Capello to decide on captain

Qualification and finally the tournament itself in Poland and Ukraine. All talk about it in here including live match chat.

Capello to decide on captain

Postby Trina » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:22 am

Fabio Capello says he has yet to decide whether Rio Ferdinand will reclaim the England captaincy upon his return to the squad.

Ferdinand was named England captain earlier this year after John Terry was stripped of the armband following allegations regarding the Chelsea defender's private life.

However, Ferdinand missed the World Cup finals and opening Euro 2012 qualifiers due to a knee injury, leading to Steven Gerrard captaining the national team.

Gerrard has impressed in the role and there are calls for the Liverpool midfielder to remain as skipper following Ferdinand's return to fitness.

Manchester United defender Ferdinand is expected to be back in the squad for the 12th October qualifier against Montenegro and Capello must decide who will lead the team out.
Wait

When asked whether Ferdinand would be captain if available, Capello said: "I will decide after seeing which players are fit.

"I haven't decided. I can't speak about who will be captain. I hope all the players will be fit and then I will announce it.

"Why not Ferdinand? No, no no. Wait. I can't speak about if, if, if..."

Gerrard has created a favourable impression with Capello and was his first England captain for the friendly with Switzerland in February 2008.

He said: "Gerrard is a really good captain. He is captain of Liverpool, and he always plays like a leader on the pitch."

Capello is slowly rebuilding his reputation with victories over Bulgaria and Switzerland in the opening two Euro 2012 qualifiers.

But he is adamant there will be no reversal of his decision to end his England tenure after the 2012 finals - even if they win the tournament.

He said: "Will anything change my mind? No. I've decided. It is not a problem if we win or lose (in 2012).

"I've decided. I think after four years, one World Cup, not good results, one Euro, is enough. It is good experience for a manager."

Capello will also play no part in appointing his successor and has no hard and fast opinions on whether his replacement should be English.

He said: "Will I decide who replaces me? Absolutely not. It will be a new era.

"I am asked should the next manager be English, but it is the decision of the FA. I think in England there are good managers, but the FA has to decide about this."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 06,00.html
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Capello to decide on captain

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:23 am

Jack Wilshere for captain
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:27 am

Gibbs!
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Was Jack named in the squad?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Trina » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Yep he has been, read it online the otherday somewhere, think it might be on SSN.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:12 pm

John Terry for me.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Maxduke » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:John Terry for me.

Same.

Here's the squad for the next game...

Ben Foster (Birmingham City), Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City); Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa); Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Joe Cole (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Aston Villa); Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur), Kevin Davies (Bolton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:22 pm

I read a stat about Kevin Davies earlier. In the last year he has created more chances for team mates than any other player!

We need a right back pretty urgent. Hopefully Richards can go on loan somewhere and play there to get back to his best at RB. His spell at CB has messed him up. Can't see him getting much game time with Boateng and Zabs playing there already.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Rockin' Robin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Either Lampard or Gerrard.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby TheLittleMozart » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:I read a stat about Kevin Davies earlier. In the last year he has created more chances for team mates than any other player!

We need a right back pretty urgent. Hopefully Richards can go on loan somewhere and play there to get back to his best at RB. His spell at CB has messed him up. Can't see him getting much game time with Boateng and Zabs playing there already.

Surley that quote has to be taken with a pinch of salt, seeing as Boltons only gameplan is to punt the ball towards Kevin Davies and see what happens from there!
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:12 pm

Maxduke wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:John Terry for me.

Same.

Here's the squad for the next game...

Ben Foster (Birmingham City), Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City); Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa); Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Joe Cole (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Aston Villa); Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur), Kevin Davies (Bolton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

No Theo in there.
Probably a good thing this time.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:13 pm

He's going to pick Gerrard, though I'd pick Lampard over him.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Forest » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Glad Lampard is still out too
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Massa » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Massa wrote:He's going to pick Gerrard, though I'd pick Lampard over him.

Obviously not for this international break though :P
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Lampard? Seriously get over your boner for him, he's worthless. He's had his international day, time for Wilshere to take his place.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Next

Return to UEFA Euro 2012