Arsenal vs Ipswich Town | Carling Cup 25/1/11

Re: Arsenal vs Ipswich Town | Carling Cup 25/1/11

Postby ProudGooner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Wilshere was amazing, my MOM. What a find! What a player. If we can keep this team together and fit we will win things.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby UFGN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Forest wrote:
UFGN wrote:The CC on its own means less than nothing.

It will stop everyone going "Well Arsenal havent won a trophy for X amount of years now" :BangHead:

No it wont.

Wenger thinks the cc is bullshit. So do I. His attitude to it over a period of over a decade has been to use it for blooding youngsters. But now he is desperate to cling on to his reputation and in doing so is doing a humiliating U turn.

So again, i hope it helps the players to better things THIS year, otherwise its a total farce.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby djaxster » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:37 pm

It should hopefully put some spirit into the playes to win more comp's.UFGN.
Don't forget thats waht started our succes under Graham by winning this cup in 86. We then went onto to the final again next year( although we lost to Luton) and winning the league in 89 and then on.
The team need to have something they have achieved behind them.
I feel we are in a good spot to get to the FA Cup final and if we can and finish 2nd in the PL, it will kep certain big players here to go for it next season
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:42 pm

UFGN wrote:So again, i hope it helps the players to better things THIS year, otherwise its a total farce.

Assuming we're all in agreement that winning the CC is a massive psychological boost to all the players (especially the kids and the players who've never won anything) and will give them belief to go and win other pots, I don't think it's actually that crucial when the pot comes is it?
If they get a mental boost from winning a small pot then even if they don't win a big one until the following year what does it matter?
The point is it helped.

The difference between teams who've won many times and teams who've never won is belief. They don't get the belief without the winning.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 pm

It matters a lot. If we win nothing else Wenger will still use the cc as fake proof that his policies are working, letting the arrogant t**t get away with up to two or three more years of putting my money in the bank instead of investing in the squad. Secondly there is the issue of player retention, if we continue to go without proper silverwear we will start to struggle to keep the players we have. and thirdly, because the present is just as important as the future. Its all very well hoping for a tomorrow that never comes.... but you could get hit by a bus tomorrow.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:34 pm

UFGN wrote:...and thirdly, because the present is just as important as the future. Its all very well hoping for a tomorrow that never comes.... but you could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Come on you can do better than that.

;)
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:35 pm

On Koscielny's goal celebration...
"Maybe [it means] his girlfriend is pregnant? I don't know. Something like that."

:lol:
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:44 pm

UFGN... jog on! you're borin'!!! ;)

Going off topic a bit, but still relating to your blatant anti-Wenger comments (they're anti-Wenger because they're a hit at his planning for the future). What other team do you know of that could have made financial cut-backs big enough to allow for a big stadium move, whilst still remaining competitive on the pitch?

After the invincibles, then the FA Cup win, we then went to the CL final the next year, the CC final the year after that with kids, then finished 4 points from top of the Prem the season after that. We could have had silverwear, we had a team capable, but little things went against us. Wenger has done a brilliant job!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby ProudGooner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 pm

UFGN wrote:It matters a lot. If we win nothing else Wenger will still use the cc as fake proof that his policies are working, letting the arrogant t**t get away with up to two or three more years of putting my money in the bank instead of investing in the squad. Secondly there is the issue of player retention, if we continue to go without proper silverwear we will start to struggle to keep the players we have. and thirdly, because the present is just as important as the future. Its all very well hoping for a tomorrow that never comes.... but you could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Even if we win nothing Wenger will have excuses and Wenger will still be there.

I really dont understand you. We have reached a final, we are in contention for the league. Most people actually do not realise how close we are in the league. Its a 5 point gap alright but we have played 95% of our tough games. All the games we have left are winnable. Manu have to play Chelsea twice, Liverpool away, Man City at home and lots of other tricky away games. We are in the FA Cup and the CL. After Barca we are playing the best football in the world.

Honestly, this is as good as I have seen us ever play attacking wise. We have been amazing and we have just reached a final and you are moaning.

This final will do wonders for our morale (the fans) and for the morale of the players. It will give the whole club a lift and give us a better chance in other competitions.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Gunflash » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:00 am

It's great to be in the final and have the chance to win a trophy. That should galvanise the squad. Bendtner's goal was terrific. It was Bergkamp-esque.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 am

UFGN wrote:Well whoopy f***ing do.

I would get all excited about a 'trip to wembley' but for that i am not eight, I am not a Spud or a Newcastle fan, and most importantly i have an ounce of self respect.

i,m 47 and i,m excited about going to wembley
i want to win everything
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Artemis8 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:12 am

UFGN surely we need to walk before we can run. Granted its not the most glorious of trophies but its a stepping stone to bigger and better things. To say the cc mean less than nothing is just idiotic. Sometimes its the smallest of gestures, the little things that mean alot. I think your going to have to stop this anti Wenger sentiment. He and all of our players are going to bring your ill founded views crashing down to earth, and make you and your opinions look very silly indeed

don't take the word idiotic to personally but how can any achievement mean less than nothing. Have a little faith ffs, Isnt that what being a supporter is all about. :rolleyes:
Artemis8

Postby ProudGooner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:42 am

By the way two assists for Arshavin.

Still no where near his best. He is still struggling but I could see signs of improvement. He was much better today.

Just needs us to encourage him.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Leody » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 am

I am the great Cornholio!!! I need TP for my bunghole!!!

This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:34 am

Youngie wrote:UFGN surely we need to walk before we can run. Granted its not the most glorious of trophies but its a stepping stone to bigger and better things. To say the cc mean less than nothing is just idiotic. Sometimes its the smallest of gestures, the little things that mean alot. I think your going to have to stop this anti Wenger sentiment. He and all of our players are going to bring your ill founded views crashing down to earth, and make you and your opinions look very silly indeed

don't take the word idiotic to personally but how can any achievement mean less than nothing. Have a little faith ffs, Isnt that what being a supporter is all about. :rolleyes:

It means less than nothing. The reason for that is this: its always been the least important of the trophies but pre wenger it was just that, a trophy but not a great one. Wenger took it a step further. He openly said for over a decade he effectively didnt give a toss about it. That he would use it for blooding new players and that was all. I have no argument with that, he was right, we had bigger fish to fry and it offered competitive football to young players. So Wenger, more than any other individual, is personally responsable for the CC becoming even more worthless then it orininally was. Then this season, realising he had to win a trophy and with the penny finally dropping that he was unlikely to win the league or the CL, he goes all out for the CC. Its a humiliating admission of failure. So unless it is backed up by the FA, CL or PL in the same season, it will mean less than nothing.

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2010-11