Arsenal 2-1 Huddersfield

Arsenal 2-1 Huddersfield

Postby SE13 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:42 am

The FA Cup and all it's glory paired Arsenal against Huddersfield with Sir Herbert Chapman smiling down.

Arsene Wenger rang the changes including the return of Almunia and Diaby as Arsenal played out the ninth game of the month. The Gunners started brightly enough, one of the early stats showing 82% possession as they pressed forward searching for an early breakthrough. Arshavin fired over, Bendtner fired wide when it looked easier to score, so often the story of Arsenal. Samir Nasri fed a delightful ball through to Bendtner who fired, and courtesy of a deflection, watched as the ball found the left hand corner of the net. 1-0, and cruising..... Or so we thought!

Huddersfield found determination forcing a couple of decent half chances and much nail biting among the faithful, especially when Denilson committed hari-kari and fed their striker through. Arsenal held firm before the hammer crashed down not once but twice. First Samir Nasri pulled up with what appeared to be a hamstring pull, and possibly some time out. Shortly afterwards followed a moment where we sometimes scratch our heads and scream for some consistency from the officials. Squillaci pulled back Jack Hunt who was blazing through in a mazy run that beat Arsenal for pace and defensive ability. Some officials would give a yellow, some a red. By the letter of the law, Squillaci had to walk, and referee Clattenberg couldn't get the red card out of his pocket quickly enough. Arsenal survived with the numerical disadvantage until the break allowing Wenger to change things during the half time talk.

To make up the numbers at the back, Wenger sacrificed Chamakh for Song leaving lesser options going forward, and Huddersfield were chomping at the bit in anticipation came out all guns blazing. Chances came, Almunia pulling off an amazing save, Arshavin with a brilliant late tackle, the post also coming to the rescue. The equaliser was coming, and it arrived via a corner. Trade mark Arsenal unable to deal with the set piece, corner swung in, free header and the game was all square.

Arsenal had to change something, either inject the pace of Theo Walcott or the trickery and footballing brain of Cesc. Le Boss chose the latter, immediately perking things up with Arsenal going close of a few occasions. However, the Northerners held firm until late in the game when Nicklas Bendtner was bundled over in the box somewhat easily, and a penalty was given. The consistency factor was brought into question again when the official produced a yellow card for the defender. Cesc held his nerve and with a stuttering run up, calmly slotted the ball home, and Arsenal were through to the fifth round with the quadruple still on.

An away tie at Brisbane Road was the reward as Arsenal were paired with Leyton Orient, stirring the memories of a few members here who had seen the cup semi final in 1978!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Arsenal 2-1 Huddersfield

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 am

I was talking to my mate (one who went to watch Town at Arsenal). He reckons had you brought Fabregas on for Nasri it would of been a different game. He believes that it wasn't the sending off that gave Huddersfield the advantage for quite a large portion of the game, it was not having Nasri or Fabregas controlling the midfield.

Fair point IMO.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Gould » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 am

Yorkyblue wrote:I was talking to my mate (one who went to watch Town at Arsenal). He reckons had you brought Fabregas on for Nasri it would of been a different game. He believes that it wasn't the sending off that gave Huddersfield the advantage for quite a large portion of the game, it was not having Nasri or Fabregas controlling the midfield.

Fair point IMO.

diaby and denilson in midfield is just like kos and squishy no commanding figure there!
chamakh and i think even arshavin is another one listen to what they are told to do rather than do the telling!
Gould
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 am

Gould wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:I was talking to my mate (one who went to watch Town at Arsenal). He reckons had you brought Fabregas on for Nasri it would of been a different game. He believes that it wasn't the sending off that gave Huddersfield the advantage for quite a large portion of the game, it was not having Nasri or Fabregas controlling the midfield.

Fair point IMO.

diaby and denilson in midfield is just like kos and squishy no commanding figure there!
chamakh and i think even arshavin is another one listen to what they are told to do rather than do the telling!

Yeah I agree with that.

It's probably why Wenger went with Nasri in this game was hoping him to play it all and not use Fabregas and then do it the other way round against Everton.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Return to Match Reports 10/11