What would your 23 man england squad be?

Qualification and finally the tournament itself in Poland and Ukraine. All talk about it in here including live match chat.

Re: What would your 23 man england squad be?

Postby Est83 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:04 am

F**k Woy! Seriously!

I defended his appointment, he got an average Fulham to the Europa final, figured he was a "cup manager". Yay! :rolleyes:

Now, I'm definitely not a fan of Fat Frank, always felt he was over rated and that England's best CM partnership as of last year was Wilshere and Parker, with the wrinkley-headed Scouse playing behind the striker... so the thigh injury to Lampard didn't exactly bring a tear to my eye, but a call up for Henderson....... f**king hell!!!!!!! That's enough to give me nightmares if I actually gave a shit about the national team!

Jordan F**king Henderson!!!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

What would your 23 man england squad be?

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:48 am

CynicalGooner wrote:What with injuries and a few awful decisions this is a properly dreadful squad. The group is going to be a f***ing struggle no doubt about it

Although it would be typical of England if the worst England squad ever puts in the best performance ever.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:59 am

Plymouth Gooner wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:What with injuries and a few awful decisions this is a properly dreadful squad. The group is going to be a f***ing struggle no doubt about it

Although it would be typical of England if the worst England squad ever puts in the best performance ever.

if the media totaly write them off befor it starts,it would give them a better chance
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby FatSadGooner » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:37 am

My initial reaction was pretty much the same.

But then I thought, who else is there?

We could have Carrick, but he's definitely only 6th or 7th choice. Or we could have someone from an unfashionable side, but there isn't anyone who demands to be picked, and looks like having a long term chance to make it.

Henderson has had a crap season, playing in a crap position for a crap manager in a crap side.

But he is one of the future England hopefuls, so this might well set him back on track

And he'll only come on as a substitute/reserve anyway.

So why not start building for the world cup now?

Of course it's a gamble, but isn't it better to gamble on someone who, if he come off, will be a major England player over the next ten years? Or should we be gambling on someone like Leon Osman a 30+ player with no future potential?

If someone can only teach Roy how to set up a team to play football, I'd actually start looking forward to this.

:clap:
'I ran home immediately to my wife in excitement and said, 'I've seen the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you'll ever see in our Academy…..and he's from Lewisham!'

David Dein on Rocky Rocastle.

I wonder what Gazidis would have said......
FatSadGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby FatSadGooner » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:01 am

If someone teaches Roy how to get a team playing half positive football, and all the young players he's picked for this squad were to miraculously come off, then in two years time we could be looking at a team set up a bit like this:

Hart
Johnson Jones Cahill Baines
AOC Henderson Wilshere Young
Rooney Welbeck

Compared with what the team would look like if picked tomorrow (assuming Parker can still walk, and Rooney were available)

Hart
Johnson Terry Cahill Cole
Milner Gerrard Parker Young
Rooney Carroll

Swings, roundabouts, it ain't so bad.

:dontknow:

For me it's more about the style of football they set up to play. And that's where Roy will have to prove something to me.

:pray:
'I ran home immediately to my wife in excitement and said, 'I've seen the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you'll ever see in our Academy…..and he's from Lewisham!'

David Dein on Rocky Rocastle.

I wonder what Gazidis would have said......
FatSadGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Özilfan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:37 am

Henderson or Cleverley? The Manchester United strikes me as a smart central and energetic midfielder who, alongside Wilshere, could become the fulcrum point of England's midfield. Have I got it totally wrong? He doesn't seem to be a part of the debate at all - was it the injury he sustained this season that has ruled him out or is Henderson actually the better player?
Özilfan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:54 am

Long term I'd like to see Wilshere and Cleverley in CM in a 4-4-2.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:00 am

pfft Cleverley is so overrated it's insane. You think our prospects get hyped, Msn U's are even worse for it.

He's played about 6 games for them and was thoroughly average every time I saw him. Completely outshone by Lansbury at Watford and the England under 21's, he's just a mediocre player
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TransferMuppet » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:07 am

I don't rate Cleverley that high, makes me laugh when I see those mugs on Red Cafe always mentioning him and Wilshere in the same breath, Wilshere's a level or three above him. For the WC2014 qualifying campaign i'd like to see England get rid of the old guard, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Defoe, Cole.

Let the f***ing side THAT WILL ACTUALLY PLAY in the world cup, qualify for it and get used to eachother.

....................Hart
Walker...Smalling...Cahill....Baines
............Rodwell....Wilshere
.....................Ox
Walcott.........Rooney.......Young

Obviously we don't know what other youngsters will emerge before 2014 but from those we know about, i'd go with the side above an then have the rest on the bench, Cleverley, McEcheran, Gibbs, Jones, Richards, Carroll, Lansbury, Sterling. Henderson, Welbeck, Sturridge etc etc etc
TransferMuppet
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Özilfan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:21 am

CynicalGooner wrote:pfft Cleverley is so overrated it's insane. You think our prospects get hyped, Msn U's are even worse for it.

He's played about 6 games for them and was thoroughly average every time I saw him. Completely outshone by Lansbury at Watford and the England under 21's, he's just a mediocre player

How do you think he compares with Henderson?

In other news: Oxlade-Chamberlain confirmed to start against Belgium.
Özilfan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:26 am

Cheers for that, just put 50p on him scoring first at 8/1 and 50p on him scoring a hat-trick at 100/1.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Yorkyblue » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:41 am

Zinadine cleverly.

Most overated player to play in this division.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:53 am

Arshavinfan wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:pfft Cleverley is so overrated it's insane. You think our prospects get hyped, Msn U's are even worse for it.

How do you think he compares with Henderson?

In other news: Oxlade-Chamberlain confirmed to start against Belgium.

Neither of them are anywhere near good enough to play for England. Just like Downing isn't.

He is better than Henderson though... it's not hard to be better than Jordan Henderson. f***ing hell I can't believe he is in the England squad.

Aside from simply not having the talent or shit coaching, this is our biggest problem. We promote the shit players to the full England squad, wherein they then "become" a top player and are an international thereafter. Whereas the actual good players from the youth ranks are not promoted and rarely get a look in ever again.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:37 am

So what, give them a chance and let them play, why does every player have to be at their best at their current age? suppose that England and Scotlands problem we would rather chuck money at problems rather than train and teach players.

Full strength Italy got beat 0-3 at home by Russia last night so the best doesnt always work.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:52 am

Oh great logic. Grab your boots everyone, lets all go play for england. It doesn't matter right, I'm shit but hey give me a chance
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Previous

Return to UEFA Euro 2012