British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby Rockape » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Well, hindsight’s a wonderful thing!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Rockape wrote:Well, hindsight’s a wonderful thing!

So is having a Gov't who don't shaft the people after a democratic decision.

If people actually wake the fk up, which I believe they will after the betrayal is complete, there will be serious consequences to how seriously the general public are going to take this back stabbing.

I'd like to see the whole of Parliament called into question, along with any decisions they make as "law" .......... because obviously decisions and votes mean fk all.

History is littered with revolts and riots following such slips of the democratic mask.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:02 pm

The real trouble will be if they cant sort out the Irish border issues

Doesn't bare thinking about
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Phil71 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:52 am

She'll be out by the end of next week.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Labour front bencher still has drug dealing son on Parliament payroll.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/labour-m ... n-11540743
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pudpop » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:01 am

Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 am

Pudpop wrote:https://www.businesslive.co.za/amp/bd/world/europe/2018-11-06-regrexit-british-voters-now-want-to-stay-in-the-eu-poll-shows/

I think most people are sick to their back teeth with it, and would see a tick in the remain box as a way to just get rid of the whole f***ing tedious business.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Pudpop wrote:https://www.businesslive.co.za/amp/bd/world/europe/2018-11-06-regrexit-british-voters-now-want-to-stay-in-the-eu-poll-shows/

Honestly this means nothing.

The polls have failed repeatedly ever since online canvassing has become a thing, when people used to do door to door they were more accurate back then, now people either refuse to air their views till voting day or the figures are skewered by online canvassing which doesn't reach everyone.

Why do you think no one saw Brexit or Trump coming?

Anyway if some Leave voters are changing their mind its because the Gov't have been deliberately not giving people the Brexit they wanted.

I honestly at this point don't care if we Leave or Remain, but what I do care about is the outrageous subversion of democracy that's taking place, that to me is a bigger issue than this whole Leave / Remain stuff.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 pm

I think with hindsight, the decision to appoint a remainer to lead brexit was undemocratic.

What was needed from day one was someone to sit in front of the EU and state categorically that no deal was very much an option.

As it is it has been wishy washy and they have us over a barrel.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pudpop » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Depends really. If you voted Conservative then you don't really have a right to say they shouldn't have appointed May. They're the ruling party.

I would feel for UKIP Voters though.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pudpop » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:04 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Honestly this means nothing.

The polls have failed repeatedly ever since online canvassing has become a thing, when people used to do door to door they were more accurate back then, now people either refuse to air their views till voting day or the figures are skewered by online canvassing which doesn't reach everyone.

The online polls were more accurate than phone based calls

Why do you think no one saw Brexit or Trump coming?

Brexit was clearly a toss up in the month leading up to the election. All the polls showed it would be tight.

Anyway if some Leave voters are changing their mind its because the Gov't have been deliberately not giving people the Brexit they wanted.

While this may have some truth to it the idea of 'the Brexit people wanted' is ridiculous. There was no consensus over what Brexit meant at the time of the referendum.

I honestly at this point don't care if we Leave or Remain, but what I do care about is the outrageous subversion of democracy that's taking place, that to me is a bigger issue than this whole Leave / Remain stuff.

Democracy has not been subverted. You will still have another election to voice your complaints. Don't like how the Conservatives have handled Brexit? Vote them out next election. There's democracy.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 pm

The supreme irony is, brexiteers wanted to "take back control"

Well this is your first taste of the British Government taking back control. If you don't like it maybe see if you can take them to court in Europe
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Pudpop wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Anyway if some Leave voters are changing their mind its because the Gov't have been deliberately not giving people the Brexit they wanted.

Pudpop wrote:While this may have some truth to it the idea of 'the Brexit people wanted' is ridiculous. There was no consensus over what Brexit meant at the time of the referendum.

Democracy has not been subverted. You will still have another election to voice your complaints. Don't like how the Conservatives have handled Brexit? Vote them out next election. There's democracy.

Yes it was.

The choices were quite simple despite the ramblings being spewed since.

Leave the EU ......... or Remain in the EU.

There was no option for "Pretend to leave the EU but keep and adopt all the rules so we can stay in by default".

Now it is true they didn't specify "how" they would leave the EU, so I guess as long as they actually leave and are not members of the EU and don't have any tie ins then its job done.

As for Democracy being subverted, you can't comment on it right now because despite Theresa May's efforts the Remain camp or even the Leave camp may yet as they are threatening to do ............ vote down any deal put to Parliament.

If we don't leave the EU because of that then Democracy has indeed been subverted.

Democracy means there is a vote, then the Gov deliver on the vote, it doesn't mean we need to have three votes / elections for them to actually deliver.

Conservatives promised to deliver on the referendum result, if they don't do it then that is a subversion of Democracy and I'll explain why ...............

Its Theresa May who is refusing "No Deal" or even to prepare for it, so hence if Parliament vote down her patched up Soft Brexit we will by default still be in the EU, but if she had gone for "No Deal" then there isn't anything to vote on, if May's mandate two years ago was "We're leaving fully" then all this time the EU would of been making a deal based on that and Parliament wouldn't be embroiled in battling over the terms of this middle ground.

It would of just been "No Deal" done, we're out.

I'm not saying it would of been best for the country doing that, we'll never know, but if someone was firm on making Brexit a clean success then "No Deal" would of been the starting point to guarantee leaving.

This has not been the case as Phil71 has said.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Everyone said that Brexit would be bloody hard to work out except headline brexiteers

I said Northern Ireland would be a big problem. I was told I didn't know what I was talking about.

Turns out Brexit has been very hard to work out, largely because of Northern Ireland. That's just a fact. There's no point blaming the government.

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 pm

UFGN wrote:Everyone said that Brexit would be bloody hard to work out except headline brexiteers

I said Northern Ireland would be a big problem. I was told I didn't know what I was talking about.

Turns out Brexit has been very hard to work out, largely because of Northern Ireland. That's just a fact. There's no point blaming the government.

That's bollocks because obviously it was going to be hard but then if it was an impossible situation (which its not by the way most countries are not in the EU) and the Gov't couldn't fulfil it then they shouldn't of offered the referendum simple as that!

The Gov't shouldn't be writing cheques they can't cash but they did so its on them to deliver, its not the voters fault who only did what they were asked to do and voted.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate