Quarter-Finals

Qualification and finally the tournament itself in Poland and Ukraine. All talk about it in here including live match chat.

Re: Quarter-Finals

Postby TheLittleMozart » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 am

Aye, I thought it was very strange when Milner went off.

Young was basically none existant and everything was going down the right side for England. Also blasting his penalty was just stupid.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 am

England played crap in the 2nd half. I thought it would be a matter of time B4 Italy scored. When they got to pens i thought, Yeah England will do it. The 2 most annoying players missed of course, Young has been woeful and Cole is just a .... I am still cheesed off because i wanted Ox to feature.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Hart, G Johnson, Lescott, Cole, Parker and Gerrard all enchanced their reps during these finals.
Young has been a disaster.
Milner has done a job playing as a defensive winger. If anyone expected him to be the creative spark then you'd've been sorely disappointed.
I'd've benched Rooney and had him come off the bench. I know he scored against Ukraine but I think his inclusion upset the flow of the team.
Adam Johnson should have been there, as I said prior to the euros. But I think the fact he's at Citeh will continue to hamper his England chances. He just doesn't get enough game time and is too talented to be a reserve.

But all-in-all Woy did the best with what he had. He must've noticed in the 2 friendlies England are incapable of stringing 5 passes together so he decided to be obdurate and make them difficult to beat. It's a sound basis on which to progress upon. Now he can see who's capable to holding and passing a ball using the upcoming friendlies and harness a squad for the 2014WC qualifiers.
He's actually shown he's tactically adept but he thought an unfit Rooney would be their jewel in the box.
There are reasons to be cheerful for all Engerland supporters.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Out of the squad that played nearly everybody was either good or acceptable. Apart from Young and Milner. But the team got it all wrong v Italy. Apart from the luckily kept, clean sheet. Really it is a blessing they lost last night because Germany would have smashed England.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:17 pm

gzagee wrote:Milner has done a job playing as a defensive winger. If anyone expected him to be the creative spark then you'd've been sorely disappointed.

Some people just don't have a clue do they mate. He did what he was supposed to. If he went up field more and got in to more attacking position, he'd not be doing his job!

It's like people asking why Lescott wasn't attacking more.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby pawiel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm

i think QF was your maximum nothing less nothing more, my biggest surprise was young in starting 11 he played shit in group stages and his poor performance culminated in the penalty shoot out, first 30 minutes you played well then you started chase the ball and we all know its hard to play without ball. 2nd half you wasnt good enough and italians deserved it.
pawiel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Est83 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:07 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
gzagee wrote:Milner has done a job playing as a defensive winger. If anyone expected him to be the creative spark then you'd've been sorely disappointed.

Some people just don't have a clue do they mate. He did what he was supposed to. If he went up field more and got in to more attacking position, he'd not be doing his job!

It's like people asking why Lescott wasn't attacking more.

Check my post on the last page mate. If this is the case, then it's absolute retardedness from Woy to opt for a conservative, defensive winger. There was enough in our back four and deep CM's to restrict Italy to pot shots from outside the box. You can't win shit without at least some attacking intent, and having an off-form, overrated t***er like Young as our only attacking outlet is baffling!

France were expected to be our toughest challenge, the more dominant possession and creativity-wise of the teams we would face. Hodgeson knew we would be chasing shadows and have to remain disciplined in that game, yet he opted for Ox, who just happened to be our best player on the night. His attacking threat didn't come at the expense of poor defending, we kept our shape and discipline as well as we did in any game after that.

Good attacking outlets make the oponents think twice, offer a danger, relieve the defence etc etc. Young alone - even on form - was not enough! Milner simply shouldn't have been there, but I've said it anyway, he's clearly not a winger.

Everyone has defensive responsibilities no matter where they play, but to have a winger whose only responsibilities are defending is frankly a waste of a player... the thought of a defensive winger infuriates me! What f**king year is this!?! If this is the way he was told to play then fair enough, everyone should lay off the Citeh player, but with Milner out of the blame it then becomes Hodgson's decision to implement a defensive wide player that becomes the issue. The no thrills, regimented ways of Hodgson got everyone backing an England team that looked more solid and hardworking than previous England teams, it's an endearing quality... well done Woy! But the refusal to opt for more attacking threat on the wings is what kept us in our own half, and what will eventually lose him his job... because the results will dry up!

I'm just hoping he's using this tournament as a stepping stone and fully intends to add more attacking threat to the only thing he can be commended for, a solid defensive foundation. A 'stage 1 complete' if you like.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Milners job wasn't just to defend. He helped build up play with short passes, helping get the ball out of defence. As I said before, when he came off, we moved on to long ball. Nobody could settle it.

I don't think he's the long term solution but think he's getting a lot of stick for no reason. I believe he was the best option in the squad.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:25 pm

To be hoenst I think that's the natural reaction of a team that's on the back foot when a big man like Carroll is brought on. Everyone's scared, on edge, and sick of being in the own box... Carroll comes on and the long balls fly. Considering Young was kept on, I'd probably say it was a tactic that was discussed. Punt the balls up field and rely on Carroll to bring it down for the striker or more direct wingers... typical :rolleyes:

Last night Carragher mentioned that people have been saying "England need to change their ways, they need to keep possession and play with the ball" etc. etc. since he was a yough player... and nothing has changed.

Wilshere could be so important to this team. A real ball player next to a DMF, a number 10 like Rooney, with some confident wingers that retain the ball well and can take the ball past people and create rather than just rely on pace and amatuer looking step-overs to win the crowd over against poor opposition.

Parker Wilshere
Johnson Rooney Chamberlain
Welbeck

Young, attacking, fearless, and grafters (although I'm not sure if Johnson's a grafter... haven't seen him play in a while ;) )
Last edited by Est83 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:32 pm

No he isn't. That's why he doesn't play. ;)
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Özilfan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Long Ball

England's most popular pass combination last night was Hart to Carroll. This happened 18 times (Gerrard, by way of contrast, only passed to Parker 4 times). The problem with the use of the long-ball tactic was that Hart's and Carroll's pass completion rates were around 50%. Which means, 3 out of four long ball punts from Hart went straight back to the Italians. Italy then kept the ball and built up an attack before, in most circumstances, shooting wide. Then the cycle repeated itself - over and over.

It was the most foolish and pigheaded football I've ever seen: far from putting Italy under pressure, it handed Italy the ball and the opportunity to build up an attack on goal. Fortunately, England's back four played well limiting the Italians, on the most part, to half chances.

NOTE - I think Carroll is a valid plan B - but he needs to be focus of crosses, not goal kicks.

Rooney as the number 10

I don't think playing Rooney as a number 10 is a winner. He was, quite frankly, shit in that role last night. He lacked either the motivation or energy to track and press Pirlo - an instruction he was clearly given by the gaffer - and he did a poor job linking the midfield with the attack (not that the midfield gave him much to work with).

Sadly, I haven't seen any invention or spark from him in an England shirt for a long time. I don't know whether he is unfit or is in a state of permanent decline but he looked languid both on and off the ball in both games (remember when he broke free of the Ukrainian defence and Yarmolenko chased him down and took the ball off him? He looked Neil Ruddock slow).

Yorkyblue - How's Joe Hart's distribution for city? Surely he doesn't play many long balls with Aguero and Silva up top. After the 10th or so wasted long ball, I wanted to slap the guy.
Özilfan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:45 pm

It's shit mate.

It's the only part of his game he needs to improve on. He more than makes it up in other ways but if he could get the ball to our own player more often it would help!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Italy should enjoy the victory because they will be soundly beaten by Germany who will have had 2 days extra rest, didn't need to go to extra time and rested a few forwards.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby friedslice » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 am

Everyone fit England could have a strong team, shame we won't have a manager who'd utilise it and we'll be stuck with defensive, negative long ball football all WCQ campaign.

Richards-----Cahill-----Terry-------Cole

Oxlade-----Wilshere--Gerrard---Young

----------------Walcott Rooney

Think that team, with attacking tactics, would have done much better at the Euro's. Didn't matter who was fit with the tactics we used though.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:04 am

You should go in to football management.

It's crazy how you know so much more than Hodgson and all the other managers!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Euro 2012