Gervinho our new striker?

Re: Gervinho our new striker?

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:16 pm

This thread looks so funny in today's context.

His first touch is so poor while the less said about his composure in front of the goal the better. He is a very good dribbler and he is most useful along the flanks. It would be suicidal to play him through the middle.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Younggooner08 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Younggooner08 wrote:Iv always imagined him as more of a right forward than a winger.

Didnt say he was a good one. It is a problem that Gervinho is starting each game. If Giroud, Theo, Ox cannot step up this season we will be relying on Gerv to bag us a few important goals. Was refreshing to see Ramsey has made a full recovery and can push for a place, himself Arteta, Diaby, Coq, Jack and of course Cazorla shows a depth in the center. Front three looks slim when we lost Van Persie. Where is Chamakh?
Imagee
Younggooner08
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Bungle678 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:43 pm

Finishing - Iffy
Dribbling - Good
Pace - Good
Composure - Poor
Decision making - Poor
Heading (despite the MASSIVE forehead) - Average if we are being generous

At best he's another Arsene Wenger work in progress, in a side that needs an answer quickly. For now another option but not the solution.

Playing 3 busy winger type forwards who switch position and run from all over will work against the weaker sides but we need a focal point in the bigger games. I'm still holding out hope for Giroud
Bungle678
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ArsenalN5 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 am

I hope Gervinho leaves soon, The most frustrating player for me in the Arsenal ranks. He has so much potential, But just cannot seem to fulfil it. He gets himself into great positions but has no idea how to shoot.

Another thing, Twice after Giroud came on, He found himself in the perfect position to cross, But no, One time he cut in, Took on 2 defenders and lost the ball, The other time, He delayed it, Delayed it and ended up passing.

Not to mention this:

I honestly don't like watching him.
ArsenalN5
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:50 am

You hope he leaves? f**k me the amount of players who wrote their name in Arsenal history over the years who would have been slaughtered on here does make me f***ing laugh.

So he had a bad touch and a frustrating game against the best team in England? He has scored 3 goals in his last 3 games, give him a break for fucks sake.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby TexasGooner » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 am

Because against everyone else he has a sparkling first touch and displays brilliant finishing?
TexasGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:33 am

No he displays arguably the best dribbling ability in the country and has an unpredictable style which means he can and will always beat his man with relative ease, that makes him an important asset to our squad.

And i notice how AF went missing when he scored against Southampton and Montpellier and has come back now to stick the knife in :grin:

Funny that.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 am

@gg:I appreciated him for his performances against southampton and montpellier. You can check in the matchday threads if you want. I never went missing. You can see that in the ratings thread as well.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 am

Please don't be cruel. He was not that awful last night. Aguerro and Tevez were not better than him. Torres, Suarez and even RvP were not playing any better if you watched their last games.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:13 am

GunnGunn wrote:No he displays arguably the best dribbling ability in the country and has an unpredictable style which means he can and will always beat his man with relative ease, that makes him an important asset to our squad.

And i notice how AF went missing when he scored against Southampton and Montpellier and has come back now to stick the knife in :grin:

Funny that.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pudpop » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:11 pm

I wonder what will happen to all the Giroud haters on this forum when he starts scoring.... A lot of you seem pretty quick to defend Gervinho but take every opportunity to say that Giroud isn't good enough, when you've only watched him play 1 full game in our colours.
Gervinho deserves getting defended because he's proven that he can score goals right? As a matter of fact I remember defending him last year when he was in the same position and wasn't scoring enough goals the season after a brilliant title-winning season in Ligue 1.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ArsenalN5 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:15 pm

GunnGunn wrote:No he displays arguably the best dribbling ability in the country and has an unpredictable style which means he can and will always beat his man with relative ease, that makes him an important asset to our squad.

He has good dribbling right up until the point he gets to the box, Then he leaves his brain behind and messes up so many attacks.

He gets to the box, Tries to take on his man and fucks up EVERYTIME.
ArsenalN5
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby starmandb » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:15 am

ArsenalN5 wrote:

He has good dribbling right up until the point he gets to the box, Then he leaves his brain behind and messes up so many attacks.

He gets to the box, Tries to take on his man and fucks up EVERYTIME.

7 GOALS
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby gzagee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:32 am

@ Gervinho's detractors: He's had one wasteful match this season. It is no reason to get on his back. Until the Citeh game he looked encouraging; scoring goals. He looked like he was beginning to get the measure of his task. We should persevere with him.

@ Gervinho's supporters: He's 25. At his age you should be concentrating on having a greater understanding of the game. You should be applying the finishing touches to your technique, honing it, if you will.
Gervinho isn't 20; we shouldn't be waiting for him to get the basics right. He should be a long way down the line in that regard. That's the frustrating thing about him.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby friedslice » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:43 am

GunnGunn wrote:You hope he leaves? f**k me the amount of players who wrote their name in Arsenal history over the years who would have been slaughtered on here does make me f***ing laugh.

So he had a bad touch and a frustrating game against the best team in England? He has scored 3 goals in his last 3 games, give him a break for fucks sake.

^this.

His finishing is woeful but despite that he's still been one of our best players this season. And people want him to leave?
:rofll:
Our fans by and large are a joke, they moan constantly about the players we do sell but at the same time want us to sell everybody who's not scored a hattrick for a few games....Rosicky, Koscielny, Van Persie and Song were all players Arsenal fans have clambered onto the "get rid of asap 'cos they're shit/injured" bandwagon, all have proven within the past 18 months for the club that they are top class players. After half a dozen games most down the Arsenal whinged we'd bought a dud in Bergkamp, we've always been an impatient and highly demanding bunch.
Our fans just love to whinge, maybe that's just fans in general, but ours have always had a terrible history of major infighting amongst ourselves...and I mean long before the internet gave everyone around the world a voice.

I've digressed somewhat from the thread but I don't understand why our fans always seem to want to hate a player sooner than they like them, there's no reason to be so harsh on Gervinho imo. I think the last few weeks more than ever show the severe knee jerking from eurphoria to sack everyone we're shit and back again. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to 27. Gervinho