10% in their personal polling - Biden is underwater at -10% ....

Whilst there is no guarantee that a popular President can overcome a mid-term reverse the examples you highlight managed it - I couldn't find a single example in US history of an unpopular President managing it (not without a major war)

Most elections are won and lost on how Joe voter feels about the dollar in his pocket - it's the economy stupid - even if Biden were to miraculously spin the economy back up, not sure he can do it fast enough to save him at the midterms.

The Virginia vote will be interesting - +10 points statewide for Biden - that would be a massive swing if the Reps can turn it over for Governor ... a real vote rather than what have proven to be wildly inaccurate polls ... I don't believe that they can, but they might.

Phil Scott would walk it - he has maintained massive support in a traditional swing state - good choice.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:16 pm

To be fair I don't care if someone votes Democrat or Republican but one thing I will say is .................

Both parties need to do better, I don't think that can be argued, Biden is a disgrace.

I'm no Trump fan but one thing I do respect him for is he tried to deliver on what he told his supporters he was going to do, not saying all those things were good things, the blocking muslims from entering America from selected countries was completely ret*rded but I have to respect a guy who made promises and tried to give his voters what they were asking for including building the wall, whether you agree or not, he promised it, he built it.

If he does dipose Biden, that will be why, Democrat voters have lost faith in Biden, Trump supporters haven't despite his antics.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:40 am

Based Beijing Biden :cool:

And his pick for ambassador to China:

Looks like the Cold War 2 is well underway.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:49 pm

Can I just ask one thing ..............

Why does America care what happens to Taiwan?

You lot stick your noses into the strangest of place, you live on a landlocked nation, why don't you lot just fkin stay there and leave everyone else to it lol?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:45 pm

I don't want our armed forces involved in a war over Taiwan.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Jedi » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:59 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Can I just ask one thing ..............

You lot stick your noses into the strangest of place, you live on a landlocked nation, why don't you lot just fkin stay there and leave everyone else to it lol?

This is a very bizarre and frankly childish view of the world. Should the US have stayed out of WW2 because It wasn't being fought in Northern America? Just take a moment and think about the consequences if that happened - we could all be living in Nazi Europe today. We're no longer in medieval times where just your neighboring countries are potential allies and threats. For world powers like US, China, EU and Russia, the entire world is their sphere of influence.

Taiwan is an ally of the US and the people there want to stay free and don't want to live under communism. Just because they don't live geographically close to the US doesn't mean they don't deserve to have their rights protected.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby LMAO » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:46 am

How are we landlocked? We literally border the Pacific, Atlantic, and Arctic Oceans lol

It's not strange if you've been paying attention to the region over the past few decades. Taiwan is one of the most geopolitically important countries in the world. There's a reason the US will go to war over Taiwan that we didn't for Crimea and Hong Kong. There are three main reasons:
1. Taiwan dominates semiconductor manufacturing with 63% market share (TSMC alone accounts for 54%). If China controls Taiwan, then the rest of the world is at the mercy of the CCP. I hope you're able see how that's meaningful in regards to both national security and consumer goods.
2. China annexing Taiwan breaks the first island chain. Free trade could no longer be guaranteed with China controlling the SCS. 1/3 of global trade passes through the SCS. The disruption to global trade could be massive with the world being at the mercy of the CCP as above. Also, breaking the first island chain gives the Chinese navy unrestricted access to the western Pacific, which is a massive national security risk to us as China could then project its force beyond its territorial waters.
3. Taiwan is a staple of liberal democracy in East Asia and is one of our most important allies. The Cold War II isn't between capitalism and communism because capitalism already won the last one. This one will be liberal democracy and authoritarianism, and we can't be seen allowing a close liberal democratic ally to be overrun by their authoritarian neighbor.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:59 am

Phil71 wrote:I don't want our armed forces involved in a war over Taiwan.

They will be though.

China attempting an invasion of Taiwan will get the US, Japan, and Australia involved, Canada will likely join, and the UK will be dragged along with its Anglosphere brethren. There's a decent chance other countries provide support too.

Hopefully though, Biden making a definite statement signals to Xi and the rest of the CCP that an attempt on Taiwan isn't worth the CCP's potential destruction. But with China's economic and demographic problems, who knows? A cornered animal is a dangerous one.

