Frimpong's "racist" tweet!

Re: Frimpong's "racist" tweet!

Postby friedslice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Inchpractice wrote:We've already had this debate in another thread but for those of you who didn't read it I'll go over the details again because the same questions/points keep coming again and again.
Almost all of them have been raised in this one post by Bearcum:

ThereIsBearCum wrote:Frimpong clearly didn't use it in a manner that was derogatory towards Jews.

Argument 1. The old 'he clearly wasn't being offensive' line. There is no way in which you can use a racist term without it being racist. It really is as simple as that.
If you don't believe me, approach a Muslim in the street and try and call him a terrorist without offending him. "Oh man, you're my favourite terrorist, you're like the best terrorist EVER."
Love to see how you get on with that one.

We can argue all night about whether the actual individual Frimpong was talking to was offended but that's not really the point here. Whether he was or wasn't, Arsenal players should know better.

Loads of people find loads of different words offensive, you can't please everyone (there are genuinely people who find the word "hello" offensive because it has "hell" in it). If there is no hatred intended in the use of a word that isn't even derogatory to the people being referring to, then there's no problem.

Argument 2. That other chestnut that people LOVE to spout. "Ahhhh people are so over-sensitive, why don't people just man the f**k up, it's just a word ffs!"
Yes there are people out there that are ridiculously over-sensitive but would you say that an Asian person was being over-sensitive if they were offended by you calling them a <Removed>? No, you wouldn't.
*** to a Jewish person is just as offensive as Removed is to an Asian so why are Jews being over-sensitive if they're offended?
That makes no sense.

Many Spurs fans (both Jewish and non-Jewish) refer to their club's supporters as yids, so why isn't it ok for everyone else to?

It isn't ok for anyone to use the word *** at any time. Who is saying it's ok for Spurs fans to do it?

Argument 3. The old "It's been going on for years so why should we stop now." argument.
Yes that makes loads of sense.
There were 400 years of slavery and if people had said the same thing it would still be going on now.
People have been battered senseless in school for being gay for years and years. Oh, it must be a tradition then, and traditions should always be kept alive shouldn't they?
The argument that something has been happening for a long time so therefore it should continue is just about the weakest one yet. Phone hacking has been going on for years, shall we leave that alone as well?

I admit that people should've made a fuss about this years ago so that it wouldn't have become so widespread but you know why they didn't? Probably because everyone kept telling them to man up and stop f***ing whining.

And don't say it's like black people using "nigger". 100% of black people that have called themselves nigger are black, are all Spurs fans who call themselves yids Jewish?

It's exactly like the word nigger except SOME black people (mostly American) have decided to turn the word around and 'neutralise' it by using it to each other.
That doesn't mean they won't be offended if you approach them in the street as a stranger and call them a nigger.
The word *** hasn't been given the same treatment. As far as I know Jews don't go around calling each other yids as a term of endearment.
Therefore it's just as offensive as the word nigger is to a black person, if not more.
Yet for some reason because the football fans of one shitty club sing about it, it makes it all alright.
We're all passionate about football but there is a world outside of it don't forget.

As someone has already pointed out in this thread, if someone had called Frimpong a nigger on Twitter it would be a big story and no-on here would be surprised if Frimmy was offended by that.
It would also have offended the black members of this forum just as the word *** offends the Jewish members.

It's really very very simple, nigger = *** = p*ki = poof = etc. = etc. They're all equally offensive.

I apologise to the people who've already seen this but here's that video again:

P.s. I'm not specifically having a go at you Bearcum, I just used your post because you raised the same old arguments that get raised all the time in other threads.

Get where you're coming from, but seriously :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

*** in football references has absolutely no relation to any of those examples. Calling a tottenham fan, a club known as the yids, "a ***" is in absolutely no way similar to walking up to a random muslim and calling him a terrorist :rolleyes:

quite frankly if people got off their high horse and stopped letting words bother them then we would never have any of these issues which seem to pop up every few months. But this post is dragging into an issue I really don't want to touch, I just had to affirm that the scum are the yids and always will be, anyone who takes offence to these terms used within a footballing rivalry is a very sad and pathetic little man and is a direct cause and reason as to why we have to suffer this unbearably OTT political correct madness.

