Arsenal 1 - 1 Leeds

Arsenal 1 - 1 Leeds

Postby singaporegooner » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:37 pm

First FA cup tie for the season and there's plenty of excitement going round the stands.
With the hectic Christmas period just over, Wenger promised he'll rotate his squad and he was true to his words.

A whopping total of 9 changes saw only Djourou and Song retain their places. In came Szczesny, Eboue, Squillaci, Gibbs, Denilson, Bendtner, Rosicky, Arshavin, Chamakh.

The bench read an even more interesting list, Fabianski, Clichy, Miquel, Fabregas, Vela, Walcott, Ramsey.
Now how's that for strength indepth.

The game was expected to be an open attacking game and both sides certainly didn't disappoint.

With both teams trying to stamp their mark on the game, it was the home side which carved out the first real chance of the game.
Rosicky sent Arshavin clear on goal in the 11th minute and with a 1 on 1 against Schmeichel Junior, Arshavin missed the chance and Schmeichel smothered the shot.

Leeds were proving to be well organised with their captain Howsun making up good ground in midfield to close down spaces.
Arsenal loanee Sanchez Watt was also buzzing around the box with a spectacular shot outside the box which flew high over the bar.

Surprisingly, most of Arsenal's chances are coming from set pieces.
Chamakh had a free header following a corner but was aimed straight at the keeper who saved with ease.

The backline of Leeds is proving hard to breakdown, with Bruce, O'Brien and Schmeichel giving a good account of themselves.

The half ended all square with some disgruntled fans booing the team off.

Second half started with the home side showing more urgency and impetus.
Song burst forward and drove into the box only to have his cross behind the strikers and cleared by the Leeds defence.

In the 53rd minute, the deadlock was finally broken albeit it was the visiting team who got it.
Gravel jinked his way into the box and when getting pass he was brought down by the trailing leg of Denilson.
Clear penalty and a very soft one to give away by Denilson. He could have little complaints about the penalty.

Up stepped Snodgrass who struck the penalty into the bottom corner, with Szczesny getting a hand to it but couldn't keep it out.

The penalty forced Wenger to make his first move, and that was to replace Song with Fabregas.
It was clear that Wenger is intent on drawing level and winning the game.

Fabregas' introduction had added more invention and bite into the attack and hopes are high for an equalizer.

Shortly after the substitution, Walcott was sent on for Chamakh, and he was to have a say in the outcome of the game.

At this point now, Arsenal is pouring forward in search of the elusive equaliser yet Leeds were not a spent force yet.

Snodgrass had an opportunity from a freekick which so nearly wrong footed Szczesny, but lucky for him, the ball flew wide of the post.

A ball over the defence saw Walcott breaking free and crossing for the on-rushing Bendtner. A penalty shout went up as O'Brien stuck his foot in and cleared the ball away from Bendtner, taking the man at the same time.
However the ref saw it as a good challenge and waved away the penalty claims.

More chances came with Bendtner wasting a headed chance, yet the equaliser eludes the home side.

Shortly, a moment of controversy erupted.
Walcott was brought down in the box during the process of playing a pass to Bendtner. The ref had pointed to the spot initially however after consulting his assistant, decided to award a freekick to the visitor as a result of an offside decision against Bendtner. Replays showed that Bendtner was indeed offside, however the argument was clearly about Walcott being brought down in the box.

A penalty decision finally came Arsenal's way and Walcott vindicated Wenger's decision to send him on.
Walcott was sent clear with a through pass and was in hot pursuit by the covering defender Parker. However he was adjudged to have impeded Walcott and the ref pointed to the spot. Replays supported the ref's decision and the penalty awarded.

Up stepped Fabregas and showing calm and composure, he sent the penalty straight down the goal with Schmeichel diving to his right. Late late equaliser on the 90th minute.

The home team now had their tails up and were trying to win the game. Pouring forward at every opportunity, the Arsenal was clearly trying to win the game and by now, Leeds were hanging on for dear life.

Denilson, Bendtner and Walcott all had chances in added time to win the game but wayward finishing and an inspired Schmeichel ensured that the game ended all square.

Replay will be at Elland Road next and Wenger will have an extra game to juggle in his 4 front assault for honors this season.
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Arsenal 1 - 1 Leeds

Postby SE13 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Good work there.

Certainly Arsenal escaped by the skin of their teeth.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Arsenal 1 - 1 Leeds

Postby Git » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:39 pm

Nice report mate. :)
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:54 am

Good report, shame about the result
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:37 am

I'll use this place to clear it up as I've seen it reported wrong again.

The ref didn't give anything with that penalty decision. He saw the linesman flag and thought it was for a penalty. Ref gives a penalty then the linesman let's him know that wasn't what the flag was for.

Hope that makes sense. I was confused as everyone else to start with.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby SE13 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:01 pm

And they got that one wrong as well as the foul was committed before the flagged incident.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:05 pm

SE13 wrote:And they got that one wrong as well as the foul was committed before the flagged incident.

What foul? I only saw a dive by Walcott and neither he ref or linesman ever deemed it a foul in the first place mate!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Return to Match Reports 10/11