Arsenal Vs Barcelona | Champions League QF 31/03/2010

Re: Arsenal Vs Barcelona | Champions League QF 31/03/2010

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:45 am

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:One good thing is that Guardiola said that the first 45 minutes of that match was the best his team have played since he took the job.If that's the case and it was still 0-0 at half time then it shows how well we played to keep them out.
Maybe they can't repeat that level of intensity just a few days later....?

...and probably the worst arsenal outfield performance this season, no wonder Barca fans were laughing on that site linked. It was only Almunia that kept us in the game in the 1st 20 mins or so. :lipssealed:

Yeah we were poor, and part of the reason is because we were overawed by them. Big team, big names, massive media hype - maybe it got to them?
I can't imagine that happening again though. We've shown that they're human, they make mistakes and you can score against them if you're determined enough.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:50 am

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:One good thing is that Guardiola said that the first 45 minutes of that match was the best his team have played since he took the job.If that's the case and it was still 0-0 at half time then it shows how well we played to keep them out.

...and probably the worst arsenal outfield performance this season, no wonder Barca fans were laughing on that site linked. It was only Almunia that kept us in the game in the 1st 20 mins or so. :lipssealed:

I was shocked at how badly we played, or how well they played, or the combination of the two... depending on how you want to look at it.

That first half was the most domination 0-0 half I have ever seen in my life. Even after our late turn around the stats for the game were something like 65-35 pos and we were out shot by like a 5:1 margin. :dizzy:

I still can't believe we turned that around. I never would have dreamed it after seeing the gulf in class the first hour of that match... :clap:
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:52 am

I have being saying that even though we were destroyed for a large part of the game, a weakness of theirs surfaced: they were knackered after an hour of that high intensity football and even though we couldn't make subs so were at a disadvantage there, our players are used to high paced, 90 minute battles week in week out.

Our team's stamina far exceeds theirs. It's a small advantage but it's something. If week could manage extra time....
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:52 am

Inchpractice wrote:
She_Gunner_Wales wrote:

Yeah we were poor, and part of the reason is because we were overawed by them. Big team, big names, massive media hype - maybe it got to them?
I can't imagine that happening again though. We've shown that they're human, they make mistakes and you can score against them if you're determined enough.

Most definatley, hope Theo starts, he gave them problems, shame we havent really got anyone to match his pace, unless we stick Clichy on the wing!? ...... (JOKES!) ;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 am

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Most definatley, hope Theo starts, he gave them problems, shame we havent really got anyone to match his pace, unless we stick Clichy on the wing!? ...... (JOKES!) ;)

No-one on the planet can match Theo's pace, but Traore is the fastest winger we have bar Theo.
Problem is Clichy is injured at the moment so Traore will have to play left back, well against Wolves he will.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Libertine » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:20 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:I have being saying that even though we were destroyed for a large part of the game, a weakness of theirs surfaced: they were knackered after an hour of that high intensity football and even though we couldn't make subs so were at a disadvantage there, our players are used to high paced, 90 minute battles week in week out.

That's a good point CG.

If the game is in the balance with the hour mark passed, i think we can make it a very uncomfortable ending for them.
Especially as it's inconceivable that we'll have had to use subs early on again.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Most definatley, hope Theo starts, he gave them problems, shame we havent really got anyone to match his pace, unless we stick Clichy on the wing!? ...... (JOKES!) ;)

No-one on the planet can match Theo's pace, but Traore is the fastest winger we have bar Theo.
Problem is Clichy is injured at the moment so Traore will have to play left back, well against Wolves he will.

Another who has reoccuring injury probs with his back, read somewhere he isnt out completely but will need a rest, so cant see him starting tomorrow so he should be fine for Barca.

I really like Traore but i dont think he is ready for a game of this calibre, unless we have no choice. Lets not tempt fate! ;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Q8 Gooner » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:03 am

Barca r shit.. It took them 70 mins to do what we did in 20 mins..!! It show the difference in class
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Goose » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:48 am

That's how Barca play, they can't keep that up for long, it's the same in La Liga, they try kill games off early then tun out of steam and they are the masters of conceding late goals as much as are masters of scoring late goals.

Also, the more they attack, the more they leave space at the back and they play with a very high line.

Marquez and Millito their replacement CBs have just returned from ling term injurires, one was out for nearly 2 years, I am sure our attack can rip them apart on the counter.

Wenger showed he was the better tactician, let's see what he can pull out the hat on Tuesday
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Popey » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:11 am

Q8 Gooner wrote:Barca r shit.. It took them 70 mins to do what we did in 20 mins..!! It show the difference in class

:clap: good one

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Fabby » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:32 am

Popey wrote:
Q8 Gooner wrote:Barca r shit.. It took them 70 mins to do what we did in 20 mins..!! It show the difference in class

:clap: good one

Yeahhh.
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Goose wrote:Wenger showed he was the better tactician, let's see what he can pull out the hat on Tuesday

I disagree. Pep sent out his team with a gameplan and if not for amazing goalkeeping the game would have been won within 20 minutes. Wenger apparently just sent out our team with no tactics at all. Just told em to 'play their game' or whatever. Against Barcelona, madness. We had no gameplan at all, we were winging it

Of course what you say about them getting tired is true, let's hope we are still in the game by 60-70 mins.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Myrmedus » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:12 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
She_Gunner_Wales wrote:

I definitely think this was the case because it's my opinion that the turn-around occurred not because of a player but because of a scoreline: when we went 2-0 down the game started to change even before Walcott came on. It was like being 2-0, being down and out, just took the pressure off our team and instead of being awed and intimidated they just said "f**k it, we've got nothing to lose now anyway" and just came out fighting.

When I watched the first half I was about as angry as I have been watching a football match - even as angry as I was watching the second half of Man U (A) this season - because I knew we were better than this. The commentators kept going on about "OMFG BARCA SO AWSUM" in an attempt to get in their pants it seemed, but I sat there thinking "Yeah, ok, they're playing so well but they're being ALLOWED to play well because we're playing poorly!" - and it wasn't even like we were just poor due to uncontrollable reasons: we were lazy! You can't always control whether you play expert passes or score 40-yard wonder goals but you can control whether you close people down and hurry them when off the ball. We barely closed them down at all whereas we couldn't get the ball without a yellow shirt being joint at the hip to the Arsenal player in possession - there was no pressure being put on their players and it was like our team was completely fatigued or something. What allowed Barca to dominate so much wasn't actually their attacking play at all but their play off the ball which we didn't reciprocate.

However, the second that 2nd Barca goal went in we started actually playing with some intensity and urgency, both on and off the ball, and we absolutely destroyed them from there on - I sat there watching the game just saying "Why didn't we play like this from the beginning?! We probably would've won the game for God's sakes!"

Fortunately we got back, and I actually don't place a huge amount of significance in Barca's away goals because let's be honest, do you see a 0-0 or even a 1-1 happening at Nou Camp? It would've been great if we could've won it 3-2 but meh. If the team can take that experience with them to the Nou Camp, and just remember that Barca are mortal, then we have a good chance IMO. People keep saying how the Nou Camp has such a big pitch etc. but what they seem to forget is that it works both ways: a big pitch is great for us too.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooner90 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:21 pm

record attendace at emirates vs united something like 60,161, todays attendance vs wolves just over 60,000 and bbc say the attendance vs barca was about 59,572 or something like that?? everyone wanted tickets to this game and I never heard the attendance called out at the game anyone know if thats right?? would suprise me if it is, its not that important i know but just suprised me if it is
gooner90
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Q8 Gooner » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:56 am

Ibrasonofthebitch is out of the game.. Good or bad?! :think:
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10