Arsenal 0-0 Blackburn

Arsenal 0-0 Blackburn

Postby SE13 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:54 am

As written by GoonerGirl

I have been wracking my brains to try and find something positive to say about a game that a. was so boring i spent part of the first half chatting with my friend about having her coil implanted and b. pretty much ruined our last remaining hope of glory this season. Did Arsenal not realise i spent 3 evenings last week faffing about expressing breast milk so i could go to this game? Perhaps i should have told them about my trials and tribulations and efforts to get to the match, then maybe, just maybe, they might actually have put a smidgen of effort into a game that was entirely winnable.

I could give you the full lowdown on who played, chances created etc etc but you can read all that elsewhere so heres a brief summary and a few thoughts (as noone ever reads these anyway! ) We started with a pretty strong team, RVP and Song back, Walcott in the team from the start (for once) though Fabregas on the bench. Almunia in goal was possibly the selection that saw most gooners holding their breath in the first half (and with some justification as he looked quite unsure of himself and when pushed on to make a save nearly palmed one into the net at one point...) Admittedly Wenger had not a lot of choice but why not throw on Lehmann - he can't be any worse? Surely? And he's always entertaining!

Song and Walcott both had early chances and a Nasri header meant he collided with Nelsen causing a HUGE bump to the head. He was patched up and played on, though how he would have managed to head the ball again i do not know. Perhaps it was a sign of his importance to the side that Wenger felt he needed to keep him on. Towards the end of the first half there were a few more half chances from both siders but bopth teams seemed a little lacklustre and at Half Time the gooners rubbed the sleep from their eyes as they watched Bob Wilson cycling round the outside of the pitch ready for his cycling tour of all the premiership grounds in aid of his charity - the willow foundation.

The 2nd half continued in much the same vein as the first, Arsenal on top but never looking seriously threatening, blackburn with the odd half chance. they improved after Roberts came on and i gulped a little still vividly remembering waching him score in the last minutes of the carling cup semis a few years back for wigan to take them through to the final... funny how certain players can bring back vivid memorys. Wenger used his subs to. FFirst Fabregas, then Chamakh and Bendtner all came on but noone really turned the game around though bendtner should have scored at the end. For the last 15 minutes after the sending off of Nzonzi for a 2 footed challenge (perhaps a little harsh?) Arsenal did at least start to dominate but all to no avail and even Wenger for once (unusually) had no defence for his teams performance. Too far behind United now to catch up? I certainly think so though the hope hasn't all gone yet... I remember a season a few years ago (and i'm wracking my brains to remember which one? Answers please?) where we went out of at least 2 competitions in a week - Champions league against chelsea? anyway, i remember the hope and stuffing totally knocked out of us as we mentally limped ineffectively through the rest of the season. The Premiership is the only thing left for us to possibly win now, we have gone out of several competiotions in just a few weeks. March was a month to forget, the team needed to dig in and show some back bone, desire and determination, i saw none of that on saturday and its why i believe that Mr Wenger will be answering some questions about why we have had yet another trophyless season in a few weeks time.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Arsenal 0-0 Blackburn

Postby Git » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 am

Nice one GiGi.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Re: Arsenal 0-0 Blackburn

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks GG.

Admittedly Wenger had not a lot of choice but why not throw on Lehmann - he can't be any worse? Surely? And he's always entertaining!

Oh yes he can!

:shock:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Re: Arsenal 0-0 Blackburn

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Thanks GG.

Admittedly Wenger had not a lot of choice but why not throw on Lehmann - he can't be any worse? Surely? And he's always entertaining!

Oh yes he can!

:shock:

+1. I would stick with Almunia until Lehmann finds his form again. Looking forward to the reserve game against Sunderland.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Return to Match Reports 10/11