American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby CukiZeGerman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Though, one has to say that Trump's "ban" was absolute bollocks.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:28 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
The definition you gave if I remember correctly was ...............

"1.3 A group or set of people or things with a common feature or features."

That's what you quoted right?

Tell me how that equates to religion?

Features as in "physical features" does not equate to religion in any shape or form.

........ and even if "features" is mean't to be more expansive than just physical that's a far cry from your claim that its saying "same beliefs" ....... which its not.

Try digging yourself out of that one without resorting to base insults and deflection if you can.

Yes, "feature" could mean a religion in that context. Of course it could. I think that's perfectly clear unless for agenda driven reasons you choose not to see it.

Well if it was perfectly clear then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

What agenda do you think I have other than pointing out the fact that your trying to re-write the Dictionary version of the word racism.

I have no reason as half my family is Arabic to stick up for Islamaphobia dressed us as racism as I'm sure you can appreciate however if what your saying is inaccurate I'm going to point it out.

The only weight your holding onto that "your" definition is correct even according to the Dictionary description you've given is that you personally have decided to take liberty beyond your remit with the word "feature".

You do realise that the description you quoted may very well be alluding to physical features only right?

Definition: Race
A group of people of common ancestry, distinguished from others by physical characteristics, such as hair type, colour of eyes and skin, stature, etc. Principal races are Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid.

Another one from the Oxford Dictionary:
"Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
‘people of all races, colours, and creeds’"

The definition of race clarified (no mention of religion of beliefs) so to be Racist is to harbor resentment based purely on "race".

Sorry nil pois for you on this point.

Also the fact that 90% of posters are telling you otherwise yet your sticking your head in the sand rather than saying those magic words so foreign to you "sorry I was wrong".

If you were saying "Trumps policy is saying its targeting muslims but obviously has a racist driven agenda targeting muslims of a certain race in particular over others" then you would be on to something.

The examples you gave specifically point to "physical" characteristics

The definition I gave from the OED specifically does not, while being alongside others which do... that distinction is deliberate.

In any case it is my point that I reject semantics regarding the exact definition out of hand because where the word is used in common language to mean various things, it is valid for all those uses.

A dictionary is not instructive, it's reactive

More importantly, the argument over what is or isn't racist, when it is undeniably prejudiced, is a smoke screen to deflect criticism of bigotry..... So I don't accept it at all. Moral of the story is, don't stand for discrimination of any kind, and don't play semantics to dodge the issue
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:Though, one has to say that Trump's "ban" was absolute bollocks.

Agreed, gesture politics at its finest.

Though Trump means well to his supporters I do question some of his common sense decision making, it is rather amateurish to say the least.

He's like a big kid kicking around in the sand pit, showing the difference between running a company and running Washington ........ or as he's found out Washington runs you.

Trump needs to get smarter on how he navigates these muddy waters if he wants to get things done, he'll succeed if he drops the gesture Right driven policies and gets on with implementing the policies that help Americans in general.

I'm all for getting things done but him wading in with his size 12's has only achieved kicking up a hornets nest.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Christ that Milo bloke is a basic to put it mildly

Just a Katie Hopkins level loudmouth with a nice haircut. Why does he get so much attention? It's embarrassing.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:31 pm

UFGN wrote:Christ that Milo bloke is a basic to put it mildly

Just a Katie Hopkins level loudmouth with a nice haircut. Why does he get so much attention? It's embarrassing.

You would f**k him, don't deny it.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Admin010 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 am

thanks
Admin010
Liam Brady

Postby Pudpop » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Admin010 wrote:thanks

No problem buddy
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:46 pm

I've maintained that Trump's win shows how democratic America really is. It's a compliment.

That said, look at all his decisions since. President Steve Bannon is running the show. Those who chipped with dollars are in Trump's cabinet. This is a guy who's never read a single book in his life and inherited £200m from his Papa. He's just realizing that he wasn't elected to be King of America.

Trump has been criticizing Obamacare for nearly 6 years. What does he do after being elected? Well, basically the new policy is - if you have money, you're covered. Boom! Okay..

Elizabeth Warren or anyone will have field day come 2020.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 am

Angelito wrote: Elizabeth Warren or anyone will have field day come 2020.

May I refer you to 2016 "Clinton will win in a landslide" - "Trump has less than a 1% chance" .... hmmmmmmm
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:40 pm

EliteKiller wrote:

May I refer you to 2016 "Clinton will win in a landslide" - "Trump has less than a 1% chance" .... hmmmmmmm

This is the problem.

He wasn't Prez at the time. And, we need to understand context. ;)
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:59 pm

EliteKiller wrote:

Trump did have a less than 1% chance, him winning the election doesn't change that
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:50 am

Angelito wrote:
Elizabeth Warren or anyone will have field day come 2020.

If Warren does run, we know what her campaign song will be!

(to those who don't get it, it is a reference to her lying about having Native American ancestry.)
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Republicare bill pulled :clap:

Trump is such a deal closer though :rofll:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Angelito » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Deal-maker man.

And he blamed Dems for all of this. :rofll:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Mexico will pay for a wall - fail

Travel ban - fail

Repeal Obamacare - fail

Ties to Russia - pending

Loool, just two months in office and his administration is already a disaster.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate