Arsenal vs Wigan Athletic | Premiership 22/1/11

Re: Arsenal vs Wigan Athletic | Premiership 22/1/11

Postby ProudGooner » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Anyway, RVP was amazing today but I just worry and you know why.

If this guy can stay fit for the rest of the season we will for sure win some thing this year.

He really is top, top class. Just needs to stay fit.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:25 pm

ProudGooner wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:Btw, i don't want to sound like a broken record but Arshavin lost the ball more in 10 minutes than the entire team did in 90...

Just what is up with him? And don't give that old fan chestnut because he hasn't been booed and he got a great reception today...

Time to move on?...

What is up with him is what I told and warned all of you guys about.

His confidence is gone. Thats what normally happens when people are constantly on your back even though you are scoring and producing assists.

Such as the wigan game where he scored and made an assist yet everyone was talking about him as he was the worse player on the pitch.

The way he is playing right now, he wouldnt even make it into a championship. He needs to be encouraged by the fans and the players that are around him. When one of your team mates is having a bad run of form that is the time when the rest need to make sure he comes through it.

He got a great reception today though, i fully expected him to come on and get a goal and generally be a pest.

He was awful, can't blame that on fatigue...

I don't believe its the fans fault, i believe this run of form has been a long time coming personally, i don't think he is happy to be here, even if the fans are behind him 100%.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ProudGooner » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Leody wrote:Indeed, PG. Joe Hart was ridiculous against us and single-handedly kept City in that game.

The others, we've "tested" but not truly challenged to make great saves. If I recall correctly though, Gomes did make a very nice save right at the end of the match. But still wasn't anywhere near the level of Joe Hart for the full 90.

Funny how nobody is making a single mention of how very poorly El Habsi attempted to deal with RVP's goal. He did everything the exact opposite of what a keeper should do when faced with that. He came out, went to ground laying back away from the ball, turned his shoulders and kept his arms in at his chest to protect his face. Not exactly something you'd expect from a keeper having a "great" game.

Exactly (with reference to your last paragraph especially).

If he had done what every other keeper would have in that situation RVP's shot (which was all about power) would have hit the keeper. It was almost as if he was trying to get out of the way. Also for the second goal, that is the kind of shot I would have expected a keeper that is having a blinder to save. It was actually not so far away from it but it was a save you would expect a top class keeper to save but you wouldnt blame a keeper if he didnt save it.

And as for the third he really shouldnt have got beaten from that angle. If it was almunia we all would have been saying "here we go again, same old shittty almunia".

I actually think Al Habsi is a good keeper. I have been impressed with him in previous games but today he didnt do anything special or out of the ordinary to be honest.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ProudGooner » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:34 pm

GunnGunn wrote:
ProudGooner wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:Btw, i don't want to sound like a broken record but Arshavin lost the ball more in 10 minutes than the entire team did in 90...

Just what is up with him? And don't give that old fan chestnut because he hasn't been booed and he got a great reception today...

Time to move on?...

His confidence is gone. Thats what normally happens when people are constantly on your back even though you are scoring and producing assists.

Such as the wigan game where he scored and made an assist yet everyone was talking about him as he was the worse player on the pitch.

The way he is playing right now, he wouldnt even make it into a championship. He needs to be encouraged by the fans and the players that are around him. When one of your team mates is having a bad run of form that is the time when the rest need to make sure he comes through it.

He got a great reception today though, i fully expected him to come on and get a goal and generally be a pest.

I don't believe its the fans fault, i believe this run of form has been a long time coming personally, i don't think he is happy to be here, even if the fans are behind him 100%.

I think he is out of form, secondly I think his confidence is really low, as low as I have seen it and that is down to three things. Bad form, being dropped from the team to the bench and thirdly down to fans getting on his back. I was happy that today they didnt give him a rough deal and actually encouraged him.

We need to do that, he will come good again.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:18 am

ProudGooner wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:
ProudGooner wrote:

Time to move on?...

I think he is out of form, secondly I think his confidence is really low, as low as I have seen it and that is down to three things. Bad form, being dropped from the team to the bench and thirdly down to fans getting on his back. I was happy that today they didnt give him a rough deal and actually encouraged him.

We need to do that, he will come good again.

you are like a dog with a bone with this 1but let me stress there are the kind of mutterings that have happened over the arsenal about various players for the 40 years i have been going but there is no concerted hostility towards arshavin
he still has an awful amount of goodwill towards him and has never been booed
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:37 am

Good performance, our form is gradually improving.
Theo and Jack were great today and Cesc is back to his best. It's quite lucky that some of our key players i.e. Cesc, RVP and Theo got injured when they did because they're returning to form at the most crucial part of the season.

As for the Arshavin discussion, people keep talking about the strength of our bench lately but with him on it it's like the squad is a man down.
Players on better form could take his place on the bench.

I was pleased to see Nasri, RVP and Cesc come off as well because they'll be fresher for the key games coming up.
As AW said we have 9 games in January which is a club record.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 am

I thought Walcott had a mare today as i said in the other thread.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:45 am

See that thread....
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:14 am

GunnGunn wrote:I thought Walcott had a mare today as i said in the other thread.

Mare may be a bit harsh in my opinion. He wasn't great, he wasn't horrible. He had a few good runs, didn't give away the ball a terrible amount... but did have a couple questionable decision, and especially the one on one that he tried to lay off.

I'd give him a 5.5 or 6.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2010-11