Wigan Vs Arsenal | Premiership 18/04/10

Re: Wigan Vs Arsenal | Premiership 18/04/10

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:04 am

Overriding emotion this morning is just dissapointment. Not particularly angry, but so many of us have said that certain players just arent up to snuff and now Wenger has found out in the hardest way possible. It's been a bad fortnight.

I just want this season to be over so we can look forward
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Q8 Gooner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:22 am

I have always been sticking up with this team.. But to be honest these r the biggest f**k ups i have seen to wear an Arsenal shirt..!! How many times does this happen to the same team..!! West Ham, Wigan and Birmingham this season and Tottenham and Villa last season..!!
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:06 am

Briggsy wrote:
starmandb wrote:
maslo wrote:did anyone else notice wenger seemed to know what was coming? he has seen it all before. so have we.

well i did,nt see it coming and i,ve watched the club for 40 years.only once before had i seen us lose after being 2 in front and that was in moscow in 1982 against a very good spartak side when we had the likes of george wood,chris whyte,brian mcdermott and lee chapman in the team.this is very un arsenal like .spurs like ? yes.
arsenal like? not at all.

you forget Norwich, when we was 2-0 up

was that the opening day of the 92/93 season? i will have to take your word for it as i don,t remember us being 2-0 up.i did find another 1 in 98/99 when we were 2nil up at villa and lost 3-2 but that was my sons 5 th birthday so i was probably busy playing pass the parcel.
perhaps they should tell our keepers there is a prize in the ball so they try to hold onto it longer
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby mel4 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:19 am

mgilbert86 wrote:Anyone thinking that Wenger will allow a game where three goals were conceded in the final 11 minutes to have no repercussions is an idiot. Some people on here need to learn how to back your team and your manager, rather than revert to calling for x person out when things aren't going your way. Toughen the f**k up!

Calm ya ass down before I lay it on you :doh:

Yeah, recall when -
Lehman fumbled some seasons back, he miraculously developed some wrist injury.
Mumunia fumbled early season he developed same
Against yids, Rose's shot went straight at him..laughable, and he has now developed wrist injury. Was 2-1 not enough for some repercussion....spare me the bollocks!

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Galls » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:39 am

Perhaps Almunia was dropped for the few mistakes he's made recently. Perhaps Wenger wants to protect him somehow by alling it an injury rather than saying he's dropped him.I actually think he's showing some class by doing that because he is supporting his player rather than publically criticising him, the same he does with all his players. He wants the team to act and play like a team, not going to get that if one member of the team is publically ostracised. And I don't think that Rose's goal was stoppable by anyone. His mistake was in punching it out not collecting it in the first place.
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby mel4 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:51 am

Galls wrote:Perhaps Almunia was dropped for the few mistakes he's made recently. Perhaps Wenger wants to protect him somehow by alling it an injury rather than saying he's dropped him.I actually think he's showing some class by doing that because he is supporting his player rather than publically criticising him, the same he does with all his players. He wants the team to act and play like a team, not going to get that if one member of the team is publically ostracised. And I don't think that Rose's goal was stoppable by anyone. His mistake was in punching it out not collecting it in the first place.

lol, that ball went straight at him.. you need to look at the game again.

He doesn't have to explain to us. We get the message. Covering it up with some played out shitty wrist injury excuse tells you what he thinks. Any dummy can be sold to the fans. Like the 'We will buy new players' dummy to revive/push up season tickets sales.

I may be wrong, but I have seen this shit repeated over and over - even when its true, it becomes a doubt.

mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Galls » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 am

We'll agree to disagree then, I see it as class you see it as wenger is a fool. Whatever floats your boat.

I've seen the goal lots of times thanks to Sky. Don't think any keeper would have comfortably stopped it, and that's my opinion.
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby mel4 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:48 am

Don't worry I need more to float my boat not foolish Wenger. I hope his class floats yours.... while at it, pls change the lenses on your wenger-esque goggles.

mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Galls » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:58 am

lol just because I happen to think that Wenger not coming out to the press and blasting his players pubically is classy don't think i have wenger-esque glasses. I do happen to think he's one of the best managers out there, I think he's done a lot for the club and while some of his decisions baffle me sometimes, other decisions leave me in no doubt that he is worthy of the accolades he has had thrown at him.

If I was a manager, i would not tell the press or the general public that a player was being dropped for poor performances. I would put it more tactfully, and yes, probably say somethng like he had a niggle, or he needed rest. I trust that that is what Wenger is doing also. If that makes me delusional then I'm a big enough girl to take that.

And while we're at it, if I thought the sunshine shone out of Wenger's arse then that is MY opinion and I am entitled to it.
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby StLGooner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 pm

PUKE!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:30 pm

What baffles me and leads me to seriously question Wenger's judgment is he would ever even entertain the thought of dropping Almunia in favor of Fabianski.

To me it is clear as night and day that Almunia is far better than Fabianski. Even on Almunia's worst day he's better than Fabianski.

I know my opinion of Fabianski is not popular or even well received by most, but I'm beyond 100% convinced. He isn't a top level keeper. And I highly doubt he ever will be. And if he ever does get to the level required by a team that means to contend in one the top leagues in the world it will not be for years from now. And he is going to have some unimaginable mental hurdles to overcome.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Just going back to Wenger being interviewed after the game. I don't think I have ever seen the man so dejected. He sounded as if he just found out a loved one had passed away.
I hope the players were as gutted as he was and it gives them a kick in the arse, (i suspect les boss will also introduce his expensive shoes to some of the more culpable arses)
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby mel4 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Galls wrote:lol just because I happen to think that Wenger not coming out to the press and blasting his players pubically is classy don't think i have wenger-esque glasses. I do happen to think he's one of the best managers out there, I think he's done a lot for the club and while some of his decisions baffle me sometimes, other decisions leave me in no doubt that he is worthy of the accolades he has had thrown at him.

If I was a manager, i would not tell the press or the general public that a player was being dropped for poor performances. I would put it more tactfully, and yes, probably say somethng like he had a niggle, or he needed rest. I trust that that is what Wenger is doing also. If that makes me delusional then I'm a big enough girl to take that.

And while we're at it, if I thought the sunshine shone out of Wenger's arse then that is MY opinion and I am entitled to it.

I never advocated that Wenger in anyway should blast his players in the press. If thats the way it is coming across to you, sorry dude - your mind is reaching. Yeah, far away from what you read and I beg you to check it now..lol

All I say is theres no need to give us the played out wrist injury crap, or we are going to add players, we are not dummies. :doh:

mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Popey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:43 pm

I watched the game till we were 2-0 up and I though we will win this....! and when I came back 3-2 defeat. can't believe we lost that game. saw the highlights and the mistakes were horrible.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Galls » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:14 pm

mel4 wrote:
Galls wrote:lol just because I happen to think that Wenger not coming out to the press and blasting his players pubically is classy don't think i have wenger-esque glasses. I do happen to think he's one of the best managers out there, I think he's done a lot for the club and while some of his decisions baffle me sometimes, other decisions leave me in no doubt that he is worthy of the accolades he has had thrown at him.

I never advocated that Wenger in anyway should blast his players in the press. If thats the way it is coming across to you, sorry dude - your mind is reaching. Yeah, far away from what you read and I beg you to check it now..lol

All I say is theres no need to give us the played out wrist injury crap, or we are going to add players, we are not dummies. :doh:

I was a bit on one this morning, so probably read a bit more into it, was aabout fed up with all the crap coming from this forum this morning. so yea apologies here too.

I know we're none of us stupid, and I don't think he means to treat us like we're gonna fall for it, but honestly I think he just has the player's and the teams best interests at heart, that's the way he chooses to handle things publically and think he always will.

As for the *we're going to add players* thing - I think he intends to if the right player comes along, but he's never going to be that manager who'll buy for buying sake - he's got to believe the player will benefit the team. Annoying, i know, when we can see glaring holes here and there, but we have got to trust he'll bring the right players in at the right price. Time will only tell if he'll bring someone in this time! I think what we forget is that other managers who do splash out often get criticised for the amount they have spent and not necessarily got anywhere with! You only have to look at berbatov to see where I'm going with that one. It's a no win situation I think for high profile managers.
Anyway this is digressing big time from the thread now lol.

I have amazingly taken no stick for the performance yesterday - was expecting it. But (fortunately) work was bombed so no-one really had time for pleasantries - thankfully!
Still smarting after they gave up so easily and really hoping that Wenger makes them watch that game over and over again so they can see exactly where they went wrong. I truely thought that no matter what RvP would come on for the last 30. Not sure what went wrong there!He needs to be tip top for Saturday, he needs to start and he needs to last the full 90. A good run out yesterday would have done him the world of good.
And to all the Almunia detractors out there - who's it to be on Saturday? Al or Fabianski? Tough call!
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10