British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Rockape wrote:I just think everyone will find it a massive relief to move forward from the endless Brexit debate. However we think or voted, there are going to be some interesting times ahead.

Time for the country to pull together and make it work.

Don't hold your breath, the Far Left aren't going anywhere.

"Hundreds of protesters came out onto the streets of the capital in the wake of Boris Johnson’s election victory. A heavy police presence was seen close to the Cenotaph in Whitehall, which was cordoned off as clashes broke out.

Demonstrators carrying placards with the slogans “No to Boris Johnson” and “Defy Tory Rule” cried out “Oh Jeremy Corbyn” and let off red smoke flares during angry protests. Some chanted “Boris Johnson: Not My Prime Minister” and “Boris, Boris, Boris: Out, Out, Out".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 1180987934

This is what annoys me about these radical protesters, democracy only works when the losing side respect the result, why on earth would you have a protest 24 hrs after one of the biggest majority victories in modern times?
It just shows once again how out of touch they are with every day Brits.

Labour really need to reclaim their party from Corbynism, its become a disease in their party and its getting them shredded at the electorate.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Phil71 wrote:Exactly.

The public voted leave because they were fed up with politicians not listening to them.

Despite that, the disdain for public opinion has continued for three years.

The way to win this election was to convince the public that they'd be listened to. Johnson did that.

I was warning our Left orietnated voters on here about this very issue 4 years ago.

The new Left just do not listen, they then shout down any dissending voices with "Your racist" people just got fed up with it.
I remember Question Time back 4 years ago and every week Labour or Libs would just say "racist" or "sexist" after almost every comment and it just got embarrassing, it was like a school play gorund.

Now it seems some of Labours more Left of centre are starting to pipe up and accept where they've gone wrong but Corbyn is just more typical not listening, his defiant speech was again just denial.

I want a decent Labour opposition in case I ever have to vote against the Tories, a sh*t Labour is helping nobody when they make themselves unelectable.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:49 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Exactly.

The public voted leave because they were fed up with politicians not listening to them.

Despite that, the disdain for public opinion has continued for three years.

The way to win this election was to convince the public that they'd be listened to. Johnson did that.

I was warning our Left orietnated voters on here about this very issue 4 years ago.

The new Left just do not listen, they then shout down any dissending voices with "Your racist" people just got fed up with it.
I remember Question Time back 4 years ago and every week Labour or Libs would just say "racist" or "sexist" after almost every comment and it just got embarrassing, it was like a school play gorund.

Now it seems some of Labours more Left of centre are starting to pipe up and accept where they've gone wrong but Corbyn is just more typical not listening, his defiant speech was again just denial.

I want a decent Labour opposition in case I ever have to vote against the Tories, a sh*t Labour is helping nobody when they make themselves unelectable.

To be fair it's not just politicians on the left who have been ignoring the public. It's most of them on all sides. It'd been going on for many years.

If the mainstream parties are not going to listen we need to change to an electoral system of proportional representation so that other Parties can step in.

It's ridiculous that Parties like Brexit and Green can get 5-10% of the vote each and get no seats, whilst Sinn Fein get 2% of the vote and six seats.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:35 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:I just think everyone will find it a massive relief to move forward from the endless Brexit debate. However we think or voted, there are going to be some interesting times ahead.

"Hundreds of protesters came out onto the streets of the capital in the wake of Boris Johnson’s election victory. A heavy police presence was seen close to the Cenotaph in Whitehall, which was cordoned off as clashes broke out.

Demonstrators carrying placards with the slogans “No to Boris Johnson” and “Defy Tory Rule” cried out “Oh Jeremy Corbyn” and let off red smoke flares during angry protests. Some chanted “Boris Johnson: Not My Prime Minister” and “Boris, Boris, Boris: Out, Out, Out".

This is what annoys me about these radical protesters, democracy only works when the losing side respect the result, why on earth would you have a protest 24 hrs after one of the biggest majority victories in modern times?

Labour really need to reclaim their party from Corbynism, its become a disease in their party and its getting them shredded at the electorate.

Yup. They claim to be defending democracy while protesting against it. :?

It's the same in the US or worse. No respect for others views or the results so they act like spoiled children.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Phil71 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:36 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It's the same in the US or worse. No respect for others views or the results so they act like spoiled children.

Some stupid hysterical woman was on the TV crying last night - saying how the result had made her distressed.

These people need to get a f***ing life.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Post Brexit? Any ideas what how things will turn out?

My take is that the UK and US will get a trade deal done quickly. I also think the EU will be looking to do the same, The net result should be great for the UK economy as competition is always a good thing for suppliers and consumers alike. If the UK could reach 2.5% GDP or higher lots of the funding issues will be mitigated. The fear is commiting monies to programmes that are not sustainable when a downturn occurs.

What I do know is that all of the sky is falling hysteria is not going to be proven to be true.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockape » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:08 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Don't hold your breath

As we know the far left (Momentum) infiltrated the Labour Party, when some bright spark allowed anyone to join the party for a £3 fee and have a vote for the leader. That is how Magic Grandad got in, in the first place and this new extreme but highly motivated group started systematically pushing out the old guard and replacing them with Corbynista’s. The party is now so badly split, they know it ain’t working, but won’t be able to turn it around in the next few years. Cue massive infighting, while the Torys disappear over the horizon.

And you were going to vote for these Muppets DG?? :cold2:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:Post Brexit? Any ideas what how things will turn out?

My take is that the UK and US will get a trade deal done quickly. I also think the EU will be looking to do the same, The net result should be great for the UK economy as competition is always a good thing for suppliers and consumers alike. If the UK could reach 2.5% GDP or higher lots of the funding issues will be mitigated. The fear is committing monies to programmes that are not sustainable when a downturn occurs.

What I do know is that all of the sky is falling hysteria is not going to be proven to be true.

It won't be as simple as that, the EU can't be seen giving concessions to a country that has just left and taken 10 billion a year with them, if they do the EU will quickly break apart (it might anyway). My guess is they will try and keep as much as possible the same as now hoping nobody notices. The real danger for the EU is that the UK becomes a low tax and low duty clearing house for trade goods from around the world that want access to the EU markets. If they give the UK too good a deal that's what might happen ....

As for the US a good deal is a no-brainer for both sides - right now Ireland is the clearing country for US/EU goods crossing the Atlantic, the UK can hoover up all that business by meeting or undercutting the Irish/EU taxes and duties ... exactly what the EU fear above.

The UK is now in a very good negotiating position, however if it gets too good a deal from either of it's main trading partners then it's relations with the other partner will suffer ... it's very much a balancing act.

The alternative is for the UK to just say bollocks to the EU and base it's trade with the other 200 countries around the world ... geography really doesn't matter all that much in today's global market. I might buy 100 tonnes of tomatoes from a South American company, chances are they will still come from Spain just the ownership will be different.

The need for clarification is key, business wants to know one way or another, the quicker the main planks of any deal can be agreed the better, the fine print can take a lot longer. What a lot of people seem to forget is that it's not just twelve months to do a deal, the vast majority of all the UK's new deals have already been agreed in principle over the last three and a half years, in that sense delay was good it gave negotiators loads of time to get stuff in place, expect to see deals with many countries ratified very quickly ... here's a list of those already done

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47213842
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 pm

Phil71 wrote:https://twitter.com/electoralreform/status/1205521431183941632?s=20

Much as I agree electoral reform is needed these comparisons are simply not that accurate, under FPTP as may as 30% of voters either can't (no candidate) or tactically choose not to vote for the party they would under a PR system.

Take the Brexit party - it stood in just 25% of seats and got 2% of the vote - under PR it would have been represented in every seat would it have therefore got closer to 10% of the vote? that's an un-measurable ... the same applies to the Greens would 1% in just a few seats have become 10% with national representation?

The "winners" under FPTP would lose seats under PR, no question about that but who would gain?

The only other guarantee is that the SNP would lose around 50% of their seats - that's just because they are ridiculously over represented now - apart from that certainty the rest is still pretty much guesswork.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:55 am

oh no
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Rockape wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Don't hold your breath

As we know the far left (Momentum) infiltrated the Labour Party, when some bright spark allowed anyone to join the party for a £3 fee and have a vote for the leader. That is how Magic Grandad got in, in the first place and this new extreme but highly motivated group started systematically pushing out the old guard and replacing them with Corbynista’s. The party is now so badly split, they know it ain’t working, but won’t be able to turn it around in the next few years. Cue massive infighting, while the Torys disappear over the horizon.

And you were going to vote for these Muppets DG?? :cold2:

I wasn't.

I just had a momentary lapse of whether or not the Con's should have carblanche when we don't know their intentions towards the NHS.

.................... this question is still yet to be answered, I'll give them "benefit of the doubt" but its for them to prove their doubters wrong.

I'm glad they won because action is what was needed and they'll deliver it, I've always said the ref result needed to be respected for the good of democracy, I mean UFGN has spent at least 2 years calling me a Brexiteer ........... however, my vote and I'm sure many swing voters, votes next election will and will only be on how the Con's go about their business as of now.

PS - Yes they are muppets.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Some stupid hysterical woman was on the TV crying last night - saying how the result had made her distressed.

These people need to get a f***ing life.

She's probably wondering who she can sue for compensation and some nutty judge will probably try and uphold it.

Its unfathomable how this new online gathering of groups has created such crazy people, humans at risk of being impressionable are just not able to process this new lifestyle.

Take a demented feminist, so instead of her being out in society and realising that her extreme views are alienating her from people in general and so adapts her behavior to fit in, what you get instead is she finds like minded nutters online who all pump each other up convincing themselves that their BS is acceptable .......... they then go full force into the real world backed by Lefty Libs who champion any cause they can discuss at their wine tasting City parties and there you have it ........... hundreds of them collected together on TV protesting while the normal world looks on aghast.

Its only when the election results keep coming out do they truly realise how much of a minority their extreme views are.

Trump wins, Brexit wins, Conservatives win and again.

But if you looked online you'd think Labour were making gains or that Trump has no chance of being re-elected.

People skew their own media to reflect the back patting they experience in their online circle, they'll never accept that society at large is a far bigger pond than they ever imagined because that would make them .............. insignificant.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:13 pm

:rolleyes: Spot on that! I have been a member of a mountain bike forum for over 12 years and in recent years it seems to have been infiltrated by a group of extreme lefties that relentlessly post on political threads their views, effectively all agreeing with each other and insulting anyone who tries to debate with them. The rest of the group have pretty much given up now, which leaves this little echo chamber all believing their own bullshit.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Anyone ever visited the politics forum on Digital Spy?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate