Arsenal Vs Newcastle | Premiership 07/11/10

Re: Arsenal Vs Newcastle | Premiership 07/11/10

Postby mg86 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:42 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:To be fair starman the mentality of our squad was different then and our standard of opposition is higher now. I agree with your sentiment that no loss can doom you by itself but the past can't always ease the present when all things are considered.

The loss itself doesn't worry me, despite the performance, but it is worrying that we lost at home again and I agree with the sentiment being made that the fans could do more to help prevent this.

It is in fact two newly promoted teams who have beaten us at home. This either means A. our disrespect for the opposition is troubling, or B. our home crowd is troubling. Either way, there is something wrong :think:
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:50 am

Ok...

Well I'm sorry I wasn't posting yesterday. My brother was 15min late getting over here to watch the match, so I was watching it on delay on the DVR and didn't want to hop on here an see something. Then after the result... I really didn't want to post anything. I read, but just thought it best to not go over the top with some silly comment.

(and I have CoD: Black Ops, so I just played that the rest of the day)

Overall, my thoughts are just... wow, disappointing. Looked impotent going forward yesterday.

But then my CLEVELAND BROWNS saved my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perrenial non-contenders, playing the New England Patriots at home and delivered a total BEATDOWN. 34-14, with a rookie QB making just his second start ever, and he's beaten the New Orleans Saints (defend champs) and New England Patriots (best record this year and best over last 11yr). Man what a roller coaster of emotions for me yesterday.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:46 am

starmandb wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:I still think you're missing the point a bit here.
As Myrmedus has already alluded to, it's not about the result.
The result is disappointing but it's far outweighed by the attitude and the performance.
The performance has great significance and symbolises why this team will struggle to pick up silverware this season.
The mentality is wrong.

If we'd lost this game 1-0 after creating 30 chances and battering Newcastle who just got a lucky penalty then few on here would be moaning.
We lost it because we played SO poorly and no-one did anything about it, not the players, not the manager and not the fans.
The first half was so lifeless it was unreal, we didn't want the points badly enough for some reason.
I don't know if was a case of mid-week hangover but there's no excuse for that display imo.

If Newcastle hadn't scored and it had ended 0-0 I would be JUST as worried as I am now I assure you.

i,m sorry but i take issue with someone who sat on the internet while the game was on having a pop at the fans.
its understandable if a little galling when it comes from far flung corners of the globe but when it comes fronm someone in the home counties it begs the question why was you not there making a difference yourself.it fucks me off when i,m in there when fans moan and groan but i,m in there doing my bit come and do yours

Mate, sometimes you're a bit too high and mighty for your own good.
Yes in theory, you're correct. The more people that are at the Emirates, the louder it will be but in practice it makes no difference.
I was at the ground for all of last season whether it was packed or not and the atmosphere rarely changed.
Me and my friends tried to start chants and songs and it didn't trigger anything off. It's just a quiet place and there's f**k all you can do about it.
Some parts of the stadium are nearly always in good voice but other parts are like a library and you can't change that whether you're at home or in the ground.

You need to accept reality. Our home fans are not as loud as other fans. Fact.
Nothing wrong with saying that. Yes it's a criticism but I'm afraid it's true.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:38 am

Choose your MOTM here:
http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/32935 ... d?tab=motm

Can't believe people actually voted for Cesc! :shock:

Squillaci for me.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:58 am

Does anyone think that the lack of form/desire could in anyway be linked to the recent revelations about Wenger's bit on the side?

For a man that has always taken the moral high ground, in the media, with his players, in practically every aspect of his life, getting caught out with that bird might have been a bit of a shock for some of the players that have a closer bond with him.

Fab's performance yesterday was particularly concerning, he had a touch of the Arshavins yesterday that i dont think ive ever seen from Cappy.

Good to see RvP back again though. Missed the last half hour though, did he come through unscathed or clutching something as is par for the course?
Just a theory.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:16 am

Zedie wrote:Does anyone think that the lack of form/desire could in anyway be linked to the recent revelations about Wenger's bit on the side?

For a man that has always taken the moral high ground, in the media, with his players, in practically every aspect of his life, getting caught out with that bird might have been a bit of a shock for some of the players that have a closer bond with him.

Naaaah I think that's a bit of a long shot myself.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:58 am

Inchpractice wrote:Choose your MOTM here:

Squillaci for me.

yeh mate squilacci aswel for me
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Dejan wrote:

Squillaci for me.

cesc tried but was awful!

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Popey wrote:
Dejan wrote:

Squillaci for me.

That poll clearly shows how much people play favorites... I mean 10% for Arshavin for crying out loud :dizzy:
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Leody wrote:
Popey wrote:
Dejan wrote:

Squillaci for me.

That poll clearly shows how much people play favorites... I mean 10% for Arshavin for crying out loud :dizzy:

Arshavin was better then in his last 5 matches.. but still not good enough.
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:45 pm

arshavin was one of the best players yesterday...

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Popey wrote:arshavin was one of the best players yesterday...

I disagree. You bring a man on for 35 min or whatever it was, he's not winning man of the match from me without producing something. He didn't. He turned the ball over a handful of times, and once when running at their defense with RVP or Bendy I cant remember who on his left and Walcott out wide on his right, he stumbles around on the ball waits and waits and then taps it right to the defender... real chance to get something and he wasted it without even producing a shot from somebody. The least he could have done was just played the easy pass out wide to Walcott so we could have gotten a ball into the box from that.

He was no better than Nasri had been for the previous 50+ min.

For me it has to be one of the back four. That was probably one of, if not the best overall performance we've seen from them as a unit this season. Other than the FK goal, Newcastle never really looked like much of anything. And none of the defenders were assigned to mark Carrol on the goal.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:10 pm

SELL RVP, BUY CARROL! :sneaky2:
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:I still think you're missing the point a bit here.
As Myrmedus has already alluded to, it's not about the result.
The result is disappointing but it's far outweighed by the attitude and the performance.
The performance has great significance and symbolises why this team will struggle to pick up silverware this season.
The mentality is wrong.

If we'd lost this game 1-0 after creating 30 chances and battering Newcastle who just got a lucky penalty then few on here would be moaning.
We lost it because we played SO poorly and no-one did anything about it, not the players, not the manager and not the fans.
The first half was so lifeless it was unreal, we didn't want the points badly enough for some reason.
I don't know if was a case of mid-week hangover but there's no excuse for that display imo.

If Newcastle hadn't scored and it had ended 0-0 I would be JUST as worried as I am now I assure you.

i,m sorry but i take issue with someone who sat on the internet while the game was on having a pop at the fans.
its understandable if a little galling when it comes from far flung corners of the globe but when it comes fronm someone in the home counties it begs the question why was you not there making a difference yourself.it fucks me off when i,m in there when fans moan and groan but i,m in there doing my bit come and do yours

Mate, sometimes you're a bit too high and mighty for your own good.
Yes in theory, you're correct. The more people that are at the Emirates, the louder it will be but in practice it makes no difference.
I was at the ground for all of last season whether it was packed or not and the atmosphere rarely changed.
Me and my friends tried to start chants and songs and it didn't trigger anything off. It's just a quiet place and there's f**k all you can do about it.
Some parts of the stadium are nearly always in good voice but other parts are like a library and you can't change that whether you're at home or in the ground.

You need to accept reality. Our home fans are not as loud as other fans. Fact.
Nothing wrong with saying that. Yes it's a criticism but I'm afraid it's true.

on reflection it does sound high handed. i.m sorry i just find it hard to accept blame for such a tepid display when i am up for it every game regardless of whats at stake.
i still believe that when the emirates rocks it knocks highbury into a cocked hat and its up to us gobby folk to make it home.
there are still plenty of old school gooners in there doing there bit to show how a football ground should be.
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby SE13 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:46 pm

starmandb wrote:there are still plenty of old school gooners in there doing there bit to show how a football ground should be.

And the rest of the 30,000+ of us from that era at Highbury?

Nope, we're just priced out of the market to ensure that we don't have fun at the new concrete bowl. It wouldn't do to enjoy yourself at Ashburton Grove.... 60,000 actually enjoying themselves at the expense of the chief of all things crap at Arsenal these days ain't going to happen. Quite what she does to have so much pull is beyond me, but she makes Mary Whitehouse look like a timid little mouse.

My Arsenal is my Arsenal, not the crap being presented to me these days, if I wanted that, I'd have a season ticket at lawn bowls.

Yes, I'll support Arsenal through thick and thin, and you're old enough to remember when it was utterly dire, but I ain't bothering with the lifeless bowl until they actually sit up and take notice, and do something about it.

As for the Newcastle game, I could fart louder than the noise the crowd were making, it was utterly embarrassing, but it's been like that since the day they ripped the terraces down at Highbury.

I've said it time and again, Arsenal and the other big clubs want to make a move to revoke the all seaters, get the terraces back, get the fans back and get the atmosphere back. Then we can have the fans inspiring the team, rather than the team inspiring the fans for a whopping two minutes of "oo are ya"

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2010-11