Hull City Vs Arsenal | Premiership 13/03/2010

Re: Hull City Vs Arsenal | Premiership 13/03/2010

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:01 am

As well as Sol's tackle being accurate, sliding and with the ball on the ground, the other big difference was that Sols challenge was appropriate for the situation when Shawcrosses wasn't.

I agree you PG, that certainly did help the situation. The referee must have said something too as we barely saw a sniff of a bad challenge on us in the second half.

and you know what pisses me off as well.... when Hull realised they had to play football they played really well and had their best periods of play despite having 10 men. Also when they beat us at our place they played good football. It shows they can do it but ues the scummy way out of choice, that says so much about them.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:05 am

Leody wrote:Yeah, they were similar in the fact that they were both tackles... like a Ford Pinto and a Lamborghini Gallardo are similar in the fact that they are both cars. :lol:

Exactly.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby djaxster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:11 am

Bendy Bendy Bendy
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goose » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:12 am

Your missing the point I was making

They were both fast, hard challenges

But I said Sol's was low and won the ball.

Whereas Shawcross came in high and took Ramsey's leg.

But they were both, fast and hard, thats where the similarity was.

The point I was making is that Sol showed the right way to do it.
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:15 am

Goose wrote:Your missing the point I was making

They were both fast, hard challenges

But I said Sol's was low and won the ball.

Whereas Shawcross came in high and took Ramsey's leg.

But they were both, fast and hard, thats where the similarity was.

The point I was making is that Sol showed the right way to do it.

Absolutely, he showed that you have to get it right. If you are not capable of doing it right like Shawcross then you should stop doing them, even if it makes you a worse player as it is dangerous.

I am amazed at Sol this season, the contributions he has made considering his age and the manner he left the club last time have been a suprising blessing.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:18 am

Yeah but c'mon, Sol is one of the best defenders the PL has ever seen. Could Shawcross have made a hard but fair tackle like that? Probably not
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:20 am

I just giving you a hard time Goose, I know what you meant.

They were both hard tackles, one was done correctly and one was a mess.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goose » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:23 am

Sol has proved he still has it in him to perform at this high level, he might struggle to play twice a week and he has a lack of pace (not as bad as Silvestre's though), but his positioning and knack of making the right challenge at the right time is spot on.

Plus, he doesnt make forward runs like Gallas to leave us exposed and Vermaelen is hanging back as well now, we already have the best attack, we dont need the defenders to join in.
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby gooner90 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:36 am

sols been great much better than sylvestre and he uses his mouth and talks to the players even after the match, that challenge today absolutely nothing wrong with it, wasnt even a free kick in my opinion feet down won the ball didnt really show studs either and to be honest hardly court him I think he made a bit of a meal out of it

The game though playing against 10 men for 45 mins.... they just wanted to pass it into the box which wasnt going to happen as it was crowded, like they were afraid to shoot from outside the box again and eventually denilson created the goal by having a long distance shot, you never know it can deflect etc and like today came back out for bendtner cant tell you how relieved I am to walk away with the 3 points there :)
Was furious when nasri took walcotts pass away from diaby... that surely would have been a goal and lot less pressure

Think I would of taken off nasri instead of eboue today
gooner90
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:27 am

Chill out Goose, was just busting those meaty chops of yours mate ;)

I agree about Sol's pace but as Merson so eloquently put it when we signed him, he doesn't need it, because his positioning and tactical awareness will always leave him 2 steps ahead of the attacker, and if he does get caught out, he has enough to get back and tackle.

It looks like he could be pivotal in Gallas's absence, with him likely to be out for a month or longer, and Campbell is just going to get better and better, he is 35 yes but IMO he has proven his fitness to no end, he is an absolute machine, who IMO, deserves to end his career with us.

Done enough IMO, to show that he deserves AT LEAST a years extension.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby mg86 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

gunngunn wrote:Chill out Goose, was just busting those meaty chops of yours mate ;)

I agree about Sol's pace but as Merson so eloquently put it when we signed him, he doesn't need it, because his positioning and tactical awareness will always leave him 2 steps ahead of the attacker, and if he does get caught out, he has enough to get back and tackle.

It looks like he could be pivotal in Gallas's absence, with him likely to be out for a month or longer, and Campbell is just going to get better and better, he is 35 yes but IMO he has proven his fitness to no end, he is an absolute machine, who IMO, deserves to end his career with us.

Done enough IMO, to show that he deserves AT LEAST a years extension.

He deserves another title. I want this to happen once again:

Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Galls » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 am

But what's interesting about the Campbell tackle is that until Keegan and le Beouf said it was a good challenge it was almost as if the commentators were insinuating that it should have been a second yellow. Well, in fact he shouldn't have been on the pitch anyhow becasue he should have been sent off for the penalty.

Bout time they let ref's interpret that rule appropriately, as Mariner did yesterday (about the only decision i agreed with I have to say)
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Briggsy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:18 am

I noticed John Champion was doing everything to slag of Sol yesterday! The penalty incident which was clumsy i quote ' Campbell was caught out ' sorry but if a guy is a yard in front of you in a offside position the Attackers been caught out sadly it was the Lino who was caught out! Because of that Bob (f**k spelling his name) was given an advantage. But there was other snipes throughout the game for Campbell. But no doubt Campbell's signing was a stroke of Wengers genius
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby dunkdafunk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:44 am

who would have thought a player about to retire could still show so much class.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Q8 Gooner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:53 am

Sol has been immense.. He has it in him.. If u noticed how he celebrated at final whistle.. It shows how much he missed it..
Bendtner has been pure class since coming back from injury.. He looks like a genuine striker now..
As for Theo.. I see great signs of improvement.. he came on yesterday and changed the game..
Great win.. Keep it going u reds..
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10