Chelsea Vs Arsenal | Premiership 07/02/10

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | Premiership 07/02/10

Postby Gooner Girl » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Well - that was crap. No killer instinct, missing van persie hugely - WHY didn't wenger buy a striker? Drogba is a clinical finisher but we were all over them in The second half - poor crossing and the lack of striker mainly to blame for us losing this. Really think we are out of the title race now. :-(
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:18 pm

The Massa Machine wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
Sean_c wrote:This is why Wenger should have treated the F.A. cup better

So he should've played our best eleven in the FA Cup just to make 200% sure that they were tired for the next Prem game which was 3 days later against Aston Villa away?

Man Utd dont feel the need to rest players in the domestic cups, nor do Chelsea.

But Manure did rest players....
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Gunflash » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Another big game, another failure. It's becoming a refrain. Since Van Persie ambushed Chelsea last season, we've had one draw and EIGHT defeats against the two teams we're allegedly meant to be challenging in the title race. We had absolutely no answer to Chelsea's massed defence. I lost count of the amount of balls that were played through and cut out. We may have dominated the play but Chelsea were clinical. Drogba again. How many more times Arsene? Our crossing was poor and there were no shots. Walcott and Arshavin were especially poor. We could still be playing now and we wouldn't score. Nasri's dithering threw away our best chance of getting back in the game Suicidal defending did for us at the other end. Was Cech ever seriously threatened? I don't think so. Wenger talks about us being a different animal but he is so wrong. Ever since he threw the FA Cup, it's been one point from nine. Talk of the title is delusional. Right now, the best we can do is try and hold third place.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Popey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:26 pm

the horrible thing about this game is that chelsea were not really good but we were just shit.

the whole deffence was shit today. cesc and diaby were the only one who played a good-average game.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:
PS not to name names, but clichy came off the post for the first goal, and for the second goal he was turned easier than Wayne Bridges bird

Clichy should take part blame for the goal, but Shava was the one who was the main culprit, had he not been a lazy t**t, then Clichy would not have had to come off his line to cover Cesc, while Clichy was trying to be in 2 different places at the same time & had Arshavin done his job then Clichy wouldnt have come off his line and the area would have been covered. simples.

Some people might slate me for this, and maybe its knee jerk i dunno, but Arshavin is increasingly frustrating me with his laziness lately, you'd swear the bloke was bloody bone idle!

Fair enough we had loads of possession & we played better than we did against the mancs, but we are a team that have been challenging & today there are no excuses.

The difference between us & Chelsea was they could finish their chances better, while at this rate we wont even finish our dinner!
Im f***ked off with us trying to play pretty football, yeah its nice & entertaining to watch, but it does not work against sides like Chelsea, id rather us go back to Boring Boring Arsenal as a plan B, and hoof the damn ball upfield and take more shots from outside the box, today.....again....we tried to walk it in.

Frustrated aint the word. :BangHead:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Myrmedus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:17 pm

It's all about diversity again...the exact same conversation came up when we played Chelsea at the Emirates. You need to have diverse attack options to be a truly great team, in addition to being able to actually defend. It doesn't matter how good our Plan A is, as long as it's our only way of attacking we will come unstuck in big games.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Myrmedus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Sean_c wrote:Wenger is too stubborn when it comes to tactics. Why does he refuse to adapt his formation against top 4 teams

The stubbornness is more in the refusal to build a team with a variety of different types of player. We lack stern, physical players and we lack players with a real cutting edge with the exception of RvP. Because of that we can't adapt our tactics adequately and so every time we face a team with quality and tactics setup to counter us we come unstuck.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 pm

Arshavin is definitely lazy, against the Mancs and against the Chavs when went a couple of goals down he gives up and vanishes from the game, but TBH he probably knows its a lost cause lol

Theres no point having a team full of flair players if they dont graft and work like Rooney, Tevez or Bellamy
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Myrmedus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Goose wrote:Arshavin is definitely lazy, against the Mancs and against the Chavs when went a couple of goals down he gives up and vanishes from the game, but TBH he probably knows its a lost cause lol

Theres no point having a team full of flair players if they dont graft and work like Rooney, Tevez or Bellamy

This is my main concern with Arshavin. As harsh as this may sound he seems to have the mentality of a loser. When things are going well he's great but the second the chips are down and you have to dig deep he turns invisible...you don't win anything with that kind of attitude.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Remember, he is being played out of position, so I don't blame his lack of form on him. Bendtner has to be in the starting line up Wednesday.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Myrmedus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:00 pm

I know, that's why it's a little hard to tell, but I'm not talking about his general performance so much as his effort.

You could play Rooney at right back and he'd still give 100% even if he was crap...I feel that the second Arshavin realises he's less effective than usual he throws in the towel. The problem is that even if he's only 50% as effective as he would be in the correct position, 50% is better than 0%.

Can anyone tell me why we didn't play Bendtner from the start today anyway? We looked a better team when he came on and Arshavin could've played back in his normal position....
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Myrmedus wrote:I know, that's why it's a little hard to tell, but I'm not talking about his general performance so much as his effort.

You could play Rooney at right back and he'd still give 100% even if he was crap...I feel that the second Arshavin realises he's less effective than usual he throws in the towel. The problem is that even if he's only 50% as effective as he would be in the correct position, 50% is better than 0%.

Can anyone tell me why we didn't play Bendtner from the start today anyway? We looked a better team when he came on and Arshavin could've played back in his normal position....

I've been disappointed with Arshavin lately as well. I don't think he's been the same since Russia were knocked out of the WC.

As for Bendtner, I can only assume that the boss felt he was too far from being properly match sharp to start him today.
Luck and timing plays a big part in these vital games and if Bendtner had come back a few weeks ago like he was supposed to he would be match fit by now and some of those crosses today might've been converted into chances or goals.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Lively away fans

Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby rodney » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:13 am

In the Arsene Wenger a thread there was a member on here who moaned that it isn't like the old days. Where we were shit and you could stand up and there was great atmosphere.

Well I was at the game and only a few seats along from the guy who posted the video on youtube. We were stood all game as per usual and the atmosphere was bloody amazing. The flair was crazy and it probably went over the top with the seats being smashed the banging and the police, but it made for one hell of an atmosphere. The throwing stuff at Cole was what he deserved the c***.

We were shite. I don't care if we dominated that means f**k all. Same old mistakes and then of course when you have the likes of Walcott and Almunia in the side. A striker who isn't a striker and is 5ft 7 and up against Terry and Carvalho.

Utter shite, but too many fans support the manager and not the club and things will continue like this until that changes.
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Gunflash » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:35 am

Surely the fact that we "dominated" and ended up losing, with barely a worthy chance, is a damning indictment of the team? Arsenal's defending was really poor. Wenger doesn't teach defence because he thinks the attack can carry the day. Not on the basis of today's ineffectual performance it can't. Wenger needs to take a good look at himself because Arsenal Football Club shouldn't be one man's vanity project.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10