Barcelona Vs Arsenal | Champions League QF L2 06/04/10

Re: Barcelona Vs Arsenal | Champions League QF L2 06/04/10

Postby StLGooner » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:41 am

Bristol_Gunner wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Bristol_Gunner wrote:Well we still have a chance obviously but i was merely responding to Lucifer.

Also the point about missing 4 of their big players is so-so. Barca pretty much carry Ibra through games at times giving him chances on a plat. If you create chances someone will score no matter who and in my opinion he's no better or worse than Eto'o. Well even with Iniesta out that argument is only truly valid if Xavi is out too and in fact Xavi for me is the better player though both are for me the bets midfielders in the world. The defenders is also not so accurate for me because the key part of Barcas defence is their ability to press the ball high up the pitch, as seen over the past few legs.

So basically no matter who they play or who we play, they're still better. Still the same point.

For me its not so much who but how. I was disagreeing with you on the fact that you said us loosing 4 players is like them loosing 4 key players. On paper when you compare the two first teams you can say that Barca's is better but football isnt always about individual skill. Its also about Tactics, and its Barca's tactics and pressing of the ball which impressed me most and was the main reason we lost the tie.

I agree, but the whole point Inch was trying to make was saying how can we compete without those players, when they had key players out too, but like you say it really doesn't matter cause not only do they have better players, but their tactics and coaching were better as well.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ochriso-1988 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:13 am

ChVint22 wrote:
Bristol_Gunner wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Bristol_Gunner wrote:Well we still have a chance obviously but i was merely responding to Lucifer.

Also the point about missing 4 of their big players is so-so. Barca pretty much carry Ibra through games at times giving him chances on a plat. If you create chances someone will score no matter who and in my opinion he's no better or worse than Eto'o. Well even with Iniesta out that argument is only truly valid if Xavi is out too and in fact Xavi for me is the better player though both are for me the bets midfielders in the world. The defenders is also not so accurate for me because the key part of Barcas defence is their ability to press the ball high up the pitch, as seen over the past few legs.

So basically no matter who they play or who we play, they're still better. Still the same point.

For me its not so much who but how. I was disagreeing with you on the fact that you said us loosing 4 players is like them loosing 4 key players. On paper when you compare the two first teams you can say that Barca's is better but football isnt always about individual skill. Its also about Tactics, and its Barca's tactics and pressing of the ball which impressed me most and was the main reason we lost the tie.

I agree, but the whole point Inch was trying to make was saying how can we compete without those players, when they had key players out too, but like you say it really doesn't matter cause not only do they have better players, but their tactics and coaching were better as well.

I dont think they had better tactics or coaching, just a better bunch of players on the field who all knew each others game. Silveste is a joke, as is Almunia. Rosicky is magic against mid-table and lower teams. Nasri is world class in the making. Denilson is a decent box-to-box but not at the level he could be yet. Walcott is better as an impact player, Bendtner is only dangerous when he's in the box with balls coming at him, he cant make something out of nothing like your Henry's and Van Persie's. We had the spine of our team missing.

Barca had 1 decent and 1 quality (Marquez) centerback, but the most important thing was they had their 2 best players on the field in Messi and Xavi. Now just swap Nasri for Fabregas moving Nasri to Rosicky's position and swap Silveste for Gallas and we had a fighting chance after learning from the first leg we cant sit back.

No doubt we got beat by the better team tonight, but they didnt beat the best team we have.. in fact they hardly saw a glimpse of it.
ochriso-1988
Liam Brady

Postby Fordy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:44 am

last night the best player in the world had one of the best games off his life, when that happens the team he plays against loses and its as simple as that.

your all football fans and i know it hurts to see your team lose but you watched history been made last night and in 20 years people will talk about messi like pele and maradona and people will remember this game.
Fordy

Postby Q8 Gooner » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 am

Certainly the defeat was unavoidable with messi on such a form.. I just have a few regrets.. Going 1-0 up against Barca and easily gifting them 3 goals..!! If we could have stayed up till half time then maybe we had a better chance of giving them a game.. Vermaelen is not as good as some people here rate him and i have been saying this..!! Coz he scores people keep saying he is the best CB in the EPL.. He certainly isn't.. Yet he could be there in a few seasons.. We really need a defensive coach that could teach whole team how to defend.. against a team like barca u need to know how to defend.. Anyway i think we had a good game.. But lacked real maturity in some positions of the field when needed
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 am

Fordy wrote:last night the best player in the world had one of the best games off his life, when that happens the team he plays against loses and its as simple as that.

your all football fans and i know it hurts to see your team lose but you watched history been made last night and in 20 years people will talk about messi like pele and maradona and people will remember this game.

That about sums up how I feel this morning.

Beaten, but not downhearted.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Galls » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:18 am

Vermaelen is a great cb but I think he needs to play alongside Billy or Sol. Certainly wouldn't say he's the best in the prem, but he's the best we've had for a while.
The turning point was Diaby not passing to theo, could have been 2-0, and wouldn't have led to them going straight back up the pitch on the counter and scoring. May still not have won tho, and probably wouldn't!

I've said it before, and tho I really don't like slagging our players off (I firmly believe that wenger knows his players better than we do!) but I just don't feel it with diaby. It seems every game he does something that has me holding my head in my hands. Please can someone explain it to me. I only remember him having a stormer on one occasion - against sprus when he was through the middle. I keep hoping he's going to do the same and I just don't see it.

