Stoke Vs Arsenal | Premiership 08/05/11

Re: Stoke Vs Arsenal | Premiership 08/05/11

Postby SE13 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:03 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Tactics are such an obvious problem, people are raving over David Luiz, and Chelsea paid £24m for him, he is EXACTLY the same as Kos, and yet people rave over him because Chelsea have set tactics in place to allow that type of technical defender to slot on seamlessly.

This

GunnGunn wrote:If we had a great defence, and Kos came in, people would be saying AW had found the next Maldini ffs.

This

GunnGunn wrote:We all saw against Barca how good he can be, but how are our defenders supposed to have any sort of consistency when our tactics do not?

This

GunnGunn wrote:Same as if Bendtner scored 35 goals next season. Djourou and Kos are just players that fans don't want to see, for some reason Vermaelen is, probably because he has become 5x the player he was, by not playing for nearly a season.

And this.

Can't fault a single word of that, and if you can, wake up and put your nose in a coffee cup.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby JordanTheGunner » Sun May 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Gunner11 wrote:I would rather have us encorporate three formations next season (considering no new summer signings): a 4-3-1-2, a 4-4-2, or a 3-4-1-2 depending on the teams we're playing against.

If we play teams who park the bus, then employ a 4-3-1-2 formation. Our defense will have enough cover to deal with long balls, but at the same time we would still cause enough problems going forward.

Szcz
Sagna Djourou Vermaelen Clichy
Cesc Song Wilshere
Nasri
Theo RVP

(RVP plays as the hold up striker to Theo. Theo could come off in the 2nd half for one of our tall strikers and then that tall player would play as the hold up striker to RVP if the Theo-RVP combo isn't working)

If we play teams that have a weak back line, then play a 4-4-2 formation. We'll use the flanks to our advantage, punishing our opponents with crosses. At the same time we can cause some damage by taking shots from outside the box with the likes of Nasri, Cesc, and RVP.

Szcz
Sagna Djourou Vermaelen Clichy
Theo Cesc Song Nasri
RVP Bendy

(As Jordan said, Jack and Song can not play together if we use the traditional 4-4-2 formation)

If we play teams that will take more shots than we do, then employ a 3-4-1-2 formation. Focus our game on long balls, utilizing Theo's pace and allowing the other team to dominate the game once in a while in terms of possession.

Szcz
Djourou Vermaelen Kos
Sagna Cesc Song Clichy
Nasri
Theo RVP

Smart idea there pal, I don't see Wenger changing his tactics for the opposition, i'm looking back over the years, he never really has changed it, that may be the reason United have virtually won this league, that might be the difference, we're too predictable, I could look at our injuries and suspensions then I could tell you the exact line up and formation. I love that last formation and that could work, maybe tinker with Nas and Cesc switch em' round, I could see that working, but does Wenger, I don't think he does. The only thing I address to you is what about Wilshere, he has made a mark this season and that's why i'm questionning you, if he starts on the bench then maybe he might think twice about leaving for city, so are you prepared to take that risk or is there a plan with that?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ProudGooner » Sun May 08, 2011 9:31 pm

I lost count on how many times rvp got the ball, had to move to the right or the left to recieve it, took it wider and then we had no one in the middle for him to cross so he then had to pass it back to someone else. If was playing just behind a proper CF he would have more options. He looks isolated upfront to me. He has done incredibly well playing as a lone striker.

I watched the game and I was absolutely disgusted. All those pretty patterns and passes, we bossed posession and our defense had f**k all to do. The first time they are called into question they f**k it up. Doesnt that make u sick? We out possess every single team which means we have to defensively deal with the least amount of attacks and yet we are experts at screwing things up.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby mg86 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:37 pm

ProudGooner wrote:I lost count on how many times rvp got the ball, had to move to the right or the left to recieve it, took it wider and then we had no one in the middle for him to cross so he then had to pass it back to someone else. If was playing just behind a proper CF he would have more options. He looks isolated upfront to me. He has done incredibly well playing as a lone striker.

I watched the game and I was absolutely disgusted. All those pretty patterns and passes, we bossed posession and our defense had f**k all to do. The first time they are called into question they f**k it up. Doesnt that make u sick? We out possess every single team which means we have to defensively deal with the least amount of attacks and yet we are experts at screwing things up.

Djourou and Gibbs were responsible for the first goal. The second was a lucky deflection. The third was absolutely awful distribution in the box. 2 self inflicted goals.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ProudGooner » Sun May 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Have to say I love Wilshere. People that say he needs to tone down his temper are nuts. His temper is what makes him even better. We need that, its just a shame no one else in the team has the same passion and desire and hatred for losing as he does.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby dubgooner » Sun May 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Typical Wenger slagging night.
What crap you guys come up with .
Without that little voice in your head, you wouldn't be able to read this!
dubgooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ProudGooner » Sun May 08, 2011 10:07 pm

dubgooner wrote:Typical Wenger slagging night.
What crap you guys come up with .

what are you talking about? who are you referring to?
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Est83 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:20 pm

Suddenly everyone's a better manager than Wenger :rolleyes:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 pm

JordanTheGunner wrote:Smart idea there pal, I don't see Wenger changing his tactics for the opposition, i'm looking back over the years, he never really has changed it, that may be the reason United have virtually won this league, that might be the difference, we're too predictable, I could look at our injuries and suspensions then I could tell you the exact line up and formation. I love that last formation and that could work, maybe tinker with Nas and Cesc switch em' round, I could see that working, but does Wenger, I don't think he does. The only thing I address to you is what about Wilshere, he has made a mark this season and that's why i'm questionning you, if he starts on the bench then maybe he might think twice about leaving for city, so are you prepared to take that risk or is there a plan with that?

Thats where a great manager comes in. A great manager needs to convince his players that they each have a part to play in the team. By doing this, the player remains motivated in training and performs at his best when called upon. Wilshere is 19 and he should understand when he's needed and when he isn't. If anything a few matches on the bench would probably do him and the team some good.

Look at United for example. They have Berbatov, Rooney, and the chick pea, but you don't see Ferguson relying on one striker. Ferguson observes the situation he's in and adjusts his line-up to match the problem. Berbatov is the leagues top scorer and yet he's been on the bench a great deal this season. However when called upon, he's just as effective. The same thing applies to their midfield. Nani has been rotated a bit this season and he has the most assists this season (He didn't even play in the Chelsea game today). Ferguson has his team on a leash which is more than I can say for Wenger.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's a correct formula to winning every game and Wenger needs to realize that using the same formation and the same players won't get you 3 points every game......This is probably why our key players seem to get injured every season in comparison to United's, Barca's, etc who rarely do not. It's also probably why we lost to a team of defenders in the FA Cup :doh:
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Est83 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:42 pm

He's played the 4-4-2 with two rotating midfielders.

He's played the 4-4-2 with one holding and two speedy wingers.

He's played the 4-1-3-2 with one holding and the wingers cutting in behind the strikers.

He's played the 4-5-1/4-3-3 with two attacking mids.

Now he's playing the 4-2-1-3.

He's even had five strikers on the pitch at one time before now

.... the man is capable of change!

I too want to see a change in formation (with people playing in their best positions), but the previous five trophyless seasons have a hell of a lot more to do with our transitional period, youth project and lack of funds than it does Wenger picking the wrong formation.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby gzagee » Sun May 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Both me and Chvster were saying recently JD has the touch of the Kolo's about him.
Believe it or not he needs someone to tell him where to go, what to do and when to do it. He cannot be depended upon to lead our defence because he's not intelligent enough a CB to do so.
Get him an organiser to play alongside and we'll see the best of JD.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Leody » Sun May 08, 2011 10:50 pm

gzagee wrote:Both me and Chvster were saying recently JD has the touch of the Kolo's about him.
Believe it or not he needs someone to tell him where to go, what to do and when to do it. He cannot be depended upon to lead our defence because he's not intelligent enough a CB to do so.

And that's the problem with a squad full of 24 and under. There's nobody to do that.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Leody wrote:
gzagee wrote:Both me and Chvster were saying recently JD has the touch of the Kolo's about him.

And that's the problem with a squad full of 24 and under. There's nobody to do that.

Ha! Wenger solved that problem by bringing in Tonto.... :angry:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Est83 wrote:He's played the 4-4-2 with two rotating midfielders.

He's played the 4-4-2 with one holding and two speedy wingers.

He's played the 4-1-3-2 with one holding and the wingers cutting in behind the strikers.

He's played the 4-5-1/4-3-3 with two attacking mids.

Now he's playing the 4-2-1-3.

He's even had five strikers on the pitch at one time before now

.... the man is capable of change!

I too want to see a change in formation (with people playing in their best positions), but the previous five trophyless seasons have a hell of a lot more to do with our transitional period, youth project and lack of funds than it does Wenger picking the wrong formation.

I may be wrong, but from what I've seen recently, AW usually plays the 4-5-1 formation. The other formations usually come up in the 2nd half of games when we're loosing or not playing well. What I'm saying is that Wenger should go into games with the proper formation and players capable of doing the job on the day. Whether its an ugly or class performance, the 3 points is all that matters at the end of the day.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby Est83 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm talking about previous seasons.

It's only the last two seasons that our 4-3-3 has been the norm.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2010-11