Arsenal 0 Manchester City 0

Postby Gunner Down Under » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:23 am

Arsenal vs Manchester City

One of the more crucial games this season with 2nd vs 3rd at the Emirates. The winner would go further in their title race, catching up with United, while the other would have their title hopes dashed.

Arsenal fielded the same lineup as against Birmingham City where we won 3-0, but this time it’s against tougher opposition, against opponents not battling against relegation but for the title. However it was one that promised goals in the match, and as with Manchester City playing the same type of attacking formation (4-2-3-1) it would not be a surprise if we ended with a high-scoring game.

The chances fell for Arsenal as soon as the ball was rolling. A wild scramble for the ball around City’s box created a chance for Arsenal, who really should have put it away. City went on the counter, Milner going wide, but then it was back to City’s side with Wilshere shooting at Hart, and Van Persie hitting the left post! Wilshere has another chance, and that was all only in the first 10 minutes, where we should had at least a goal or two to show for it.

Arsenal were closing Manchester City down well, with them unable to salvage any good chances, as their midfield was breaking down and therefore they were unable to get to Milner, Jo or Tevez.

After a period in which both teams had chances another move down the left began, seemingly similar to the one where Van Persie hit the post. Fabregas took a touch, venturing inside the box and pulled the trigger.

Hitting the same post with the same passing move. Walcott tried to get it, but also failed to hit the target.

Tevez then started an attack of his own, but his powerful shot isn’t accurate enough and goes wide. Yaya Toure’s chance a minute later was broken down by some almost lucky Arsenal defending, however you could definitely say the same about City.

Back to Arsenal’s possession tactics now. It’s working, at half time Arsenal hold a game controlling 62%, Another chance for Arsenal, a chance to make it 1-0, as Walcott dashes down the right, thinks about going for a shot but doesn’t shoot, and when he does it’s more of a cross and the ball hits De Jong’s arm. De Jong has been booked already, is this a handball???

It wasn’t. Another piece of the jigsaw going wrong for Arsenal as the ball was floated away. It went to Van Persie who tried a curler from long range, finding its target but held safe by Hart. And in the final minute of the first half Tevez shoots a dipper but it’s inaccurate and misses.

The first half created plenty of chances but no goals, and both teams would want one ball in the back of the net instead of ten balls around the net.

Arsenal again started the half well, creating chances through the pacey Walcott and winning corners, hinting that a goal would be on the cards. But however close we came, including a well struck shot far out by Van Persie that was saved by Hart, we couldn’t find a way to venture into their box and get a decent shot in. The absence of Silva and Balotelli was clearly evident as Tevez dropped back, creating a gradual change from 4-2-3-1 to 4-5-1 to 5-5-0.

It was a match to forget, with Manchester City playing defensive, dour, negative football repelling every attack but failing to push forward. How does a team with such offensive prowess manage to play like that?

The game went from bad to worse, as after seeming frustration from not getting a goal, Sagna appeared to headbutt Zabaleta. The ref sent them both off, however it was an unfair decision towards Zabaleta, who didn’t appear to make any contact with Sagna at all.

Towards the end of the match, when even Tevez went off for Boateng, a DEFENDER, it was very clear that City were playing for the draw and not anything else. City not deserving of anything in this drawn match, but somehow salvaging a point in a game where on paper both teams were supposed to be attacking and at each other’s goals.

Frustrating? Yes. An anticlimax beyond any expectations, with Manchester City’s negative, ultra defensive play weathering the storm beyond all predictions, including an embarrassing red card at the end of the game finished off one of the boring performances I have ever seen, with 5 shots by City, but with ZERO on target. How that is achieved among a team with such attacking talent I simply do not know.

The real winner at the end of this game was not Arsenal, not Chelsea, not any other team except Manchester United, this draw and with Spurs and Chelsea losing puts the title race more and more into their hands.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Arsenal 0 Manchester City 0

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:37 am

One thing I do disagree with is how we didn't deserve anything out of the game. If you keep a clean sheet you deserve something! As much as Arsenal dominated they couldn't finish the job and Hart only really had 1 decent save to make whilst the others went straight to him or wide.

