Arsenal Vs Newcastle | Premiership 07/11/10

Re: Arsenal Vs Newcastle | Premiership 07/11/10

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:25 pm

SE13 wrote:
starmandb wrote:there are still plenty of old school gooners in there doing there bit to show how a football ground should be.

And the rest of the 30,000+ of us from that era at Highbury?

Nope, we're just priced out of the market to ensure that we don't have fun at the new concrete bowl. It wouldn't do to enjoy yourself at Ashburton Grove.... 60,000 actually enjoying themselves at the expense of the chief of all things crap at Arsenal these days ain't going to happen. Quite what she does to have so much pull is beyond me, but she makes Mary Whitehouse look like a timid little mouse.

My Arsenal is my Arsenal, not the crap being presented to me these days, if I wanted that, I'd have a season ticket at lawn bowls.

Yes, I'll support Arsenal through thick and thin, and you're old enough to remember when it was utterly dire, but I ain't bothering with the lifeless bowl until they actually sit up and take notice, and do something about it.

As for the Newcastle game, I could fart louder than the noise the crowd were making, it was utterly embarrassing, but it's been like that since the day they ripped the terraces down at Highbury.

I've said it time and again, Arsenal and the other big clubs want to make a move to revoke the all seaters, get the terraces back, get the fans back and get the atmosphere back. Then we can have the fans inspiring the team, rather than the team inspiring the fans for a whopping two minutes of "oo are ya"

What I don't understand about all that though, is last season at the Spuds game, the Emirates was absolutely f***ing electric!
Is that because our fans just turn it on for the big games or is it because the 'real' fans that can't afford season tickets tend to beg, borrow or steal just so that they can get to the Spuds/Manure games?

If we can rock the place for one game why not the rest?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:44 pm

It was the same during the first 10 minutes or so against ManUre in the CL. I don't think I've ever heard the Emirates that loud before... it was short lived though. One little Gibbs error and a touch of retarded Almunia between the sticks and everyone's heads dropped. Still, during the opening exchanges, it was like nothing I had heard before (at the Emirates).

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:05 pm

To be fair it isn't just our club, it is football in general, even in the lower leagues at places like Plymouth. They have being trying to change the atmosphere at football matches over the years to more of a family atmosphere and it has totally ruined it IMO.

I remember in the mid-late 90s going to see Plymouth play away at Forest in the FA Cup when Forest were still in the Premiership. As our coach pulled up a copper got on and listed things we weren't allowed to do in the stadium, including 'no swearing', 'no chanting'... you can imagine the response we gave him!

There is nowhere that I am aware of in England that you can go to and enjoy the atmosphere that there used to be on the terraces. Having said that travelling with away fans seems to have some of it. It was a weird feeling when we played Plymouth in the FA Cup - watching Plymouth fans outsinging Arsenal fans at the Emirates really did leave me feeling a bit weird about stuff (yes I was in the Arsenal end) - at the time Plymouth had the record for the biggest ever away support at the Emirates stadium - not sure if that still stands.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Est83 wrote:It was the same during the first 10 minutes or so against ManUre in the CL. I don't think I've ever heard the Emirates that loud before... it was short lived though. One little Gibbs error and a touch of retarded Almunia between the sticks and everyone's heads dropped. Still, during the opening exchanges, it was like nothing I had heard before (at the Emirates).

i could.nt get a ticket for that night.its the only champions league game i,ve missed at the emirates.
i was fuming to see the fans streaming out. i beleive thats when you need your support the most.
heads going down on or off the pitch is inexcusable.
if you can,t win the tie you win on the night or you win the 2nd half.
never give up.
funny how all the silver members who swerve a bolton cream there pants over a barca and man utd
lost my box office connection and ended up a lowly red member till getting my season ticket last year.
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby SE13 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:44 pm

starmandb wrote:
Est83 wrote:It was the same during the first 10 minutes or so against ManUre in the CL. I don't think I've ever heard the Emirates that loud before... it was short lived though. One little Gibbs error and a touch of retarded Almunia between the sticks and everyone's heads dropped. Still, during the opening exchanges, it was like nothing I had heard before (at the Emirates).

i could.nt get a ticket for that night.its the only champions league game i,ve missed at the emirates.
i was fuming to see the fans streaming out. i beleive thats when you need your support the most.
never give up.
funny how all the silver members who swerve a bolton cream there pants over a barca and man utd
lost my box office connection and ended up a lowly red member till getting my season ticket last year.

And there backs my point exactly.....

Arsenal is just a handful of old school, and JCL's who have single handedly wrecked football as it was.

The lifeless bowl is exactly that because of the above.

Sad, but true.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby starmandb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:To be fair it isn't just our club, it is football in general, even in the lower leagues at places like Plymouth. They have being trying to change the atmosphere at football matches over the years to more of a family atmosphere and it has totally ruined it IMO.

I remember in the mid-late 90s going to see Plymouth play away at Forest in the FA Cup when Forest were still in the Premiership. As our coach pulled up a copper got on and listed things we weren't allowed to do in the stadium, including 'no swearing', 'no chanting'... you can imagine the response we gave him!

There is nowhere that I am aware of in England that you can go to and enjoy the atmosphere that there used to be on the terraces. Having said that travelling with away fans seems to have some of it. It was a weird feeling when we played Plymouth in the FA Cup - watching Plymouth fans outsinging Arsenal fans at the Emirates really did leave me feeling a bit weird about stuff (yes I was in the Arsenal end) - at the time Plymouth had the record for the biggest ever away support at the Emirates stadium - not sure if that still stands.

yes mate,9,000 you have to give more for the fa cup.it did make me laugh that day everyone was moaning about going 4 years without a trophy but at a game where 1 of those pots was on offer at the end of it people were sitting there like they were at a garden party
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:16 pm

SE13 wrote:
starmandb wrote:

never give up.

And there backs my point exactly.....

Arsenal is just a handful of old school, and JCL's who have single handedly wrecked football as it was.

The lifeless bowl is exactly that because of the above.

Sad, but true.

i do agree with you to a certain degree mate but i refuse to give my arsenal up.
financialy it is a killer having to pull up so much money for a season ticket every year and i still have last years on my credit card but it gives me as much pleasure as it ever did.
my grandad got passed over for a ticket for the west ham cup final despite being a season ticket holder for 10 years.
i stood at wembley in front of some japanese fans with a west ham flag.
clubs have always been shit as far as the big games are concerned.
they are happy to take your money when theres 17,000 watching birmingham but when it came to a day in the sun they would rather give them to flashman
starmandb

Postby Danny-K- » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Yep, I was at that game and it was the best atmosphere out of any game before or since. Pity it was so short lived.

I would, however, like to have my say about the recent atmosphere. The last few pages of posts have been about the FANS not 'doing their bit'..... what a load of tosh. The PLAYERS are there to win over the fans, not the other way around. Players come and go and feign (yes, pretend) loyalty whilst receiving handsome reward (money/cars/wags/whatever...) but the fans are always there, come rain or shine. If your team isnt playing well, a fan can go two ways - criticise or back them. It is up to the FAN which way he goes.

I cannot believe people on this forum are blaming the FANS for recent crap Arsenal performances....!!!!!!!!!!!! The PLAYERS need to stand up, take responsibility & remember that they are playing for one of the best clubs in the world. Appreciate it, respect it & show both the manager & the FANS what you can really do. Without FANS, there wouldn't be a club...

Oh, and another thing, would anyone be complaining so much about the atmosphere if Arsenal had won.....????

And yes, I pay through the nose for both my & my wife's season ticket and we have to do without a lot of other things to make this possible. I feel so annoyed when we devote so much time/money/effort into watching the Arsenal & then being blamed for not 'inspiring' a team who should bloody well not need any motivation other than the priviledge in wearing the shirt...!!!!!

We didn't think he would play on Sunday because he was suspended - that makes me think he has all the qualities to join Arsenal!
Arsene Wenger
Danny-K-
Patrick Vieira

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2010-11