Gervinho our new striker?

Gervinho our new striker?

Postby AFC10 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Played there today and probably played his best performance in an Arsenal shirt! Wenger said this after the game...

Wenger on Gervinho: 'You know we transform all wingers into centre forwards! I decided to do it during our tour of Asia' #AFCvSFC

Thoughts?
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Gervinho our new striker?

Postby Pudpop » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:10 pm

He was joking. Hopefully.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Pudpop wrote:He was joking. Hopefully.

Hopefully......

It's another option to have where we don't have many options, so that's good, but really, Gerv is a winger, not a CF. Don't want to take away from his performance today because he was very good but Southampton were their own worst enemies defensively, their CB's are championship standard at best.

I do always laugh when Gervinho takes players on and how clueless they are. He only ever, EVER, wants to get to the byline, yet they fall for his feints every single time.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:30 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:

Hopefully......

It's another option to have where we don't have many options, so that's good, but really, Gerv is a winger, not a CF. Don't want to take away from his performance today because he was very good but Southampton were their own worst enemies defensively, their CB's are championship standard at best.

I do always laugh when Gervinho takes players on and how clueless they are. He only ever, EVER, wants to get to the byline, yet they fall for his feints every single time.

He has got amazingly quick feet though. I forgot who he was up against on the left flank, but he dropped a flip flap move (only two touches, not the Ronaldinho three touch one which is just epicness) and the defender literally had to fight to not fall on his arse.

He is the byline king, but boy can he dribble. If there is one thing that really pisses me off about him though, is that he always takes too many touches instead of putting his foot through it. The second goal he scored, he even controlled it before striking.....on the f***ing goal line!

wtf.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:38 pm

Zedie wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:

Hopefully......

He has got amazingly quick feet though. I forgot who he was up against on the left flank, but he dropped a flip flap move (only two touches, not the Ronaldinho three touch one which is just epicness) and the defender literally had to fight to not fall on his arse.

He is the byline king, but boy can he dribble. If there is one thing that really pisses me off about him though, is that he always takes too many touches instead of putting his foot through it. The second goal he scored, he even controlled it before striking.....on the f***ing goal line!

wtf.

:lol:
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Younggooner08 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Iv always imagined him as more of a right forward than a winger. I also think he takes too long on the ball but from what i have seen he can beat a man next to another striker, Theo, or now Podolski, they could cause a real problem. With Cazorla and co bossing the midfield, we have a strong team maybe the likes of Chelsea and City will beat but all the lesser teams will still struggle to compete with. I do fear for Walcott's place in the team now, he is a great sub and goodo squad player but he may struggle to puch for his starting place.
Imagee
Younggooner08
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fran Solo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:56 am

He has got his confidence back. He also scored for Cote D'Ivoire last week in a hard match against Senegal. He used to struggle against a tough and disciplined defenders like Stoke. I hope he can improve from that.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:58 am

when he's not dribbling past nathaniel clyne then we'll see how he does
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Est83 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Another option in the CF role is good, but the man's definitely a wing forward.

Our WF's haven't always played as they should, sometimes they're predictable and stay out wide all too often. There was a lot more interchanging yesterday, the more they do this the harder it will be for defenders to defend against them, and the more we'll see the WF's on the scoresheet.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Resisted staying away from this thread but last time Gervinho was on the score sheet in the PL was in December 2011. I mean some sanity must prevail. Gervinho even yesterday did not actually play like a striker, he was always looking to get to the byline and cut back. He had a very good game overall against Southampton and it was refreshing to see him score the way he did for his first one. His second goal was a bit fortuitous though. Now does he have the demeanor, poaching skills or the shooting skills of a striker? He is a Wide Forward and his strengths lie in dribbling his way past players and he should stick to that. Not so long ago there were discussions about his lack of end product and now he is being hailed as our new CF. Welcome to AFC.

Wenger said how he likes to convert Wingers in to strikers but he is making a huge mistake by shoving Podolski who is a natural striker wide left on a consistent basis. Podolski is a top draw international striker and although he plays on the left for Germany, it is more due to the fact that Germany has Klose and Gomez and not due to Podolski's lack of ability in the central role. With Giroud slow off the blocks in his Arsenal carrier, we need a permanent solution at CF which is one position i don't want to be messing around with. It should be either Podolski or Giroud full stop. No more messing around.

Podolski is going to be a massive player for us and we need to make sure he gets enough playing time in his natural position and not shove him wide left.

Versatility is nice to have but chopping and changing a vital spot like CF for the sake of having versatility is not the best way to go forward.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Podolski is a CF in Koln. He played as a CF against Sunderland. Maybe Wenger had another idea after that match. Or maybe Bould suggested Wenger to play him on the left so he can help Gibbs defending. Just like Ox helping Jenkinson on the opposite flank.
Anyway, I don't think Gervinho was playing like a CF yesterday. It's an Arsenal's modification of false nine or something like that. And I am so glad that it worked. At this moment I am really pleased with Wenger and Bould as coaches. They can play Jenkinson as a CF as well if they want. And I wouldn't mind as long as it works.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:53 pm

It won't be because of the tracking back because that is something Gervinho is very good at too. It's probably because it's easier for Podolski to stay involved in the game from the left side and it has been working so why change it? And Wenger was talking about Gervinho's mobility as he reason he played through the middle

Was a good experiment that any good manager should be trying but I don't think it'll be the plan going forward, just a - whisper it- plan B
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pudpop » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:27 pm

I think it was mentioned on some blog or maybe on this forum but the writer said that we almost played a 4-3-3-0 as our formation yesterday. Yes it worked very well, and as Cyn said it could be a good plan B, but think to yourself if it will work against better opposition and you'll see the many flaws with this tactic.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:15 am

There is no perfect tactic nor formation. I choose to believe that Wenger has another plan if this tactic does not work some other time. From Plan B to Plan C or simply back to Plan A. Wenger maybe ignorant sometimes, but he is definitely not a stupid man. And I don't think that we will play this formation for the whole season either. We are very lucky that most of our players are quite versatile themselves.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:51 am

He is not a striker.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next

Return to 27. Gervinho