Quarter-Finals

Qualification and finally the tournament itself in Poland and Ukraine. All talk about it in here including live match chat.

Re: Quarter-Finals

Postby Leody » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Well, both teams were found lacking in front of goal, but nobody can argue that Italy wasn't the better side. The better team progressed in the end. Didn't see either of them getting by Germany anyhow, with the shorter time off and Germany being so close to home... going to be a tough task for Italy the way Germany has been playing.

Pirlo really has been one of the stars of the tournament so far. That man is amazing for a player of any age, let alone 33.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Massa wrote:England aren't very good and the only way we could get results is by playing negatively so Hodgson got that spot on and it nearly got us into the Semis

True, but if you look at the individual's we have upfront and attacking midfield for their clubs, there's no doubt their involved in some pretty attacking attractive football and can get it done in the PL.

It's strange that when their thrown together, it's like they forget how to play football. Ashley young has been particularly shite this tourney and rooneys much trumpeted return has almost see us regress quality wise.
There was literally no excuse for the level of play England showed today.

I wouldn't mind if it were the harder stuff, but regularly misplacing 5 yard passes was bollocks.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:08 pm

Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:England aren't very good and the only way we could get results is by playing negatively so Hodgson got that spot on and it nearly got us into the Semis

True, but if you look at the individual's we have upfront and attacking midfield for their clubs, there's no doubt their involved in some pretty attacking attractive football and can get it done in the PL.

It's strange that when their thrown together, it's like they forget how to play football.

The attacking attractive football is mostly down to the players from other countries you'd have to say. Only technical Englishmen are Wilshere & Scholes IMO
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Bungle678 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Boxer wrote:Thought we was unlucky tbh.

Hart, Terry and Carrol (when he came on) where our best today IMO. I think Terry needs that armband back, Gerrard just aint got the minerals. Welbeck done well i thought along with Parker, why does he get knackered so quick though?
Young was awfull all game, how many times does one need to give the ball away. Theo was as usefull as a chocolate tea-pot. And Rooney STILL owes England a massive performance.

Im now manuel,,,as i have them in the works sweepstake :biggrin: :money: .

Viva Espania :arsenal3:

But for Pirlo and well pretty much all of Spain, Gerrard has been the best midfielder in the tournament. His perormances have improved as a result of having the added responsibility of the captaincy, this is a man who dragged Liverpool back into a Champions League final with a true captains performance. JT has lost the dressing room, I very much doubt any player would trust him beyond his role as a CB.

The reason Gerrard and Parker get so tired is a lack of ball retention throughout the side and while most sides deploy 3 CMs, in fact Italy played 4, so they were covering the role of 1 extra man in their position between them with no help from Young and Milner doing nothing more than his own job adequately.

We were gutsy but fell short of the quality required in the latter stages. Wellbeck ran his heat out in every game though he still has an awful lot to work on, Glen Johnson redeemed himself today for a poor group stage but his place will surely be taken by the more capable Kyle Walker and then we have the eventual return of Wilshere to midfield which may encourage us to make 5 yard passes without feeling guilty

One other thing, I was geuinely shocked Cashley missed his pen, spotkicks have been somewhat of a hidden talent of his.

Oh well GO TEAM GB!!!
Bungle678
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Boxer wrote:Thought we was unlucky tbh.

Hart, Terry and Carrol (when he came on) where our best today IMO. I think Terry needs that armband back, Gerrard just aint got the minerals. Welbeck done well i thought along with Parker, why does he get knackered so quick though?
Young was awfull all game, how many times does one need to give the ball away. Theo was as usefull as a chocolate tea-pot. And Rooney STILL owes England a massive performance.

Im now manuel,,,as i have them in the works sweepstake :biggrin: :money: .

Viva Espania :arsenal3:

You must of watched a different game if you didn't see what Gerrard did and what Lescott did to Balotelli. Mario would of had about 5 against another team.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:21 am

Massa wrote:
Zedie wrote:

It's strange that when their thrown together, it's like they forget how to play football.

The attacking attractive football is mostly down to the players from other countries you'd have to say. Only technical Englishmen are Wilshere & Scholes IMO

I think that's more myth than fact though.

We've all seen

Rooney start continue and finish intricate passing moves for manure
Young dribble past players effortlessly
Gerrard hit superb long and short passes, smash goals in and dribble through players easily
Even Milner, although the more orthodox of those has had some massive games from te centre but mostly on the flanks. That guy was missing for all 4 games...

Etc but there was hardly any of that from them during the tourney. Ok Rooney didn't play 2 of the games but he also played 210 minutes and did fuckall apart from one very fortunate point blank header. The rest was poop.

Why can't they do it for England?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:51 am

i was most dissapointed in Gerrard today,the england midfield were crap they just didnt hold the ball
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:26 am

Massa wrote:The attacking attractive football is mostly down to the players from other countries you'd have to say. Only technical Englishmen are Wilshere & Scholes IMO

Definitely agree with this, think I've said something similar myself, although I would put Rooney in that little list on a good day.

However, although intricate build-up play might be an issue as there are little to no technically gifted English players, the bare basics of keeping the ball (the stuff that my five-a-side team can do!) should be second nature to any professional. If the Ukranian national team can string 10 passes together, so can 11 players from the Prem.

On the game:
We have a good defence and a strong, positionally aware, combatitive midfiled in Parker and Gerrard... I can't help but think better wingers would have opened up a whole new dimension to our game.

ManUre beat us on numerous occasions over the years as the poorer of the two footballing teams. They beat us with two solid rows of four, a strong defence, and devastating counter-attacking wing play! Why couldn't we do the same?

We had enough in our defence and the deeper Gerrard and Parker to do a good defensive job, but you can't win games if you're camped in your own half... better wing-play would have given us an attacking threat, relieved the defence, stretched the game (the way England like it... when there's no cohesion in the game and everything's chaotic), and gave us the slight possibility to actually being able to take the game to an oponent.

Woy should have chosen wingers who were forward thinking, pacey and confident. Milner and Young were f**king awful everytime they played... and I don't want to hear anything about how well Milner defended, because that's not what he's there for. Modern team defending is about pressing, so really any winger with stamina, a willingness to run back, and half-decent positional awareness can do his defensive duties. Ox and Theo should have started all day long!

I hate to say it but even Lennon would have been a massive player for us, and Adam Johnson, of course! Anyone with a brain can see how overrated Ashley Young is, how Milner isn't even a winger, and how Downing should probably be playing Championship football. England's four best wingers are Ox, Theo, Johnson and Lennon... all young, fearless, attacking and pacey.

Can we hope for anything more in Woy's next tournament incharge? We know his tactics. We know he prefers to remain hard to be through disciplined team play rather than go at games. Did he just make poor player choices on the wings and would actually have prefered our wingers to play as reliable outlets and actually create something? Or did he indeed intend to bore the f**k out of everyone and play conservative wingers that offered more in defence than attack?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:15 am

glad two of the biggest c**** in your team missed their penalties
hopefully the English crowds get on their backs during next season
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Trina » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:58 am

Why would they though? As much as I hate Cole and thought his penalty was just shocking, he is the best left back England has.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:39 am

Trina wrote:Why would they though? As much as I hate Cole and thought his penalty was just shocking, he is the best left back England has.

they've booed their own team before
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 am

To be honest, I don't remember players getting turned on in games for missing a penalty (in England). It's happened for other things like Beckhams red but I can't remember fans getting on and blaming players for penalty misses during games.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:47 am

always a first time
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 am

Young and Cole always get shit from opposition fans anyway so it would make no difference. Wouldn't even knew it happened.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:24 am

By the way, it feels good to go out of a tournament at our own expense rather than a game changing decision where you wonder what the out come could of been.

Shit it was on penalties again but the Italians deserved it.

I think Milner should of stayed on and Young go off. As soon as Milner went off our passing game seemed to stop and it seemed more like long ball time and they came straight back at us.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Euro 2012