Chelsea 2 Arsenal 0, a result we've come to expect

Chelsea 2 Arsenal 0, a result we've come to expect

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Arsenal were playing against Chelsea again and it didn’t look good from the onset, with Arsenal coming off a shock 3-2 defeat last week and we missed Fabregas, Vermaelen and Van Persie leaving Diaby to fill in the hole in the middle. To make matters worse Fabianski was in goal, and he marks starting appearances with a dreadful mistake every time, it was just a matter of when he was going to leave a massive hole in our goal.

Nevertheless a relatively young side took to the field against the Blues, knowing that three points would do us a world of good as would a draw, seeing as at that time Liverpool were behind at home to Blackpool.

Arsenal had a very lively start with two headers coming close, Koscielny missing a chance where he just had to tap the ball in, but heading the ball over. Chelsea then had Malouda hitting it on the bounce, going over, and Arshavin had a mass of chances that worried the Chelsea defense, Ivanovic in particular. Nasri didn’t fare badly either with some chances, but both fell on his weaker foot. And Fabianski then marked the occasion with a typical mistake, trying to punch out the ball but slicing it into the box with a lucky clearance.
Drogba had a chance resulting from bad Arsenal defending that Fabianski then saved.

Chelsea seemed to be better in front of goal than we were however with more corners falling to them in the first half and they looked more confident in front of goal, and that showed with Arsenal passing it round the box only shooting with Nasri’s weaker foot and creating chances with crosses that had no end result, even with Chamakh playing as striker.
Meanwhile for Chelsea they were getting plenty of corners and scored through Drogba on a play that Arsenal couldn’t do today, or probably any other team in the Premier League for that matter, shooting from the near post and ending up at the back of the net. Again. Half time came with Arsenal 1-0 down from a textbook Chelsea goal, and with Diaby seemingly injured.

The second half started well with Chamakh having a few chances, beginning Arsenal’s best spell of the game. Corners come and go, no effect as Chelsea’s defending is good and shows Arsenal’s obvious weakness, and it ends with Anelka missing a glorious chance that resulted from seemingly typical as of this game, wasteful Arsenal play and confident, efficient Chelsea. Arsenal had chances but the touches on the ball were well off today, and didn’t look like scoring to say the least. As for Chelsea they were creating chances, and amazingly they were foiled by Fabianski with finally a decent game today.

Ashley Cole began to turn the tide with an offside goal, as Song tries a shot from distance but misses......... and that’s modest. We begin to try from longer distance to try and get a goal but Cech is having a good game and saves Rosicky’s shot minutes later.
The final minutes of the game tick down, with Jay-Emmanuel Thomas coming on for Wilshere having his first League start, and it still looks like box to box football, but no goals resulting from it, until Koscielny trips Anelka a good 25 yards out. Drogba looked to take the free kick but Alex pounded it past the wall, past Fabianski and almost past the net with his shot, giving Chelsea’s second of the night.

Cole gave Fabianski something to cheer about with a shot too close to him, giving him more confidence to his dry tank but it ends 2-0, Arsenal looking lively until they fell to pieces in front of goal while Chelsea extend their lead at the top of the table with clinical football. Possession was 50-50 for all of the game, and it shows, like last week, that possession can’t give you goals.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Chelsea 2 Arsenal 0, a result we've come to expect

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Not the result I was expecting tbh.
With half the team missing I was expecting 4-1 to Chelscum.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Not the result I was expecting tbh.
With half the team missing I was expecting 4-1 to Chelscum.

Yeah I was expecting worse before the game, but we didn't do well, we should have at least scored.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Good stuff GDU, but yeah I picked 3-0 scum in the prediction league... So not really what I expected.

My one commentary on the blog though... why make an reference to Liverpool? They really don't have much relevance in our season any more do they? :lol:

Unless you wanted to draw a comparison between us and Blackpool and our inability to get a win while they were able to.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Myrmedus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:35 pm

I got the prediction perfect *flex* - 2-0 Chelsea, Drogba first scorer.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Est83 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:44 pm

I think the game could have gone either way to be honest. Same old same old really, us giving them a lesson in football, them giving us a lesson in finishing.

Even though we didn't have the penetration we usually have, our crossing was much improved and we deserved atleast one goal. An early goal (as if!) and Chelski might have opened up, and then we'd be talking about a completely different result.

In recent years it has been a case of our gung ho attack leaving us open to obvious counter attacks, and 2 or 3 without reply would be expected. Today was different. Even though the scoreline's the same, the manner was different. Like I said, could have gone either way.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Myrmedus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:38 pm

To follow up Est: in the last few games we've almost always gone behind against Chelsea and that's screwed us because then they can sit back, defend and counter - definitely need to sort that out.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby dunkdafunk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 am

perhaps we should have slightly different tactics against chealski and manu, park the bus and let our fast forwards and an attacking mid, catch them on the counter.
we always come short agaisnt the title contenders.

Fabianski had a decent game, considering he let 2 in.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Return to Match Reports 10/11