British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world.
Please remember everyone has their own opinion

Re: British Politics

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 am

Callum wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:Let's see who the Conservatives have helped
Rising employment
The minimum wage
Gay rights
Flexible zero hours contracts to help students earn
Smaller businesses booming due to lower tax.
Self employed people earning more
IT sector booming due to lower tax
Best of the cream of talent coming to UK universities due to Universities being well funded by Tuition fees.

I don't have the energy to go into the other topics but it's worth remembering whilst Cameron's government introduced gay marriage legislation to the Commons, more Tory MPs voted against it than for it. It only passed because of support from Labour and the Liberal Democrats.


Because Cameron 3 line whipped them instead of giving them a free vote as he should have.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7631
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: British Politics

Postby Callum » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Callum wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:Let's see who the Conservatives have helped
Rising employment
The minimum wage
Gay rights
Flexible zero hours contracts to help students earn
Smaller businesses booming due to lower tax.
Self employed people earning more
IT sector booming due to lower tax
Best of the cream of talent coming to UK universities due to Universities being well funded by Tuition fees.

I don't have the energy to go into the other topics but it's worth remembering whilst Cameron's government introduced gay marriage legislation to the Commons, more Tory MPs voted against it than for it. It only passed because of support from Labour and the Liberal Democrats.


Because Cameron 3 line whipped them instead of giving them a free vote as he should have.

Did he? I always remember it being a free vote and he had to call upon Miliband and Labour to come help him pass it through. Do you have a source?
User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Coquelin's back pocket

Re: British Politics

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:08 pm

Callum wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Callum wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:Let's see who the Conservatives have helped
Rising employment
The minimum wage
Gay rights
Flexible zero hours contracts to help students earn
Smaller businesses booming due to lower tax.
Self employed people earning more
IT sector booming due to lower tax
Best of the cream of talent coming to UK universities due to Universities being well funded by Tuition fees.

I don't have the energy to go into the other topics but it's worth remembering whilst Cameron's government introduced gay marriage legislation to the Commons, more Tory MPs voted against it than for it. It only passed because of support from Labour and the Liberal Democrats.


Because Cameron 3 line whipped them instead of giving them a free vote as he should have.

Did he? I always remember it being a free vote and he had to call upon Miliband and Labour to come help him pass it through. Do you have a source?


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... lions.html

And incidentally, Labour whipped their MPs too.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2012/09/l ... illiberal/
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7631
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: British Politics

Postby Callum » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:24 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
Callum wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Callum wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:Let's see who the Conservatives have helped
Rising employment
The minimum wage
Gay rights
Flexible zero hours contracts to help students earn
Smaller businesses booming due to lower tax.
Self employed people earning more
IT sector booming due to lower tax
Best of the cream of talent coming to UK universities due to Universities being well funded by Tuition fees.

I don't have the energy to go into the other topics but it's worth remembering whilst Cameron's government introduced gay marriage legislation to the Commons, more Tory MPs voted against it than for it. It only passed because of support from Labour and the Liberal Democrats.


Because Cameron 3 line whipped them instead of giving them a free vote as he should have.

Did he? I always remember it being a free vote and he had to call upon Miliband and Labour to come help him pass it through. Do you have a source?


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... lions.html

And incidentally, Labour whipped their MPs too.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2012/09/l ... illiberal/


That article doesn't say he whipped the votes, it just says the majority of them voted opposite the way of Cameron.
Gay marriage

The Prime Minister suffered one of his biggest rebellions over gay marriage with 134 of his MPs voting against in May last year.

Mr Cameron was in the Commons to hear that the bill had passed by 366 to 161 and despite the rebellion there was applause in the House when the result was announced.

Afterwards Mr Cameron said that there were “young boys in schools today who are gay” who will “stand a little bit taller today and I am proud of the fact that that has happened.”

Nicky Morgan, the Education Secretary and equalities minister, voted against the move but has since said she has changed her mind and would back it if voting again.
User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Coquelin's back pocket

Re: British Politics

Postby GoonerAlexis » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:21 pm

I wonder if male politicians posted photos of young women they liked, whether it'd be as okay as when females do it?
GoonerAlexis
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21258
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:31 am

Re: British Politics

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:51 am

Please please please please please to all the Gods can we not have any of that 'sue the government if policies impact on a companies profits under a secret court' bullshit in the US/UK trade deal or we are screwed. Brexit laws need to be made without swords like that hanging over our neck and there would be nothing worse than voting to get our sovereignty back and then just handing it to multi national corporations.

Nothing as well that further forces American health companies into our own system.
User avatar
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13796
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: London

Re: British Politics

Postby Yago » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:57 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40842017

"The old have comprehensively shafted the young," added Sir Vince. "And the old have had the last word about Brexit, imposing a world view coloured by nostalgia for an imperial past on a younger generation much more comfortable with modern Europe."

it's true init
Yago
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5491
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Re: British Politics

Postby GoonerAlexis » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:06 pm

I find that sort of statement stupid.

Completely disagree with what the old ones decided on BREXIT, but they have a right to vote, and a right to their opinion. They turn up at the polls, if the youth don't like it, they could do the turning up as well

The senior people in our country have earned the right to have their voice heard, with their contribution to the country over the years, and during the war as well, let's not forget those older than 72 actually saw the war
GoonerAlexis
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21258
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:31 am

Re: British Politics

Postby Royal Gooner » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Plus those who lived before 1972 knew what a great nation we were back before we joined the EC/EU, they just voted to give us a chance to be great again and give younsters a chance to experience true legislative freedom. Plus youngsters (and I count myself as one of them, but I voted and voted leave by the way) had the chance to vote yet chose not to. Its only after that they realise how important voting is despite the fact that they have been told time after time how important it is prior to this. It's only after they don't get the result they want that the young remoaners start listening.

The old haven't "shafted" (which I take to mean democratically voted to take us out of the EU) the young, the young "shafted" the young by not turning out when it mattered.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7631
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: British Politics

Postby GoonerAlexis » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:Plus those who lived before 1972 knew what a great nation we were back before we joined the EC/EU, they just voted to give us a chance to be great again and give younsters a chance to experience true legislative freedom. Plus youngsters (and I count myself as one of them, but I voted and voted leave by the way) had the chance to vote yet chose not to. Its only after that they realise how important voting is despite the fact that they have been told time after time how important it is prior to this. It's only after they don't get the result they want that the young remoaners start listening.

The old haven't "shafted" (which I take to mean democratically voted to take us out of the EU) the young, the young "shafted" the young by not turning out when it mattered.

My views as well.

Look at what they did when they decided to turn up, ruined Theresa May's majority. No one is shafting anyone, go out and vote to represent yourself or don't whine
GoonerAlexis
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21258
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:31 am

Previous

Return to The Big Debate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest