'Being a relative unknown helped me adapt'

'Being a relative unknown helped me adapt'

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:32 am

By Chris Harris

Sebastien Squillaci believes his relative anonymity has made it easier for him to settle in English football.

The French defender was an established international and a consistent performer with Sevilla in La Liga before he arrived at Arsenal in late August but he remained an unknown quantity to many Arsenal fans.

Nearly three months on, Squillaci has already captained the Gunners and only three players - Alex Song, Gael Clichy and Marouane Chamakh - have started more games for the Club this season.

The 30-year-old put in another solid shift in Arsenal's 2-1 win at Everton on Sunday and he believes that his low-key introduction to the Premier League - and the large French contingent at Emirates Stadium - have helped him acclimatise.

"Yes, I think it helped [that I was a relative unknown]," Squillaci told Arsenal TV Online in an exclusive ‘Spotlight' interview.

"I knew a lot of the players and there are a lot of Frenchmen here, which always makes it easier to adapt. There are players here who I have played with for France and also against in the French league and that makes coming here not so hard.

"It's always better coming to a club where you know the players, it helps you if there are any problems and also helps on and off the pitch too.

"Adapting-wise, I knew that it [English football] would be physical with some good sides, playing good football. The strikers are big and strong and it is a great contrast with Spain where the strikers are faster and not so strong. But it's not going too badly. I'm stepping up to the challenge and it's getting easier."

The common consensus last summer was that Thomas Vermaelen would emerge as Arsenal's senior defender but the Belgian's ongoing Achilles trouble has allowed Squillaci, fellow new boy Laurent Koscielny and Johan Djourou to stake their claims.

Squillaci has helped steady the ship in defence but he wants to see Vermaelen return as soon as possible.

"Thomas Vermaelen got injured and still is injured and that's a shame for us because we need players like him and that brings confidence to the team," he said. "But there is competition at any big club and you also need all your players as there are injuries, lots of games every three days and so you need a good group of players to make up for this and to be able to cope.

"I hope that everyone gets fit, Thomas and everyone else so that we all get our chance and we'll be able to catch up in the league."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -me-adapt-

Really love this guys honesty and attitude, its a shame that people have misinterpreted his quiet start as a bad thing, because IMO he has slotted in seamlessly and has been our best and most consistent defender.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: 'Being a relative unknown helped me adapt'

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:38 am

Can't understand all the negativity towards Skillerz.
He's been rock solid 90% of the time.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:32 pm

really good buy by wenger. I was sceptic but the guy really played well for us so far.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Goose » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:23 pm

He has made a few mistakes but has gone about his work unnoticed which is good for a CB

Plus it is harder for him playing against players he has had no experience of, so he doesn't know their strengths or the way they play, it's a steep learning curve for him

Compared to last season at this stage we have more points and have conceded less goals, so something is going right.

Especially when you consider that at this time last season our most senior defender was Silvestre

We now have decent depth at CB, even with TV5 out we are better off than Chelsea and Djourou is playing decently as well
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Forest » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:25 pm

He does seem to go unnoticed, a mate asked me how he did and i couldnt answer part from okay i think and we won so did something right.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gzagee » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:33 pm

I see him as no more than a back-up player. I would still love for AW to bring in a quality CB in January.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Goose wrote:He has made a few mistakes but has gone about his work unnoticed which is good for a CB

Plus it is harder for him playing against players he has had no experience of, so he doesn't know their strengths or the way they play, it's a steep learning curve for him

Compared to last season at this stage we have more points and have conceded less goals, so something is going right.

Especially when you consider that at this time last season our most senior defender was Silvestre

We now have decent depth at CB, even with TV5 out we are better off than Chelsea and Djourou is playing decently as well

I think that when you consider that a) it's his first ever season in the Prem and b) his CB partner seems to change every five minutes he's doing pretty well.

Under those circumstances I'll forgive him the odd mistake.
Personally I think he was MOTM against Newcastle and if he'd been marking Carroll instead of Chamakh it would've been a different story.
I thought he was outstanding that game.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Libertine » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 pm

I think he's done well since he arrived.
He's been fairly solid and gone about his work with the minimum of fuss, although he was slightly fortunate not to get sent off on Sunday.

A good back-up player who's proved a good addition to the squad.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:15 pm

He's done alright by and large and I'm sure his experience will count at some point but he has definitely been the weak link of the defence these past few games. You can't exactly blame him for it, for reasons already stated, but the fact remains.

When TV5 is back I'd still have him as first choice over Djourou and Koscielny
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby dunkdafunk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:08 pm

for any defender no news is good news. We were spoilt last year with TV gaining his feet and scoring so early in his arsenal career. Can't expect that from most CBs.

TV is still first choice, then its a matter of who isnt injured and deciding if we need experience or the speed of youth.
Either way iv been impressed with how DJ has come back in good form and how well both summer signings have done.

Another CB signing in jan would be a luxury, maybe someone who can be a future partner for DJ?
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Return to 18. Sebastien Squillaci