If we drew 1-1 I'd probably agree we didn't deserve a point.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:42 am

Man City are so boring...if everyone played like them no one would watch football.
Rick
Liam Brady

Postby ivan itchybum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:One thing I do disagree with is how we didn't deserve anything out of the game. If you keep a clean sheet you deserve something! As much as Arsenal dominated they couldn't finish the job and Hart only really had 1 decent save to make whilst the others went straight to him or wide.

keep a clean sheet by having nearly the hole team back desperately trying to get the ball and somehow not conceed. Ye were a disgrace to football last night you can't argue that.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:44 pm

ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:One thing I do disagree with is how we didn't deserve anything out of the game. If you keep a clean sheet you deserve something! As much as Arsenal dominated they couldn't finish the job and Hart only really had 1 decent save to make whilst the others went straight to him or wide.

keep a clean sheet by having nearly the hole team back desperately trying to get the ball and somehow not conceed. Ye were a disgrace to football last night you can't argue that.

How can we be a disgrace. We played to the rules and Arsenal didn't!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Git » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:47 pm

You need to stop writing match reports GDU.

You're more of a curse than Cheese!
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby ivan itchybum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:

we played to the rules too... disgrace because ye went out with absaloutely no intension of trying to win just hang on, if everyone played like that football would be dead.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:33 pm

ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:

we played to the rules too... disgrace because ye went out with absaloutely no intension of trying to win just hang on, if everyone played like that football would be dead.

So next time a player gets a straight red against Arsenal, we will class that as playing to the rules? And don't mention Zabs as we all know it was undeserved and has already been appealed.

Next time should we go all out and attack so you can break us down easier and score?
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Yorky you can't just ignore the straight red to Zabaleta and then turn around and call us cheats. That's astonishingly hypocritical.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ivan itchybum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:

So next time a player gets a straight red against Arsenal, we will class that as playing to the rules? And don't mention Zabs as we all know it was undeserved and has already been appealed.

Next time should we go all out and attack so you can break us down easier and score?

the second both players got up from the ground zab moved straight over to sagna and started on him instead of walking away sagna was just sticking up for himself.
it hasn't been appealed yet
you could atleast attept some positive play, every team could say what you said at the end there its retarded

ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:44 pm

ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:

the second both players got up from the ground zab moved straight over to sagna and started on him instead of walking away sagna was just sticking up for himself.
you could atleast attept some positive play, every team could say what you said at the end there its retarded

Calling me retarded and pretty much calling me a liar about the appeal. Nice. Grow up.

Here we go, City have appealed.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary ... eal-060111
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re:

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Leody wrote:Yorky you can't just ignore the straight red to Zabaleta and then turn around and call us cheats. That's astonishingly hypocritical.

How is it hypocritical? He didn't deserve the sending off. If he cheated and dived on the floor, he wouldn't of been sent off. Just cos a player gets a red doesn't mean they did something wrong. Refs get it wrong sometimes like last night.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ivan itchybum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:

Calling me retarded and pretty much calling me a liar about the appeal. Nice. Grow up.

didn't call you retarded said your excuse for not attacking was retarded. look at blackpool for example they attack when ever possible against any team even if its a big team.

sorry bout the appeal thing i thought you meant it had allready been dismissed :hiding:

ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:54 pm

ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:

didn't call you retarded said your excuse for not attacking was retarded. look at blackpool for example they attack when ever possible against any team even if its a big team.

sorry bout the appeal thing i thought you meant it had allready been dismissed :hiding:

Have you played Blackpool at home yet? If so, did they come at you, what was the score? I can't be bothered looking.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Fair play to citeh for sticking to their guns but, Yorky if we'd won 1-0 would you have felt you deserved something out of the game? It's academic i know but just wanted to know your thoughts.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Next

Return to Match Reports 10/11