Still cross about the calibre of the reffing last night - not that I think we lost because of it or anything - but for a game of that magnitude it really was unacceptable. Seems to be we see the same argument over and over. I am still shaking my head at that perfect tackle by denilson resulting in a yellow. Won't be the last time I'm sure. I'm also still shaking my head that players of the calibre of messi have to dive. Why? No need at all. He showed when he stopped playacting that he's a fantastic player so i really don't get it.

I hope that the lads will get chance to look over the game and see where they went wrong as well, lots to be learned I think.

We really need a defensive minded midfielder, missed song an awful lot last night.

Still onwards and upwards, got spurs to look forward to next week. Am damn sure they are due a hiding, let's just hope we've enough fit players left to give them one to remember!

Am now hoping for a Lyon win, because wouldn't that be nice, someone other than the usual suspects?

ps. In hindsight I think me and my hubby might be at fault for the loss, we had a chinese last night while we watched the game. Didn't bode well for us at the Final in 06 either. I did say it wasn't a good idea! So apologies :)
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Q8 Gooner » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:25 am

There were 2 turning points for me.. at 1-0 diaby didn't pass to theo when he would have been through and maybe 2-0.. the second was the disgraceful offside decision on bendy when he was through one on one at 1-1 i think..!! The ref was awful..!! giving a free kick for barcelona everytime a player falls down or the crowd screams..!! But as Galls said we still might not have won anyway..
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Galls » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 am

I forgot about that offside decision. Really shocking.
yea, we might not have won but it would have been nice to have a fair playing field wouldn't it.
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Dejan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:33 am

With a good f***ing defense Messi was unable to score all of those goals!! ffs
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 am

Q8 Gooner wrote:There were 2 turning points for me.. at 1-0 diaby didn't pass to theo when he would have been through and maybe 2-0.. the second was the disgraceful offside decision on bendy when he was through one on one at 1-1 i think..!! The ref was awful..!! giving a free kick for barcelona everytime a player falls down or the crowd screams..!! But as Galls said we still might not have won anyway..

What comes around goes around.

Your goal last night was clearly a free kick to Barca. Barca had just been given 2 weak ones though about a minute before which were never free kicks. The one that was though, came good for you!

I'm not moaning about it before Smooth or whatever he's f***ing called follows me around the forum calling me a troll. I'm just saying.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Q8 Gooner » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
Q8 Gooner wrote:There were 2 turning points for me.. at 1-0 diaby didn't pass to theo when he would have been through and maybe 2-0.. the second was the disgraceful offside decision on bendy when he was through one on one at 1-1 i think..!! The ref was awful..!! giving a free kick for barcelona everytime a player falls down or the crowd screams..!! But as Galls said we still might not have won anyway..

What comes around goes around.

Your goal last night was clearly a free kick to Barca. Barca had just been given 2 weak ones though about a minute before which were never free kicks. The one that was though, came good for you!

I'm not moaning about it before Smooth or whatever he's f***ing called follows me around the forum calling me a troll. I'm just saying.

Come on Yorky..!! Diaby clearly got the ball..!! Wasn't a free kick.. But as i said it might not have mattered anyway.. But if these ref mistakes were in a different game i would have been mad..
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:49 am

Fordy wrote:last night the best player in the world had one of the best games off his life, when that happens the team he plays against loses and its as simple as that.

Nail & Head.

Still feeling deflated this morning, gutted, and if im honest, deep down my head said we were going out, my heart said otherwise.
Even if we had been lucky enough to put out a full strength team, beating barca on thier own turf would have been no easy feat.
IMO we made the same mistakes as the 1st leg even if the 1st half wasnt as high tempo, again we gave them far too much space, do that against barca & you get punished, as we did.

At the end of the day we got beaten by the better team, Messi & Xavi being the key men. If Messi dont get World Player then i dont know who will, its hard to even think about who could possibly come close to him atm, Although last night i called him all manner of things & none of which were complimentary.

Obviously gutted, but Congratulations to Barca, now i want them to go & win it.
There is no shame in losing to a team of such quality who are the current CL holders, Still proud of us getting as far as we did & the solitary goal we scored, (after which i temporarily lost my voice), must have been very bitter sweet for Nik.

Just hope now that the lads dont dwell on this exit & come back fighting, yids next and we cant drop points against the scum.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 am

You want them to win it? Credit where its due but they are a scummy team who must have every ref in their pocket.

Personally i would mind seeing Lyon going and winning it.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 am

There's no question barca deserved it thoroughly over 2 legs - but I feel despite the scoreline we had way more of the game last night then the leg before which we spent most of running aroundlike headless chickens. If it hadn't been for messi then things might have been different though with our depleted team I'm still not 100% convinced. The scoreline certainly wouldn't have been so huge anyway without him. I felt we list to messi last night - not barca. They were the better team but like many I felt the ref had a shocker (not that him having a good game would have made much difference but I was amazed at the barca dives - they don't need to play like that) barca outplayed us at our own game over 2 legs - they were awesome, even keeping henry on the bench! He'd have been a starter if he stayed with us! I hope barca go and tank man utd in the final and that we can backlash nicely against the spuds. Not as despondant as I though I would be seeing as save messi I thought the game in terms if possession etc much more equal last night and I would far rather go out to barca then an English team.

Anyone else think rosicky had s shocker though?
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 am

Excuse the typos above - posting from my phone!
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10