AW: Gerv only lacks goals

AW: Gerv only lacks goals

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:42 pm

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... acks-goals

Wenger - Fantastic Gervinho only lacks goals

By Chris Harris

Arsène Wenger is delighted with Gervinho's start to life at Arsenal but he admits that the Ivorian is no Robin van Persie in front of goal right now.

Gervinho has set up a number of goals for his team-mates - especially Van Persie - and his direct running and flair in the final third has caught the eye. But he has scored just twice in 15 appearances for his new club and squandered a golden chance against Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday.

Gervinho's one-on-one with the keeper was the kind of opportunity that Van Persie is snaffling with ease at the moment and Wenger sympathises with his otherwise impressive summer signing.

"At the moment Gervinho is a fantastic provider and he creates space for the other players because he always goes behind [the defence]," said the Frenchman.

"The problem with Gervinho is he is in the opposite position of Robin van Persie. He is desperate for a goal and once you are in that situation… well, you could see the other night he had the chance to score but he started to think.

"When you start to think you are already finished but for the rest his game is absolutely fantastic. He works hard for the team, provides, creates space and makes great runs and I’m personally very happy with his game.

"His goalscoring record was good last year and this year is a bit less but his assists are fantastic and in every single game you think he will score and at the moment he just misses a little bit but that will come.

"Overall his attitude, his work-rate, his technical quality, the intelligence of his runs is fantastic."

Wenger has seen plenty of forwards go through scoring droughts before and he will do his best to help Gervinho over this particular hurdle.

"For a long time you don't talk about it, but at some stage you have to say 'don't worry – try to be natural'. I spoke to him today about that, but he is not obsessed with scoring goals, it will come naturally.

“On the quality of his game he has settled very quickly. After that, the other aspects in the English game were where he had problems. He got sent off in the Newcastle game for a mild reaction after being provoked by Barton.

“He got the learning process of three games out and then the intensity of the challenges here is higher than anywhere else. He adapted quite quickly.”
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: AW: Gerv only lacks goals

Postby Est83 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:33 am

Agree with everything he said there. The man just needs to put it away a couple of times jsut to get the taste back in his mouth.

He'll be scoring soon I reckon.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby friedslice » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:54 am

Bergkamp couldn't score for love nor money when he first arrived, a couple of belters against Southampton soon put pay to that. It's probably a confidence or form thing, he's a quality player.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:14 am

I have already opined.. only thing lacking in his games is goals but if you are brutally honest its not just the
confidence issues he is suffering from in front of the goal but also the technique . I am repeating for the nth
time he has problems curling a ball around the keeper and keeping the ball shot with pace down from a distance .
I am sure he will work on that . Once he works hard in training [i presume he must be already] confidence
will follow .
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Futuo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:37 am

Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fabrestuta » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:18 am

Correction Gerv lacks goals and a means to hide his giant forehead.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Est83 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:55 pm

He needs more of a rambo band than that little hairband he wears... do you think he knows we can still see it?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby TexasGooner » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Oh, well, good thing he plays defense for us! ......
TexasGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Fabrestuta » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:37 pm

Est83 wrote:He needs more of a rambo band than that little hairband he wears... do you think he knows we can still see it?

No I think he's like a bald bloke with a comb over. He probably looks in the mirror and thinks "yeah that looks grand".
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:55 pm

They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabrestuta » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:08 pm

:grin:
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby fari » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:54 pm

has the technique but lacks a bit of composure...the goals will come
fari
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Yorkyblue » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:07 pm

friedslice wrote:Bergkamp couldn't score for love nor money when he first arrived, a couple of belters against Southampton soon put pay to that. It's probably a confidence or form thing, he's a quality player.

I think he still finished with only an average of 1 goal every 4 games. Not knocking him, he was one of the worlds best ever players but goalscoring wasn't what he was about really after he left Ajax. I can't find his assists but I bet they are pretty much 1 per game.

In the same way Gervinho isn't really one to rely on for goals, he never has been. If he can hit 15 in all competition it's probably about what you can expect. He does look class a lot of the time and will keep notching up assists all season.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:55 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
friedslice wrote:Bergkamp couldn't score for love nor money when he first arrived, a couple of belters against Southampton soon put pay to that. It's probably a confidence or form thing, he's a quality player.

I think he still finished with only an average of 1 goal every 4 games. Not knocking him, he was one of the worlds best ever players but goalscoring wasn't what he was about really after he left Ajax. I can't find his assists but I bet they are pretty much 1 per game.

In the same way Gervinho isn't really one to rely on for goals, he never has been. If he can hit 15 in all competition it's probably about what you can expect. He does look class a lot of the time and will keep notching up assists all season.

Yorky is correct. Bergkamp was no and out and out forward and one of the reasons he didn't excel in Italy is because he was wasn't utilised right.
Before Commande Worf came people were talking about his goal scoring feats but I doubt Wenger bought him because he thinks he will bag 25/30 goals a season.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby ivan itchybum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:13 pm

fari wrote:has the technique but lacks a bit of composure...the goals will come

very true hopefully
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Next

Return to 27. Gervinho