Chamakh - I can make a bigger impact now

Chamakh - I can make a bigger impact now

Postby gzagee » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:04 pm

I certainly expect more from him this season coming.
I was not pleased with the way he tailed off alarmingly from Winter onwards.
And with Bendy looking set to leave he better step up.

Marouane Chamakh expects to make a bigger impact this season after completing his acclimatisation to English football. 

The Moroccan striker moved from Bordeaux to Emirates Stadium last summer and made a solid first impression, netting ten times in his first 17 starts for the Club and flourishing in the absence of the injured Robin van Persie and Nicklas Bendtner.

Chamakh could not maintain his fine early-season form and featured far less after Van Persie returned to full fitness in the New Year but 27-year-old rejects the notion that he might suffer 'second season syndrome' in 2011/12.

"No, I think it’ll in fact be easier," Chamakh told Arsenal.com. 

"I understand both the football and the group better, and I now have many friends in this team. So I aim to keep improving and to make a big contribution.

"Your first pre-season is always difficult, you have to accustom yourself to new training and make new friends, but we’re all together and everything looks fine."

Chamakh and his team-mates are back on home soil this weekend for the Emirates Cup after a pre-season tour that took in Malaysia, China and Germany. The trip to Asia in particular was an eye-opener for the striker.

"I think it was a good, new experience for the entire squad," he said. 

"It was surprising to see the number of fans Arsenal have over there and I think it proved to us what a big club this is – people across the world demand that you do well. For us it was good to spend time in a different culture, while the supporters could watch us in matches and training, and see a lot of the Club.

"Germany was a bit different. There were fewer supporters around and the training was harder both for us and the staff. But we played a good match against Cologne and had some great facilities there, so we’re happy with how it has gone."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... ws+Feed%29
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Chamakh - I can make a bigger impact now

Postby mel4 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

gzagee wrote:I certainly expect more from him this season coming.
I was not pleased with the way he tailed off alarmingly from Winter onwards.
And with Bendy looking set to leave he better step up.

"Germany was a bit different. There were fewer supporters around and the training was harder both for us and the staff. But we played a good match against Cologne and had some great facilities there, so we’re happy with how it has gone."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... ws+Feed%29

Nobody is happy with Charmakh's play, he needs a reality check. "We" may not be sad but ''We" are not happy :doh:

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:12 pm

I never expected much from him, so what we did get I was pleased with. But I'm sure the main reason why he fell off towards the end of the season was because he wasn't played as often.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby djaxster » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:15 pm

With Bendy going he will be 1 of 2 main strikers, so will get more games and must prove himself by January as I think we may be after a bigger and better striker if he cannot prove himself.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby mg86 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:16 pm

He will be very important this campaign I think.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby shamrock11 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Only if he is plays good mg
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Est83 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 pm

He didnt impress anyone with his overall game last season, but he was still smashing in goals. He was never going to be first choice once RvP return, but he did a damn good job up til that point.

I don't have any problems with Chamakh, I fully expect him to improve naturally as he enters his second season, and hopefully he'll be spurred on knowing that it's just him vs RvP for that central sport... not that he - or 95% of the strikers out there - could realistically challenge RvP for his place!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Zedie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:56 am

He really needs to get out of his funk if he wants to make it at this club. Its like he's forgotten how to play football all of a sudden.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:13 am

Zedie wrote:He really needs to get out of his funk if he wants to make it at this club. Its like he's forgotten how to play football all of a sudden.

You don't think it was simply a case of RvP returning then?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Zedie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:20 am

IT cant be. You look at the before and afterm and he completely seems to have lost his sense of timing and positioning as well as his strength on the ball.

He keeps getting shrugged off the ball or is no where near it, where as when he first came he was like "GET OFFFA ME. AAAARRRGGGGHH", and the ball werent leaving his position until he wanted it gone.

Dont know whats up with him but he needs to fix up, wasnt imprressed v Cologne either, seems like same old again.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:16 am

Could it be he does not fit into our shape or patern of play i feel we would be much better of with a true goal poacher than a target man,somebody who pounces on anything in the 18 yard box so when we are trying to walk it in we have a significant other,other than RVP getting a shot away.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 am

We need someone who can head the ball. We'd been crying out for that for ages. He makes us a threat from headers. He just needs to up his levels of fitness and return to the quality he showed in the first part of last season.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby VCC » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:44 am

gzagee wrote:We need someone who can head the ball. We'd been crying out for that for ages. He makes us a threat from headers. He just needs to up his levels of fitness and return to the quality he showed in the first part of last season.

Agree that we are poor in the air but still i think we need two upfront for a Bendy or Chamak to work
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:46 am

VCC wrote:
gzagee wrote:We need someone who can head the ball. We'd been crying out for that for ages. He makes us a threat from headers. He just needs to up his levels of fitness and return to the quality he showed in the first part of last season.

Agree that we are poor in the air but still i think we need two upfront for a Bendy or Chamak to work

Agreed. Would be good to see more flexibility in our formations.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Chamakh dismisses Roma link
Moroccan determined to prove a success at Arsenal

Reports may be linking Marouane Chamakh with a move to Roma, but the Arsenal striker is determined to prove himself a success in the Premier League.

Speculation has suggested new Roma boss Luis Enrique views the Morocco international as an ideal replacement for Mirko Vucinic after the Montenegrin was sold to Juventus.

But despite a difficult first season at Arsenal, where he struggled to get into Arsene Wenger's first team after Christmas, Chamakh wants to stay at Emirates Stadium.

The 2010 free signing from Bordeaux told skysports.com: "I want to make my name in the Premier League.

"I started well last season and lost my way. However, I want to make a name for myself here.

"I've heard a lot of rumours about me leaving the Gunners, but I have a contract here. I want to honour it and make myself No.1 in my position. I am looking forward to that."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 06,00.html
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Next

Return to 29. Marouane Chamakh