Group C

Qualification and finally the tournament itself in Poland and Ukraine. All talk about it in here including live match chat.

Re: Group C

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:50 pm

It was 20 minutes at the end of the first half that completely changed the game for us Max. Got level and then we just sat back and invited Croatia to attack at will. Granted we have a decent defensive record under Trap but you can't do that against any good team. And Croatia are no ponies.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Maxduke » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:02 am

Fabrestuta wrote:It was 20 minutes at the end of the first half that completely changed the game for us Max. Got level and then we just sat back and invited Croatia to attack at will. Granted we have a decent defensive record under Trap but you can't do that against any good team. And Croatia are no ponies.

Yeah mate, was cheering for you guys too. If only Andrews would have put that header in near the end, would have made for a good finish.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the penalty either? Was a certain penalty in my opinion.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:09 am

Maxduke wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:It was 20 minutes at the end of the first half that completely changed the game for us Max. Got level and then we just sat back and invited Croatia to attack at will. Granted we have a decent defensive record under Trap but you can't do that against any good team. And Croatia are no ponies.

Yeah mate, was cheering for you guys too. If only Andrews would have put that header in near the end, would have made for a good finish.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the penalty either? Was a certain penalty in my opinion.

I mentioned it earlier, was an absolute stonewall peno. Croatia deserved the result but with 20 mins to go that could have changed the game.
Still don't understand how it wasn't given. Wasn't in any way the reason we lost though.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Massa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:27 am

Fabrestuta wrote:BTW go f**k yourself massa.

:shock:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:05 am

Unlucky Ireland, the defending wasn't good enough but they had their own chances too especially towards the end, they just all fell to the same guy who's clearly no finisher

Going back to Spain v Italy, christ Spain are annoying. You don't need six midfielders! You just don't! In 2008 they were awesome, they played 442. FOUR FOUR TWO you beauty. In 2010 they were dogshit and fluked & cheated their way to the trophy, they played a sort of 4231 in that, just like everyone else. Now they're playing 460. f**k sake just drop Busqunt, bring in Lorente and maybe you'll look the part again.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Maxduke » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 am

I don't get why they need Biscuits, I mean they keep the ball that much do they really need a holding midfielder in there? Even if they do, it's not as if Alonso makes 50 yard sprints into the opposition box.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Özilfan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:57 am

How can Spain increase their potency?

Possibility One

I'd say take off Alonso - he's a top player but he's lacks Busquet's mobility and speed of distribution. In essence, Xabi slows their passing game and is more likely to lose possession (84% pass completion compared with Busquet's 92% and Xavi's 90%). In addition, with Del Bosque's Spain, it is clear the current system lacks width and vertical penetration. Torres offered the latter when he came on.

Busquets - Xavi

Pedro/Navas - Fabregas - Iniesta

Torres

Spain looked dangerous with Torres, piercing that Italian backline on two occasions. Despite his poor finishing, he added another dimension to their attacking play. I think he had Fabregas could be dangerous together. If Torres hasn't brought his shooting boots replace him with Llorente.

Silva drifts in an awful lot and, with Iniesta on the other flank, fails to offer the team sufficient width to stretch the play (still a top class player - 96%(!) pass completion against Italy). Navas clearly provided an additional attacking outlet when he came on and gives Spain a different option.

Possibility Two

Ramos - Busquets - Pique - Alba

Alonso – Xavi
Fabregas

Navas - Llorente - Iniesta

Push Busquets back into central defence - something he has done for Barca many times. Ramos then takes up the right full back position and is then free to help the attack.
Özilfan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ayN » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 am

Are you serious? Busquets is probably the most overrated and useless player in the world. The only reason he plays for Spain is because he plays for Barcelona. Fabregas was a Spain substitute when he played for us, now that he's in Barca, Spain have to accommodate him into the first XI and he plays as a striker for them. :lol:
Wenger please go away
ayN
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Özilfan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:24 am

Completely serious. The biggest headache Del Bosque faces is which of his midfielders to play. The case for Busquets:

1) Terrific stamina - in the 2010 World Cup Final, for example, he marked Sneijder out of the game from the first minute to the 120th.
2) Fantastic defensive play - he can close down, tackle, make interceptions and then immediately transition the play from defence to attack upon receiving the ball. He does this consistently and at pace which helps to maintain attacking momentum.
3) His passing - yes, he keeps it simple but that's just the point: he KEEPS it.

I respect Alonso, I think he is a top player and his departure contributed heavily towards Liverpool's decline. However, too often when I see him play for Spain, he works against the fluidity of the team and often slows the play, spending more time on the ball and tending to lose possession more often than his team mates.
Özilfan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:07 am

Given was woeful last night. Normally he is a great keeper, One of the best. Really think they are the whipping boys of that group. Great supporters though. Hope i am wrong and they get into the next round. COME ON IRELAND.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby golfinguy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Fabragas blames pitch for the draw. LOL - now where o where did he pick up that tactic? :think: Like 'father' like son... :lol:

“The pitch is a disaster,” said Fabregas. “It’s lamentable to play on a pitch like that. We deserved a lot more. It’s lamentable that we still have to play on pitches like that.”
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zedie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Arshavinfan wrote:Completely serious. The biggest headache Del Bosque faces is which of his midfielders to play. The case for Busquets:

1) Terrific stamina - in the 2010 World Cup Final, for example, he marked Sneijder out of the game from the first minute to the 120th.
2) Fantastic defensive play - he can close down, tackle, make interceptions and then immediately transition the play from defence to attack upon receiving the ball. He does this consistently and at pace which helps to maintain attacking momentum.
3) His passing - yes, he keeps it simple but that's just the point: he KEEPS it.

I respect Alonso, I think he is a top player and his departure contributed heavily towards Liverpool's decline. However, too often when I see him play for Spain, he works against the fluidity of the team and often slows the play, spending more time on the ball and tending to lose possession more often than his team mates.

Another potent weapon in Busquets armoury is his supernatural ability to act as if hes been taken out by a 1000 yard sniper shot. His powers of recovery after such assaults are legendary as well.

Busqcunt
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Busquets is awful. Overrated to the fullest..

Alonso - Xavi
Silva - Fabregas - Iniesta
Llorente

Would be amazing.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby mg86 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:That game summed up spanish and italian football zzzzzz

Are you joking? Pot (England) calling the kettle (Spain/Italy) black?
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby mg86 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm

All spain lacked was a striker. What a dumb idea it was to not play one. There was no direction to their play because of it. Fabregas still shows his brilliance despite it. Iniesta looked top form as well. Spain aren't out of anything yet, just need Llorente or Torres upfront to focus things.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Euro 2012