Jedi wrote:

This is a very bizarre and frankly childish view of the world. Should the US have stayed out of WW2 because It wasn't being fought in Northern America? Just take a moment and think about the consequences if that happened - we could all be living in Nazi Europe today. We're no longer in medieval times where just your neighboring countries are potential allies and threats. For world powers like US, China, EU and Russia, the entire world is their sphere of influence.

Taiwan is an ally of the US and the people there want to stay free and don't want to live under communism. Just because they don't live geographically close to the US doesn't mean they don't deserve to have their rights protected.

tbf we likely would have had Japan not attacked Pearl Harbor.

But as top dog now, the US has a world order to maintain.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Jedi wrote:

Don't be an idiot all your life, your issue is you think too much with ideology, that's just peasant media politics ......... they care about that crap on CNN and any other place they get clicks and views, no one in the corridors of power give a sht about that.

In the upper levels no one gives a fk about Taiwan wanting to be free of bloody Communism, what they care about is what LMAO has written in his post, commercial, tactical and resources.

On your WW2 comment I would advise you to go review your history, America ONLY joined in because of Pearl Harbour and that Hitler was a global threat, the man invaded Europe and controlled Poland, France etc.
Imagine if he succeeded in capturing England and Russia?? Hitler had got Italy and Japan on his side, Japan then attacked America, it was "obviously" time to get on board.

Tai-fkin-wan is not even in the same category as that situation, not even a 2/10 comparison, such a silly thing to say.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:46 pm

LMAO wrote:How are we landlocked? We literally border the Pacific, Atlantic, and Arctic Oceans lol

Bad choice of words I mean't the opposite of land locked, no land borders (except Mexico / Canada).
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:06 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Don't be an idiot all your life, your issue is you think too much with ideology, that's just peasant media politics ......... they care about that crap on CNN and any other place they get clicks and views, no one in the corridors of power give a sht about that.

In the upper levels no one gives a fk about Taiwan wanting to be free of bloody Communism, what they care about is what LMAO has written in his post, commercial, tactical and resources.

On your WW2 comment I would advise you to go review your history, America ONLY joined in because of Pearl Harbour and that Hitler was a global threat, the man invaded Europe and controlled Poland, France etc.
Imagine if he succeeded in capturing England and Russia?? Hitler had got Italy and Japan on his side, Japan then attacked America, it was "obviously" time to get on board.

Tai-fkin-wan is not even in the same category as that situation, not even a 2/10 comparison, such a silly thing to say.

It's not supposed to be a 1 to 1 comparison. It's an extreme example to point out the flaw in your isolationist worldview. You face the problem over there so you don't have to end up facing it at your own borders.

And where did I say anything about why the US joined WW2? I only said that it would come back to bite them if they didn't. Are we just making shit up now?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:

It's not supposed to be a 1 to 1 comparison. It's an extreme example to point out the flaw in your isolationist worldview. You face the problem over there so you don't have to end up facing it at your own borders.

And where did I say anything about why the US joined WW2? I only said that it would come back to bite them if they didn't. Are we just making shit up now?

US borders are threatened by Chinese plans for Taiwan?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:51 pm

Taiwan produces over half the world's semi-conductors. When Trump turned the screws on China with his trade war, Taiwan upped production to compensate for the reduction in chip numbers from China.

There is currently a global shortage in microchips. It's already causing huge problems for companies such as Apple, Sony, Cisco, Microsoft, Samsung and so on. If China takes control of Taiwan they will have the world by the bollocks.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:46 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=1989448#p1989448

2nd point
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:53 am

LMAO wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=1989448#p1989448

2nd point

So no then.
US borders are not threatened.

I get the potential economic impacts but that is not a threat to US borders at all.
China is already a threat economically and is able to launch an attack if it so chooses without annexing Taiwan.

It's really none of the US's business - and NO, the US does not have a "world order to maintain". Get lost with that. The US needs to mind it's own damn business. The world will do very nicely without their idea of a world order they need to maintain.

If the economic challenge of China was a big deal to the Democrats they would have supported Trump's policies in China. They didn't.

Biden's bleating now is simply because he's been told his approval ratings suck and he needs to say something that might give him some credit. He won't actually do anything because China clearly has him in their pocket.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate