British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 pm

What happens next ............

Extension to Article 50

......... and I've got everything right so far for 12 months now.

I'll admit though what happens after the extension is anybodies guess ......... although I'd think May will try to get her deal through again that's for sure.

This is why Bercow has been forced to lay her down, she's going to keep putting this same deal forward and its a farce, I'm glad he did it, I don't care on his reasons.

To note though for the second time, if this was Remain plotting then why did he reasonably say "She can bring it forward again but only when their has been a substantial enough change to show she's not trying to put forward the same deal with no amendments"

Which is completely fair.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:06 pm

EliteKiller wrote:The problem with all these 'scenarios' pro or anti is that they are based on pure guesswork. When we look at countries in Europe but not in the EU they are all doing fine. When we look around the World at first world countries not in large trading blocs, they are also all doing fine. If there was any actual evidence of a country leaving a trading bloc and it's economy falling apart, or a country leaving a trading bloc and it's economy taking off, then that would be something to support an argument .... but there just isn't.

We voted to give it a go ... so let's do that ... we are a nation built on taking risks why change now?

I don't know about that. For starters, is that just a blanket statement without research or have you looked at other trading blocs and agreements historically? Also, have you looked deeply into what can cause a countries economy to fall apart historically?

I think back to the last financial crisis, which is probably what brought us here to Brexit; the risks taken in the the banking industry bore consequences for regular people whilst the higher ups ran off with the money. We paid for the bailouts and we're still paying for it. I don't buy into this notion that we will be fine. Who is 'we'? Whether it's short term pain or long term, it's regular people that pay the price even if a country has the ability to bounce back from economic ruin.

Worth watching.

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:23 pm

If May's deal went through after the hammering it took in those 2 votes it would be a total sham and those who changed their mind would have no integrity what so ever. There is no way a deal deemed that bad could ever in good faith be considered the best for this country no matter how much May tries to lie, cheat and steal it over the line. Bercow just followed proper procedure to stop her in her tracks. Honestly thank God.

History will look back at May and wonder why the hell she behaved the way she has. She called an election and lost her majority, it was pure arrogance to hog the whole process herself afterwards, not to mention the morality of not bringing such a historic issue to the whole parliament anyway.

I know everyone is sick of this but I think it is wrong to be worn down and give in by attrition, this is too important. I hope everyone stands strong in front of May and makes it clear we cannot accept a deal which has no cast iron unilateral decision to pull out. I am losing so much respect for those that are swinging around to supporting it and if the ERG do in the end that would be the biggest joke of Brexit.

Like I say we really need a general election quickly,

Tories: May's deal (no second ref)
Labour: Seek a soft brexit (then second ref, that or remain)
Lib Dems: Full remain

and let the chips fall where they may.

Either that or I hope the EU only grant an extension so long as it is a long one so that we have more time to actually take a breather and try and get this right. I don't see how a short extension without conditions is going to help.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:28 am

Power n Glory wrote:I don't know about that. For starters, is that just a blanket statement without research or have you looked at other trading blocs and agreements historically? Also, have you looked deeply into what can cause a countries economy to fall apart historically?

I think back to the last financial crisis, which is probably what brought us here to Brexit; the risks taken in the the banking industry bore consequences for regular people whilst the higher ups ran off with the money. We paid for the bailouts and we're still paying for it. I don't buy into this notion that we will be fine. Who is 'we'? Whether it's short term pain or long term, it's regular people that pay the price even if a country has the ability to bounce back from economic ruin.

Worth watching.

I've kept supplying the examples ....

Europe - Non EU Countries - Norway, Switzerland are the obvious two

World - Non Bloc Countries - Singapore, Panama

But the point remains that there is no empirical evidence either way, no country has left the EU and seen it's economy collapse and equally no country has left the EU and seen its economy grow ... we are all guessing

Linking the global financial crisis to Brexit? why? the Global economy is forecast to be strong in 2020 the exact opposite of a Global crisis, so why would you compare two opposing scenarios? they are not linked at all. You might 'believe' it will be a disaster, but that's just your guess. We voted to Leave but our elected representatives have done everything possible to overturn that vote ... abject cowardice and self protection

Something for you to consider, 90% of jobs in the UK are not directly impacted by the EU, we are an incredibly self-sufficient country. The only way leaving the EU impacts most people is on exchange rates and taxes, these are just as likely to be favorable as not. Your whole 'impact the ordinary people' is biased towards Brexit being a failure ... you and me and indeed everyone else don't know if Brexit will be good or bad ... that's why we had a referendum in the first place, we just ignored the outcome.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 am

Please stop using bloody Norway and Switzerland as examples. They're so obviously not comparable to the UK economy

EK I for one don't bother conversing with you much on brexit because your mental gymnastics make it impossible. And please don't come back with a long post about the merits of the Norwegian economy, this is just an example, albeit a very good one.

Please don't mistake a lack of sustained response from myself and others for you being right, its just over the months you've choked people out by being completely illogical
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:38 am

UFGN wrote:Please stop using bloody Norway and Switzerland as examples. They're so obviously not comparable to the UK economy

EK I for one don't bother conversing with you much on brexit because your mental gymnastics make it impossible. And please don't come back with a long post about the merits of the Norwegian economy, this is just an example, albeit a very good one.

Please don't mistake a lack of sustained response from myself and others for you being right, its just over the months you've choked people out by being completely illogical

If you would only learn to read .... I said

there is no empirical evidence either way, no country has left the EU and seen it's economy collapse and equally no country has left the EU and seen its economy grow ... we are all guessing

The fact is Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU, so they are legitimate comparisons, however I would agree 100% not very meaningful. They just show that not being in the EU does not guarantee failure, in fact far from it.

To try and describe "Project Fear" as logical and thus any opposition to it as illogical? that's bollocks.

I'll say it again, nobody knows what Brexit will do we are all just guessing. The only thing we do know is that the UK electorate voted LEAVE and the UK parliament has spectacularly failed to deliver on that referendum. Arguing that Brexit is good or bad post the referendum should never have happened, it's an abject failure of 650 semi-qualified MP's to follow the will of the people ... democracy at it's worst.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:14 am

Royal Gooner wrote:Plus we have just signed trade deals with Norway and Switzerland. This is a great opportunity for us. YEs short term it may be tough, but we have the Commonwealth and US to re-establish independent ties with.

Be careful what you wish for.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:33 am

I can't see any point in simply asking for more time to get her deal through Parliament. It's not going to happen.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:51 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:I don't know about that. For starters, is that just a blanket statement without research or have you looked at other trading blocs and agreements historically? Also, have you looked deeply into what can cause a countries economy to fall apart historically?

Worth watching.

I've kept supplying the examples ....

Europe - Non EU Countries - Norway, Switzerland are the obvious two

World - Non Bloc Countries - Singapore, Panama

But the point remains that there is no empirical evidence either way, no country has left the EU and seen it's economy collapse and equally no country has left the EU and seen its economy grow ... we are all guessing

Linking the global financial crisis to Brexit? why? the Global economy is forecast to be strong in 2020 the exact opposite of a Global crisis, so why would you compare two opposing scenarios? they are not linked at all. You might 'believe' it will be a disaster, but that's just your guess. We voted to Leave but our elected representatives have done everything possible to overturn that vote ... abject cowardice and self protection

Something for you to consider, 90% of jobs in the UK are not directly impacted by the EU, we are an incredibly self-sufficient country. The only way leaving the EU impacts most people is on exchange rates and taxes, these are just as likely to be favorable as not. Your whole 'impact the ordinary people' is biased towards Brexit being a failure ... you and me and indeed everyone else don't know if Brexit will be good or bad ... that's why we had a referendum in the first place, we just ignored the outcome.

So in one paragraph, you say this is all guess work, practically dismissing all the forecasts, even the IMF one I posted earlier which predicted massive job losses as a result of Brexit, but in the very next paragraph, you're relying on 'guess work' forecasts that predict a strong 2020.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:23 am

It sounds like they're reluctant to grant an extension unless there is a significant change in May's strategy. I think they want another referendum and that may be the only way to solve it.

How they go about that, isn't clear. Personally, I think there should be two phases. A simple in or out question again because there are people that have changed their minds now they have more information. If we still get a yes to leave from that result, there should be another referendum for the people to decide on May's deal or a No Deal.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am

LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:Plus we have just signed trade deals with Norway and Switzerland. This is a great opportunity for us. YEs short term it may be tough, but we have the Commonwealth and US to re-establish independent ties with.

Prepare for chlorine dipped chicken! Tasty!

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:01 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
LMAO wrote:

You don't have to buy it. Plain and simple. Supermarkets won't dare stock them because the British public have said they don't want it. It'll be a very simple: If the chicken is from the US, then don't buy it.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:04 pm

Power n Glory wrote:It sounds like they're reluctant to grant an extension unless there is a significant change in May's strategy. I think they want another referendum and that may be the only way to solve it.

How they go about that, isn't clear. Personally, I think there should be two phases. A simple in or out question again because there are people that have changed their minds now they have more information. If we still get a yes to leave from that result, there should be another referendum for the people to decide on May's deal or a No Deal.

As we all know the EU don't have a good track record on negotiating fair terms with member countries (more used to dictating their way) and their attitude to referendums is clear. If they don't get the result they want, the country must vote again until they get the "correct" result.

Besides all it takes is for a France or Irish republic to say no, and we will be leaving on the 29th without a deal.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:35 pm

:rofll:

This is too funny.

If anyone was ever unclear about the fact that Remanier May's Brexit deal wasn't going to have us over a barrel and tied to the EU forever then let this statement clarify that for you.

"Tusk says EU will only give UK short article 50 extension if MPs pass Brexit deal"

In other words the EU will use the Backstop to demand what they want from us come actual negotiation time, nick our fishing waters, nick Gibraltar and god know's what else.

This sh*t is hilarious.

The fact that they seem to want this deal more than even us Remaining goes to show where all the leverage is.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
LMAO wrote:

You don't have to buy it. Plain and simple. Supermarkets won't dare stock them because the British public have said they don't want it. It'll be a very simple: If the chicken is from the US, then don't buy it.

It will end up on the shelves if the supermarkets run low on stock and it will probably be cheaper. They’ll end up compromising. The British Public can’t stop eating McDonald’s so I doubt chlorine dipped chicken will stop them. Same debate was had on GM crops and then we end up with organic food but at a premium price. Loads of examples of the crap they’re allowed to sell already that’s a slow burner to an early death.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate