Re: Arsenal vs Burnley 6/3/10 chat thread

Postby Massa » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Plus he nicked an assist.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:16 pm

I gave him points for positioning, prevented me from putting his score down to 3

Okay I think 3's a bit harsh
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:39 pm

Theo is MOTM for me too, he was great today.

And I'm with Justin, Bendtner doesn't deserve even a 6 (average) for that performance. An average striker would have put one of those chances away.

Positioning be damned, that's the easy part and should be expected. That finishing today was pathetic and we're fortunate that Burnley didn't punish us for it.

We all know had we drawn 1-1 everybody would be giving Nick 2-3 ratings, so why does it change because we won based on other people's performances?
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby SE13 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:17 am

Couple of harsh marks for Bendtner I thought. Aside from the finishing, he got into great scoring opportunities yesterday, something we haven't seen at Arsenal for ages.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:23 am

You have to give Bendy points for effort I think.
Worked his socks off to create chances even though the finishing was poor.
I remember many many games when Adebarndoor couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo and he was lazy with it. At least Bendy tried.

Anyway Theo should get top marks imo, Nasri was great and Eboue was excellent again.
Silvestre was solid imo and Diaby did well when he came on.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 am

SE13 wrote:Couple of harsh marks for Bendtner I thought. Aside from the finishing, he got into great scoring opportunities yesterday, something we haven't seen at Arsenal for ages.

Now that I've actually bothered to read the ratings thread I disagree. Most people have been quite fair, and even generous in places!
From what I can see no-one has gone lower than about 5.5.
From what you said I thought people were giving him a 2 or something.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:50 am

Inchpractice wrote:
SE13 wrote:Couple of harsh marks for Bendtner I thought. Aside from the finishing, he got into great scoring opportunities yesterday, something we haven't seen at Arsenal for ages.

Now that I've actually bothered to read the ratings thread I disagree. Most people have been quite fair, and even generous in places!

Personally speaking (and although I didn't see the whole game) I thought he deserved higher than 5.5, he looked like an out and out striker yesterday, chances we haven't seen for I don't know how long, and an end to trying to walk the ball into the net.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:38 pm

SE13 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

Personally speaking (and although I didn't see the whole game) I thought he deserved higher than 5.5, he looked like an out and out striker yesterday, chances we haven't seen for I don't know how long, and an end to trying to walk the ball into the net.

I know what you mean it's nice to have an old-fashioned CF for a change. If the crosses coming into the box are decent he can be dangerous as he showed in the Stoke and Denmark games.
I think he deserves more than 5.5 as well but I thought he'd get murdered in the ratings thread and so far he hasn't.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:14 am

Sky gave Bendy a 4 and readers a 4.4

I probably wouldn't have gone that low, but more like a 5. Not good enough really. Yes he worked hard and yes he got in some good areas, but in my opinion it doesn't matter if you don't do anything once you get there. We might as well have booted the ball from midfield out for the corner.

I know what you guys are saying and it is a VERY encouraging sign that we are getting somebody to play like Bendy did. And chances are given another opportunity he puts away at least 2 or 3 of those chances. But on the day I would rate him no higher than a 5, because to me that performance wasn't even average for the EPL. Could have signed up a football conference player that is fast, athletic and reads the game well, but plays that low because he can't control the ball or finish... what difference does that make to us? None...

Promising performance for the future, disappointing performance for the day though.

Work rate / attacking pressure - 9 or 10, finishing - 1 or 2, performance overall - 5 at best
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby mg86 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:27 am

I'm definitely not going to hold any grudges against Bendy after this one game, but missing two sitters is pretty dang bad, imagine if that were vs. say Porto.

Theo for man of the match. Man was he on form this game. Brilliant crosses into the box and a very nice kick in off his left foot. Very excited to see him play again soon.

Nasri continues to impress as well. That flick to Cesc was sublime. Would like to see the starting lineup below for Porto. Theo def deserves another game after Burnley.

----------Song
----Diaby-----Nasri(Cesc)
Walcott-Bendy-Arshavin
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Return to Player of the Season 2009-10