Birmingham Vs Arsenal | Premiership 27/03/2010

Re: Birmingham Vs Arsenal | Premiership 27/03/2010

Postby Massa » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Almunia has already cost us many points, if we lost the title most of the blame would have to go to him anyway.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby niko197 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:21 pm

:disgust:
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Massa wrote:Almunia has already cost us many points, if we lost the title most of the blame would have to go to him anyway.

not really as its a team game and we have been culpable of squandering many chances and our attacking players not appearing in certain games and silly defensive mistakes.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Leody » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:44 pm

B_G, no offense... but you're a fool if you think Almunia is a keeper that will ever win any silverware.

It is a team game, you're right... and a chain is only as strong as the weakest link and Almunia is the weakest link.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:47 pm

And on top of that... He's playing on one of the best attacking teams in the league.

Before the midweek games and this weekend we were the highest scoring team in the league. What more do you want the rest of the team to do?
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Leody wrote:B_G, no offense... but you're a fool if you think Almunia is a keeper that will ever win any silverware.

It is a team game, you're right... and a chain is only as strong as the weakest link and Almunia is the weakest link.

i didnt say that he is a keeper good enough to win a title but that he isn't the sole reason. Its a team game and to pin it on ONE player is ludicrous at best.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Just about to post this on a blog and thought I might as well pop it in here too.

I agree with you about most of the stuff, but as PD said I just cannot get my head around Almunia's fumble. It's not by any means the first time he's done something like that, but that howler takes the cake for me. With Szczesny earning rave reviews for his latest performance for Brentford, I'm looking forward to seeing him, or one of the other alternatives, in between the sticks for us instead of Almunia.

I also thought Rosicky perhaps warranted a higher rating - in the first half I thought he was superb and really helped us get into our stride, and he was quite good second half too.

Just those couple of missed chances that really got on my nerves - Nasri was too unselfish, and Arshavin was too.. well... rubbish, if only momentarily. I thought Steven Carr should have gone for bringing Shava down cynically as he was about to perhaps lob Hart, who was off of his line and struggling to get back.... Gardner should have been booked about 67,205,104 times, and a lot of their players including Gardner were diving all over the place.

Another setback, but many were saying how against Stoke we did the opposite of what happened at St Andrews to Eduardo, in terms of responding to Ramsey, hopefully we'll respond equally differently to the last minute leveller, and come back stronger.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Leody » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:54 pm

He's our weakest link.

Period.

You're right to say that losing the title is not his fault if we lose, but he should take the brunt of the blame and should be the first to be "upgraded". Because he is the weakest link, that I don't think can be debated too much...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Yeah, other players have cost us points but none more so than Almunia, I'm sure he's cost us the most points this season in terms of errors.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby robblps » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Just got home from the game. You cant win the league without a good keeper. We could do with spending alot of money in the summer on getting some safe hands back there. Joe Hart, or that Lyon keeper is wicked too.

As for today..........what I find super frustrating lately is watching Arshavin. Great player........comes on for like 20 mins..........then doesnt really seem to try 100%. Never really chases, at one monent we were 1-0 up, ball goes out for a goal kick. They take it quickly, Arshavin is just walking back casually.

But yeah.........Almunia major issue. Today again at Birmingham, blew it for us in my eyes. gutted
robblps
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:07 pm

the problem is while Almunia is not a title winning keeper can you honestly see Wenger buying another keeper who is READY to be number 1.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockin' Robin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:11 pm

Sadly not, we've got three 'keepers with potential, but whilst they're not ready to fulfil that potential, Wenger will see no reason to plug the gap short term by spending £5million+ so will stick with Moon ya.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Leody » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:21 pm

I agree B_G, I don't think Wenger will buy... But I also don't think we'll win anything with Big Al or Flappy...

I really honest to God hope I'm wrong on one of the two of those. I don't care which, but this is one time I really don't want to be right.

There are certain things that you just can't learn no matter how much you play and how much experience you have. I just have to have it in you to win, make the right decisions under pressure and be able to cope with tough situations. I really don't think either of them have it. In my opinion, neither of them are champions and never will be.

You can think I'm being extreme, over the top, pig headed or whatever else you'd like. But both of them have shown time and time again that they can't handle the big game, they make stupid errors repetitively and just don't have what it takes. Mannone is the only keeper in our current squad I want to see being apart of this club in the long-term, but he isn't ready to be #1 and won't be for awhile. And that Sneezy guy that I really don't know anything about...

It really is a sad situation when I'm convinced of these two things:

We can't win with Almunia and he is the best option we have.

Please throw these words back in my face in May. I would LOVE to eat them.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:34 pm

yeah I know, and its kinda annoying because every other place on the field their is improvement and I feel that this squad will win a trophy sooner rather than later as their are very good signs but the one position that seems to be going backwards is the goalkeeper. I mean last year Almunia was one of our top 5 players (however very few players performed) but now you expect at least1 flap again and i never feel confident with the way he deals with corners.

Also a side note on the goal, It was just a punt up field and why was it not dealt with before it go to Philips. (thats not deflecting blame form Almunia cos he still should of saved it.)

However for me the positives from the game was Rosicky. The way he controlled the ball and was winning it in midfield was amazing and was our player for the first half and its great seeing his recovery.
Last edited by Bristol_Gunner on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby IMF » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Arshavins 19th miss in 2010. Sell him.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR