Group D

Qualification and finally the tournament itself in Poland and Ukraine. All talk about it in here including live match chat.

Re: Group D

Postby Dejan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Massa wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Massa wrote:england will get through lol

no

:think:

hi starman
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:30 pm

I think the Dutch should take more of an English approach to their next tournament. :biggrin:

.... don't ask me what kind of approach that is though :dontknow:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:22 am

I've been having a read around the internet about John Terry's goal line clearance.

What is it with people saying we were lucky? Wouldn't we of been unlucky once again if that was given. It was never a goal and it's not even possible to argue a case for it to stand. :lol:

Some f***ing idiots out there! At least justice was served even though we nearly got f***ked over again.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:11 am

Not controversial at all. Nobody can argue, The lad was offside. Yeah the ball was over the line. Levelled out.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby FatSadGooner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
Arshavinfan wrote:Goal line technology. Now. FIFA are living in the stone age.

Now England are the beneficiaries Blatter and Platini may do something.

From the Mirror on line

With crashing predictability, FIFA president Sepp Blatter has responded to the row surrounding Ukraine's wrongly ruled-out goal against England by demanding the introduction of goal-line technology.

Striker Marco Devic was denied an equaliser on Tuesday night when officials failed to spot his shot had crossed the line before John Terry cleared it.

Blatter, who hopes to convince the game's rule-makers - the International Football Association Board - to give technology the green light, posted on Twitter: "After last night's match #GLT is no longer an alternative but a necessity."

I know the general agreement is that it was over the line, therefore it was a goal, but I'm going to disagree.

:biggrin:

The rule says that the whole of the ball has to be over the whole of the line.

Now in all the shots they showed last night I didn't get so see any that absolutely 100% PROVED it was over the line. It wasn't like Lampard's where you could stop the action, see the ball on the floor, and see two foot of green grass between the ball and the goal line.

In this case there is a shot of Terry's foot kicking the ball, and the edge of the ball blurs with the line of the crossbar.

The best proof that can be managed is a computer calculation of the relative positions at that point.

Now if you look at how technology is used in cricket, the technology is only used to spot umpiring mistakes. IE if a man was given out LBW when he wasn't, and vice versa. When the decision is queried, the 3rd umpire looks at the computer image and decides if the ball was clearly going to hit the stumps - if it was clear and unambiguous, the decision can be changed.

But if the ball is calculated to just be hitting the outside of the stump, or the top of the bail, then the umpire's original decision stands.

Which I think is reasonable. The technology cannot be guaranteed to be 100% infallible, so it is used to correct genuine mistakes.

The ref didn't make a mistake, it was just an impossibly close call to be 100% convinced about.

Therefore he made the correct choice - no goal.

:smart:
'I ran home immediately to my wife in excitement and said, 'I've seen the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you'll ever see in our Academy…..and he's from Lewisham!'

David Dein on Rocky Rocastle.

I wonder what Gazidis would have said......
FatSadGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:31 pm

It's the way that neither Blatter or Platini even try to hide their contempt for us that makes it funny. If the roles were reversed in South Africa and we had benefited then goal line technology would already be in use.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:34 pm

It's not ambiguous, there is a clear gap between the line and the ball
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Trequartista » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:51 pm

I for one am backing Carroll to start against Italy. They are a very good side and we are going to need that outball to him to relieve pressure and can use his threat from Gerrard's wonderful set-piece deliveries to nick a cheeky goal.

Hart
Johnson Terry Lescott Cole
The Ox Parker Gerrard Young
Rooney
Carroll
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TRA Dial Square » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:22 pm

1: It crossed the line, but it still wasn't a goal.

2: The reason it still wasn't a goal is... One of their players who tapped the ball through for this, was already offside so it shouldn't have got -this- far in the first place.

3: Even at 1-1 with France losing 2-0 - England would have topped the group, France would have been 2nd and Ukraine out of the competition.

So all the crying from Ukrainians and UEFA is pointless anyway.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby thrice » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 pm

TRA Dial Square wrote:1: It crossed the line, but it still wasn't a goal.

2: The reason it still wasn't a goal is... One of their players who tapped the ball through for this, was already offside so it shouldn't have got -this- far in the first place.

3: Even at 1-1 with France losing 2-0 - England would have topped the group, France would have been 2nd and Ukraine out of the competition.

wrong, it was a goal because the offside wasn't called. The crying isn't pointless because it shows that the extra ref is useless and they need to do something about it
thrice
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:51 pm

But if we are using technology for one, why not the other?

He was offside, the rest shouldn't of happened.

To some people it's fine that he got the offside wrong but not fine he got the ball crossing the line wrong. Makes no f***ing sense!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:52 pm

thrice wrote:

wrong, it was a goal because the offside wasn't called. The crying isn't pointless because it shows that the extra ref is useless and they need to do something about it

Wrong, it wasn't a goal as it was deemed not to cross the line. Just as the player was deemed not to of been offside.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby TRA Dial Square » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
thrice wrote:

Wrong, it wasn't a goal as it was deemed not to cross the line. Just as the player was deemed not to of been offside.

:clap: This.

And Thrice... Failing to see why points 1 and 2 are correct. See point 3.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:29 pm

vs Italy

Hart
Johnson Terry Lescott Cole
Gerrard Parker
Walcott Rooney Young
Defoe
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Trina » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:22 pm

So we have been fined 4 grand for ATTEMPTED pitch invasion... It doesn't suprise me at all. I cant help but think there was something they would try and bang on us.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Euro 2012