Tottenham Vs Arsenal | Premiership 20/04/11

Re: Tottenham Vs Arsenal | Premiership 20/04/11

Postby elkanofan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:06 pm

mg86 wrote:
elkanofan wrote:The positive thing about today was the passion!

The negative is i don't think were good enough!

No, our goalie and cb Koschielny aren't good enough. I'm tempted to throw Clichy in there too because several times the right side had players exposed with Nasri playing d instead of Gael.

The whole team isn't good enough, where the hell did Farbegas, Van Persie and Nasri go when Tottenham were all over us? barca defend the exact same way but their players don't give the ball away half as much as our front players do!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TRA Dial Square » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Leody wrote:All this talk about the offsides goal... have any of you stopped to think that Gomes heard the whistle and let up, or he took his eye off the shot when he saw the flag go up? Who's to say that if the ref didn't blow the whistle he then keeps his focus and makes that save?

Gomes was just fractions of an inch from making that save anyhow.

You could clearly see he didn't know. The pundits here and commentators made a clear point of it, more than once.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:25 pm

3-1 up and i knew Spurs would come back, i just knew it, thats the worst feeling i think!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:26 pm

TRA Dial Square wrote:
Leody wrote:All this talk about the offsides goal... have any of you stopped to think that Gomes heard the whistle and let up, or he took his eye off the shot when he saw the flag go up? Who's to say that if the ref didn't blow the whistle he then keeps his focus and makes that save?

You could clearly see he didn't know. The pundits here and commentators made a clear point of it, more than once.

The same pundits that said we'd finish out of the top 4 right?
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TRA Dial Square » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Leody wrote:
TRA Dial Square wrote:

The same pundits that said we'd finish out of the top 4 right?

I think everybody watching at home could see he had no clue and was still attempting to save the shot.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:29 pm

I now understand why fans of other clubs say they've never seen Arsenal lose a match that wasn't because of the ref.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TRA Dial Square » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:38 pm

Leody wrote:I now understand why fans of other clubs say they've never seen Arsenal lose a match that wasn't because of the ref.

You're just being stupid now. Did I blame an official? No. I clearly said I know the score is the only thing that matters; THE RESULT, etc. I've also said time & again (not just with this game where the team, after powering on all cylinders at the beginning and IMO clearly showing fight) just don't have what it takes to continue that throughout the entire game.

I clearly stated I wasn't blaming "a bias linesman" (didn't even mention the ref in fact).

van Persie was at least 1/2 yrd ONSide. This is according to not only me and probably half a dozen other Gooners who saw it, but 2 commentator's who could see it clearly including Ray Wilkins (A KNOWN Spud) and Alan Smith / Teddy Sheringham in the studio. -- There were 2 angles (not just the one behind the pole) which showed his position, clear as day.

We all know the result would have been 3-4 had it been counted but it wasn't & there's nothing that can be done about it now; but where's the argument coming from? - I'm stating a fact?? :dontknow:

Added: In fact, as much as I despise Martin Atkinson I actually thought he had a bloody good game tonight; and thought the game itself was outstanding.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Sorry, but it just makes me laugh that folks are making this 'offside goal' a critical point. The point is we threw away a two goal lead against our arch enemies for the second time this season. Had we been able to show maturity and patience we should've ridden out this game comfortably.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Gunflash » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Wenger's substitutions were disastrous as usual. The thing is they were inevitable. When I saw Bendtner and Arshavin coming on, I knew it would be for Nasri and Walcott and that Bendtner would be marooned out on the right, whilst Arshavin would do little to help Clichy or to add to our potency going forward. Our second half performance was quite ragged I thought and we failed to pick up the Spurs's runners. Yet again we have blown a two-goal lead against Spurs. A total lack of defensive cohesion, concentration and mental strength. We had a few minutes to get to half-time at 3-1 but we couldn't do that, thanks to Cesc's dreadful clearance and our failure to close down Huddlestone. But sadly I wasn't surprised that we drew either.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby TRA Dial Square » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:48 pm

gzagee wrote:Sorry, but it just makes me laugh that folks are making this 'offside goal' a critical point. The point is we threw away a two goal lead against our arch enemies for the second time this season. Had we been able to show maturity and patience we should've ridden out this game comfortably.

Agreed & had that been the case, we would have won it...

But the point still stands. If a totally legitimate goal not been disallowed; we would have won it.

Both sides of the coin G.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby So100 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:54 pm

gzagee wrote:Sorry, but it just makes me laugh that folks are making this 'offside goal' a critical point. The point is we threw away a two goal lead against our arch enemies for the second time this season. Had we been able to show maturity and patience we should've ridden out this game comfortably.

I think last season we lost 15 points from a winning position, I think we are at 13 so far with 5 games still to go..............they have learned nothing it would appear!
So100
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ProudGooner » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:28 am

The Question: Why do we keep drawing and losing from winning situations?

