Re: AW: Gerv only lacks goals

Postby VCC » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Good to see AW has caught on give the lad some shooting practice lol
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:15 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:Remember when he scored that goal in pre season where he lobbed the keeper off one touch and we all thought we had a class finisher on our hands?
How wrong we were :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

Remind you o a certain Willem Defoe lookalike with a communist hairstyle? He also scored a world class goal in his first pre season and everyone did a sex wee (me included) but that was smoke and mirrors as the man wouldn't shoot.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Est83 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:17 am

Jay22 wrote:What's up with him anyway? His brain seems to go dead when he's in front of the goal. Really strange considering that he scored more goals (& more assists) than Hazard in the last 2 seasons.

That's his potential, and I think he'll get there eventually.

I haven't seen much other than youtube videos, but one thing that struck me about him was how decisive he was infront of goal, he seemed to play on instinct as soona s he was in the box, the way strikers do. At Arsenal he seems to do that thing that Theo does alot, THINK! :rolleyes: silly thinkers!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby mg86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:03 am

He also came during a disaster period at the club, losing 8-2 to Man United and dropping toward the bottom of the table. That's not good for anyone just arriving at a club because you begin to think you are apart of the problem. There was no time given to him to adjust to the league and come off the bench and slowly come into the first 11. That has unfortunately caused irrational gooners to think he is bad. He needed this half of the season to adjust to the premier league and adjust his game to it.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Est83 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:05 am

Spot on ^

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:41 am

Trying every vague theory possible to cover the lack of shooting skills of a player who came on as the penalty taker after three defenders is hilarious. i mean Gervinho jokes are floating all over the football forms as to how he cannot hit the broad side of a barn. Not only is his decision making and intelligence poor in front of the goal his technique for a forward leaves a lot to be desired. The frequency with which he scuffs the shots/ skies them to row z is painful to watch. Its hilarious to see people making up all sorts of stuff for a guy who has problems netting an open goal. Forget his shooting skills , lets talk about his crossing abilities ? If Walcott is bad what about Gervinho when it comes to delivering a good ball. Why does Gervinho keep cutting in all the time , taking the ball up to the box only to squander it away.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:03 am

because unlike Theo, he can actually get into the box
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 am

That still does not an excuse for doing all the dancing around the box only to give it away cheaply
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:52 am

when did I say it was?
Give me a player who gets into the box over a player who can't pass, can't dribble, can't finish and doesn't have footballing intelligence every day
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:07 am

Where did i say Walcott is better than Gervinho overall ? Gervinho offers plenty more than Walcott.No argument over that. All i was saying was both are not great crossers of the ball. Because of the lack of a final ball and shooting skills Gervinho cannot make most of his general play which is good. He gets in to good positions but cannot make the most of it because of the aforementioned weaknesses.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:41 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Where did i say Walcott is better than Gervinho overall ? Gervinho offers plenty more than Walcott.No argument over that. All i was saying was both are not great crossers of the ball. Because of the lack of a final ball and shooting skills Gervinho cannot make most of his general play which is good. He gets in to good positions but cannot make the most of it because of the aforementioned weaknesses.

he does have a decent final ball, he just has to get used to no one getting in the right positions
don't get me wrong, RVP is a fantastic striker, but he would score so many more goals if he took up better positions in the box when the ball is out wide
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:47 am

You know we play with RVP as a lone map up front. He cannot be everywhere. RVP is not your classical goal poaching striker getting at the end of the crosses in the box. He loves playing a slightly deeper role. As i have always mentioned RVP would relish playing with an out and out goal poacher like Bent/hernandez who would allow him to play in the slightly deeper role that he loves and is comfortable with. Now i know it is up to the player to get to the end of the crosses but you do not cross with your head down and Theo is a classic example of that. Same with Gervinho on a rare occasion when he does cross. A good wide player has a glance and if he does not see any player in the box he chooses another option instead of crossing. In comparison AOC always delivers the ball with his head always scanning for the right ball. Added to that his shooting and dribbling skills make him multidimensional. Gervinho can dribble , has decent pace and has the ability to get to the byline but his composure when scoring/delivering is not that great.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 am

He was just as bad in front of goal for Lille, he just simply had far more chances and thus scored a small percentage of them. By all accounts he has always been infuriatingly wasteful
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to 27. Gervinho