Arsenal Vs Man City | Premiership 24/04/10

Re: Arsenal Vs Man City | Premiership 24/04/10

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:04 am

GunnGunn wrote:I don't particularly think however that much emphasis is put on goalkeeping or defence in training...

Defending, certainly not, but the GKs have their own goalkeeping coach so you can't exactly say that he's ignoring the position.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:05 am

I have a feeling he will get both Campbell and Silvestre on 1 year deals...

The way Silvestre has been talking of late, i reckon he is already in negotiations..
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:05 am

But his mentality and mental side of the game is sooooooooooooooo poor.

He isn't anything special at shot stopping if you ask me either. Distribution is miles better than Almunia, but that's not really saying anything. Basically he keeps his goal kicks in play... :hiding:

I don't think that he will ever be anything special between the sticks. Just my opinion, but if he hasn't figured out the mental side of the game by 24 he's not going to.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:06 am

Inchpractice wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:I don't particularly think however that much emphasis is put on goalkeeping or defence in training...

Defending, certainly not, but the GKs have their own goalkeeping coach so you can't exactly say that he's ignoring the position.

Yes but isn't Mart Poom assistant goalkeeping coach?

Tells me all i need to know really.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:08 am

Inchpractice wrote:
Leody wrote:I have a terrible fear that Wenger is going to make Fabianski the #1 next year...

He's brave but he's not stupid. Never going to happen.

I never thought we would see him play in an Arsenal shirt again... :dontknow:

And as far as the goalkeeping, I'm seriously starting to doubt Wenger. We'll see this summer, but if he doesn't bring somebody in then it is beyond doubt that he is clueless about goalkeepers.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:09 am

Leody wrote:But his mentality and mental side of the game is sooooooooooooooo poor.

He isn't anything special at shot stopping if you ask me either. Distribution is miles better than Almunia, but that's not really saying anything. Basically he keeps his goal kicks in play... :hiding:

I don't think that he will ever be anything special between the sticks. Just my opinion, but if he hasn't figured out the mental side of the game by 24 he's not going to.

His saves against Amr Zaki in the CC showed he has got something special, the best goalkeepers in the World would have struggled to do that.

He, like Almunia struggles with the basics, and he hasn't got the mental side of his game yet, and he is 25 now...

I know Goalkeepers mature later than other players, but great goalkeepers should be great or good at 25.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:13 am

GunnGunn wrote:I have a feeling he will get both Campbell and Silvestre on 1 year deals...

The way Silvestre has been talking of late, i reckon he is already in negotiations..

For the love of God no.
Two creaking geriatrics on the same team, f**k that.
Leody wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
Leody wrote:I have a terrible fear that Wenger is going to make Fabianski the #1 next year...

He's brave but he's not stupid. Never going to happen.

I never thought we would see him play in an Arsenal shirt again... :dontknow:

And as far as the goalkeeping, I'm seriously starting to doubt Wenger. We'll see this summer, but if he doesn't bring somebody in then it is beyond doubt that he is clueless about goalkeepers.

Course he was going to play again. That's the Wenger way. A player makes a very costly error, we don't bench them we put them straight back on the horse so they can drop more points for us. :thumbsup:

I really don't know what'll happen to Flappianski I hope he gets sold or goes out on loan for five years but AW won't give up on him without a fight.
When was the last time he admitted defeat and sold a young player who wasn't quite up to it?
You have to go all the way back to Aliadiere.
He has too much faith sometimes.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:21 am

Yeah, but there is faith and then there is stupidity... and keeping Fabianski or giving him a 7th chance would be the latter.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:27 am

I don't particularly like Fabianski but he has played nowhere near enough or had a consistent run of games for us to throw the towel in just yet...

I am sure people said that same when AW spent £10m on Henry and he didn't score for 8 games and look what happened...

Its very farfetched to suggest he will go the same route but Fabianski has the physical ability to be a very good goalkeeper.

And as for giving up on players look no further than players like Jay Simpson, Lupoli etc, ok one is not gone but he soon will be.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:53 am

GG as I've said in other threads when that same point was made it isn't that he's making mistakes. It is the nature of the mistakes that he makes.

They are just pure stupidity. For example I would forgive fumbling the corner against Wigan, because he was in the right place made the right decision and it was just a lack of skill that lead to the goal. But the two goals he allowed at Porto were not excusable. He was woefully out of position on the first goal. Too far off his line, there is no reason to ever need to dive back towards your own net on a cross. And the second... where to start. He should have just booted the ball into row Z and not picked it up. Then when he gave the ball to the ref he turned his back on the play. You NEVER do that as a keeper. Ever.

That's why I'm done with him. Those show a lack of concentration and mental frailty. Two qualities that you cannot afford to have in a keeper.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 am

GunnGunn wrote:I don't particularly like Fabianski but he has played nowhere near enough or had a consistent run of games for us to throw the towel in just yet...

I am sure people said that same when AW spent £10m on Henry and he didn't score for 8 games and look what happened...

And as for giving up on players look no further than players like Jay Simpson, Lupoli etc, ok one is not gone but he soon will be.

I agree that he hasn't had as many chances to prove himself as some of other young players have had, but he has had quite a few.
He automatically starts every CC game and every FA cup game and obviously plays in the pre-season friendlies as well, and crucially he takes over when Almunia is out.
I'm all for giving the kids as much time as possible but I can't remember a young player being THAT catastrophically bad over such a long period of time until he came along.
I'm not talking about players like Jay Simpson who only ever played in the reserves I'm talking about people who had many chances playing for the first team.
Even when Bendtner first started playing in the Prem he was no Henry but he wasn't a total calamity either. You could at least see the potential there, it was obvious (to me at least) that he would reach the level he's at now.

Fabaclutski is mentally not ready, or mentally elsewhere, or unable to handle the pressure - I don't know what the problem is but he's had PLENTY of time to iron it out. If he goes away somewhere and gets his head sorted he might be a good GK in the future but right now he should be NOWHERE near any situation that could cost the club points.
I feel safer with Mannone at the moment.

Leody wrote:GG as I've said in other threads when that same point was made it isn't that he's making mistakes. It is the nature of the mistakes that he makes.

They are just pure stupidity. For example I would forgive fumbling the corner against Wigan, because he was in the right place made the right decision and it was just a lack of skill that lead to the goal. But the two goals he allowed at Porto were not excusable. He was woefully out of position on the first goal. Too far off his line, there is no reason to ever need to dive back towards your own net on a cross. And the second... where to start. He should have just booted the ball into row Z and not picked it up. Then when he gave the ball to the ref he turned his back on the play. You NEVER do that as a keeper. Ever.

That's why I'm done with him. Those show a lack of concentration and mental frailty. Two qualities that you cannot afford to have in a keeper.

I agree, they are massive howlers, worse than anything Senderos ever did by a country mile.

EDIT: Just watched an interview with him on ATVO, he said that the City game is the first clean sheet that he's kept all season. And that's against a team who parked the bus.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10