I've never understood getting offended by someones comments. A comment is just an individuals opinion, an individuals opinion means nothing in the broad sense, if the individuals comment is offensive to you then you'll likely think they're a prick, so why would you even be bothered by the opinions of a prick? Why waste your time letting it bother you?
just my take on it. I'm sick of constantly reading new things that you can or can't say or things you can or can't do based around some idiots oversensitivities. If you don't like something someone says then don't interact with them, for me that's the obvious and simple option...censorship is not.
Last edited by friedslice on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Oh no!!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:23 pm

friedslice wrote:Get where you're coming from, but seriously :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

*** in football references has absolutely no relation to any of those examples. Calling a tottenham fan, a club known as the yids, "a ***" is in absolutely no way similar to walking up to a random muslim and calling him a terrorist :rolleyes:

No, it isn't, and I didn't say it was.
As I've said several times now, my debate with various people in this thread was not about Frimpong. I don't believe that Frimpong is actually racist.
My debate was against people who can't understand why anyone would be offended by his tweet.
My argument was also against people who cannot see the difference between words like nigger, p*ki and ***.
Some people seem to think that *** is somehow less offensive than the others, which makes no sense.
The fact that it happens to have been used by a football club is a coincidence and doesn't make it any less racist.
People need to understand that there's a world outside of football, and there are billions of people in it, oh and they've never heard of Tottenham FC.

quite frankly if people got off their high horse and stopped letting words bother them then we would never have any of these issues which seem to pop up every few months. But this post is dragging into an issue I really don't want to touch, I just had to affirm that the scum are the yids and always will be, anyone who takes offence to these terms used within a footballing rivalry is a very sad and pathetic little man.

This only shows your inability to look outside of your own little bubble. You think people are sad and pathetic but that's because you don't really understand what is going on here.

P.s. Frimpong has tweeted:

Emmanuel Y Frimpong ‏@Frimpong26AFC
Just wanna Say didn't even no the word is offensive as u hear it all the time but u live and learn from ur mistakes Have a gd afternoon
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:25 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Oh no!!!

:grin:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:Oh no!!!

:grin:

You love it, I know it. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby NG34Gooner » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Its a load of b*llocks in my opinion, just political correctness gone mad along with the Spurs fans already being mad.
NG34Gooner
Liam Brady

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:54 am

Fine £6000 for it
Wonder if they're going to dish out £6000 fines to everyone who takes part in a "yiddo" chant on match days? Sure would be a good way to make money.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:42 pm

These Twitters and social network sites just cause no end of trouble. Famous people should either watch what they write or if they are thick and do not have a way with words, Do not bother at all.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby prolific » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Emmanuel Frimpong ‏@IAMFRIMPONG26
Not every tweet is football related Goosh
5:54 PM - 28 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/IAMFRIMPONG26/statu ... 5701227520

Its because you've lost your way! Focus for your new club.

Arsenal should take Emmanuel Frimpong’s phone off him right now
Monday 28 Oct 2013 7:14 pm | By Peter Wood
http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/28/arsenal-s ... w-4164629/

Emmanuel Frimpong has made the Twitter news again for making silly comments on his mobile phone. The young Ghanaian player has been working his way back to fitness after a couple of bad injuries and it looks, from the tweet, like he’d been expecting a call up to the Arsenal squad tomorrow. As he subsequently didn’t get what he wanted, he went on Twitter, and made a comment that could be interpreted to be about race, Responding to a fan who asked him if he would be in the squad on Tuesday night, Frimpoing replied: ‘LOL I wanna laugh’ A minute later he posted another tweet which said: ‘Sometimes I wish I was white and English #realtalk’ He later deleted those two tweets before adding: ‘Not everything is football related Goosh’.

His tweets are the petulant noises of a kid who doesn’t understand the power of his words. Some tell me this is a mainstream rap lyric, I’m not so sure that’s an excuse I’d buy. It might be a lyric, but the hashtag at the end suggests he’s upset about something and the preceding tweets are about him not making the Arsenal squad. One thing you can never accuse Arsene Wenger of is looking at white English players and giving them an easy ride into the squad. He’s as fair as they come. If you’re good enough, you make it, regardless of age, colour, religion or even boot colour preference. Wenger holds no bias. Frimpong doesn’t make the squad because he’s not good enough and he doesn’t have the right attitude. He’s more concerned with his Twitter account and his sideline projects than he is in making a difference at the club. He’s once again let himself let him down with his bad social media skills and he’s put another cross against his CV. A shame, he used to be a fan favourite now he seems to be doing all he can to sully his name and get himself sold. Bad form Frimmy, bad form.
You're Scared Of Change.
prolific
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby kronickaos » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:54 am

prolific wrote:Image

Emmanuel Frimpong ‏@IAMFRIMPONG26
Not every tweet is football related Goosh
5:54 PM - 28 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/IAMFRIMPONG26/statu ... 5701227520

Its because you've lost your way! Focus for your new club.

Arsenal should take Emmanuel Frimpong’s phone off him right now
Monday 28 Oct 2013 7:14 pm | By Peter Wood
http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/28/arsenal-s ... w-4164629/

Emmanuel Frimpong has made the Twitter news again for making silly comments on his mobile phone. The young Ghanaian player has been working his way back to fitness after a couple of bad injuries and it looks, from the tweet, like he’d been expecting a call up to the Arsenal squad tomorrow. As he subsequently didn’t get what he wanted, he went on Twitter, and made a comment that could be interpreted to be about race, Responding to a fan who asked him if he would be in the squad on Tuesday night, Frimpoing replied: ‘LOL I wanna laugh’ A minute later he posted another tweet which said: ‘Sometimes I wish I was white and English #realtalk’ He later deleted those two tweets before adding: ‘Not everything is football related Goosh’.

His tweets are the petulant noises of a kid who doesn’t understand the power of his words. Some tell me this is a mainstream rap lyric, I’m not so sure that’s an excuse I’d buy. It might be a lyric, but the hashtag at the end suggests he’s upset about something and the preceding tweets are about him not making the Arsenal squad. One thing you can never accuse Arsene Wenger of is looking at white English players and giving them an easy ride into the squad. He’s as fair as they come. If you’re good enough, you make it, regardless of age, colour, religion or even boot colour preference. Wenger holds no bias. Frimpong doesn’t make the squad because he’s not good enough and he doesn’t have the right attitude. He’s more concerned with his Twitter account and his sideline projects than he is in making a difference at the club. He’s once again let himself let him down with his bad social media skills and he’s put another cross against his CV. A shame, he used to be a fan favourite now he seems to be doing all he can to sully his name and get himself sold. Bad form Frimmy, bad form.

Maybe he just wishes he was white and english? :dontknow:
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Est83 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:10 am

:lol:

You can see why they would think that tweet was related, but it's still stupid... since when would being white and English garuntee you anything at Arsenal?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby kronickaos » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:31 am

Est83 wrote::lol:

You can see why they would think that tweet was related, but it's still stupid... since when would being white and English garuntee you anything at Arsenal?

well seeing as there are only 3 out of 11 that are white starting englishmen....
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Snowkarl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 am

Yeah you go Frimmy, if you were white you'd get treated like Jack & Alex, no doubt. Like Lansbury & Bentley. Oh wait...
Snowkarl
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 am

kronickaos wrote:
Est83 wrote::lol:

well seeing as there are only 3 out of 11 that are white starting englishmen....

Who? All I can think of is Wilshere and he doesn't start when everyone's fit.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to 26. Emmanuel Frimpong