Bad luck
    Its the referee
    Bad defending

Now lets pay a little bit of attention.

Bad Luck: We can do nothing about it.
Referee: We can do nothing about it.
Bad Defending: We can do a hell of a lot about it.

It wasnt the referee that allowed Lennon a free run on goal from the left. It wasnt bad luck that struck Lennon and knocked him over in the penalty box.

It was the same old culprit "Bad defending". So we need to stop the moaning and focus on our defense. What moaning about the ref does is it lets the heat off of our defenders. we should be criticising the defense and looking at ways to improve it.

Honestly, it is a shame. Our defense is put under a lot less pressure than most other defenses yet they cannot even handle that.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Leody » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:00 am

TRA Dial Square wrote:
Leody wrote:I now understand why fans of other clubs say they've never seen Arsenal lose a match that wasn't because of the ref.

You're just being stupid now. Did I blame an official? No. I clearly said I know the score is the only thing that matters; THE RESULT, etc. I've also said time & again (not just with this game where the team, after powering on all cylinders at the beginning and IMO clearly showing fight) just don't have what it takes to continue that throughout the entire game.

You're hardly the only one that's brought up the offside call. That wasn't directed at you alone, no need to get worked up. The overall amount of focus on that call after the game on here is frankly, embarrassing.

ProudGooner wrote:It was the same old culprit "Bad defending". So we need to stop the moaning and focus on our defense. What moaning about the ref does is it lets the heat off of our defenders. we should be criticising the defense and looking at ways to improve it.

Amen brother.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 am

Just got home guys (a couple hours ago) and I saw the result. I understand some peoples frustration but, the way I see it, the PL may come down to goal difference between United, Chelsea and us. We need to show no mercy against teams that arent in the top 4 and show United an Arsenal team they've never seen before.

I also gotta admit that I was worried about our last 2 games and I was expecting a loss from both of them, but we came through them better than I expected. I now strongly believe we can win the title.

If we can't beat the likes of Bolton, Fulham, Villa, etc. by a goal difference of 2 or more then we don't deserve the title. The title is there for the plucking because I'm quite sure United will still drop, at most, 6 points this season. There's no one left to stop us from winning the league except ourselves.

So come on lads!!! I BELIEVE AGAIN!!!!!!

:arse flag.gif: :grouphug: :arse flag.gif:
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby lucifer82 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:48 am

Dunno why I f**kin did, but I've watched highlights of the game. Glutton for punishment. In real time, when yer immersed in the game, the occasion, it's harder to take it all in, but what I've noticed and what's made me think... we scored in the openin five minutes. Nice goal, etc etc. That's a setup and a half. That's a chance for the team to think "Look. 1 up already. Compusure, keep assured, don't worry, keep tight for 10-15 and let's see if THEY lapse and we can pick another hole in their defence". What do we do? Concede about 3 mins later. For me, Diaby does well enough to track Van Der Vaart but he must know he's goin for a shot, he should be flingin his body across to block the shot, and I must say Sczszeny got caught out a bit. Concentration, alertness, focus? Where is it? Nowhere to be seen.

Good goal, the 2nd. Nasri has a shot every now and again from outside the box or on the 18 yard line and he's scored some nice goals from there. All well and good, 2-1, we're playin some good stuff, but we're still givin THAT lot opportunities to threathen. Anyway, on it goes. Next thing yer know, 3-1, good play, good stuff from Robin and we're 2 up with 5 minutes to half time. Should be brilliant, don't yer think? Again though, 3 or 4 minutes later, the ascendency swings back to them wiv their 2nd goal. That totally decided how we went about the 2nd half. It didn't matter who was in the dressin room at half time. Wenger, Gandhi or f**kin Martin Luther King, our players went out for the 2nd, brickin it. I think our forwards go out thinkin "It's alright, we can score some more" so their onus is on scorin, wheras the our defenders are thinkin "What if we concede? We get the blame!" There doesn't seem to be that collective cohesion in defence at all.

We don't know how to structure our game at all. We don't know how to make it borin for the spectator, even for our own fans. If we're winnin by 2 goals away, anywhere, that's good enough for me. I'm not sayin "park the bus!" at that point, but we need to know how to play THE GAME. Structure it, be smart, be savvy, mentally try and wilt the opponent. Instead it's the same old, same old, everyone barrin the two centre backs approachin the last third, tryin to get in on a Harlem Globetrotters passin move and when it gets broken up, were susceptible to counter attacks. Which only brings on nerves and makes us more prone to mistakes.
"I would rather smother my son than let him support Tottenham." - Noel Gallagher
"It's weird, innit? You don't see any white dog shit around anymore, do ya? Not since the 70's." - Bones (AKA Perry Benson)
lucifer82
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2010-11