Arsenal Vs Everton | Premiership 09/01/10

Re: Arsenal Vs Everton | Premiership 09/01/10

Postby Myrmedus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:27 pm

gzagee wrote:
gunngunn wrote:What i think Mermaid is trying to say, is that Chelsea have a lot more variety in their attack, we only have one way of attacking.

Thus Chelsea are better equipped to deal with whatever they go up against, which IMO, is completely true.

I completely understand his point but what I'm trying to say is that for all the quality at their disposal they're only a point ahead of us. One point.
Despite our lack of resources.
Hopefully (and I'm confident AW will spend) that will be rectified.
But let's not get all gloom n doom for only getting a point at home to Everton. When we lost at home to H*ll last season. With a better line-up!!

That's because 4-4-2-Diamond is shit when it's the only formation you play! xD

Naw I think we've overperformed this season and Chelsea have underperformed. If we can bring ourselves closer to their level as a squad (which we can it just depends on AW getting his finger out) then we'll destroy them IMO.
Last edited by Myrmedus on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Irish_Gooner » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Say what yous want to say about the perfomance but surely there has to be some kudos to the team they way they came from behind twice. It could have been much worse I.E conceded and not have responded
Irish_Gooner - Once a gooner, always a gooner. Follow me on twitter @Oisgreg
Irish_Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GunnGunn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:28 pm

True Gza, our technical play despite being so one dimensional is so effective most of the time, but a new striker in a Drogba esc mould, could add a completely new dimension, someone who can score off a long ball etc or someone good enough to score off of Sagna's ridiculous cross ins.

We need a plan B for when teams do what Everton and Chelsea did, which is pack the midfield, force us to throw players up and then hit us where it hurts, as set pieces and on the break.

Given that Bendtner is back in 2 weeks, my confidence of signing a striker has dwindled considerably and if this game is anything to go by we absolutely must replace Song.

Still we will see how it goes, i would just prefer signings now, rather than later when things could snowball.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Myrmedus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:33 pm

gunngunn wrote:True Gza, our technical play despite being so one dimensional is so effective most of the time, but a new striker in a Drogba esc mould, could add a completely new dimension, someone who can score off a long ball etc or someone good enough to score off of Sagna's ridiculous cross ins.

We need a plan B for when teams do what Everton and Chelsea did, which is pack the midfield, force us to throw players up and then hit us where it hurts, as set pieces and on the break.

Given that Bendtner is back in 2 weeks, my confidence of signing a striker has dwindled considerably and if this game is anything to go by we absolutely must replace Song.

Still we will see how it goes, i would just prefer signings now, rather than later when things could snowball.

And I'll combine those two points to further illustrate where Arsenal can/could be: our one-dimensional play is that good that it works in most games so can you imagine how good we'd be if we had that additional dimension? And what's more: this isn't something as integral or difficult as improving an entire style of play, it's purely injecting individual capability into the team. We can do that quite easily by signing a couple of players but can Chelsea improve their general play (ie. do the reverse of what we need to do)? Possibly but I'm sure it'd be 10x harder.

My main fear is if AW is being blind through enthrallment over his team's 'total football' and doesn't want to 'disrupt' that by adding some 'dirty' physical capability! I hope I'm proven resoundingly wrong. This could be a pivotal season - if we get the players we need we can go on to win the title, I'm confident of that seeing how well we're doing short-handed (no pun intended!). And if we win the title this season it means we keep alot of the best players we have, leading potential to more and more trophies in the long-term.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby IMF » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:37 pm

I hope the Bolton game is called off. The longer our real players have to recover the better. That midfield was rubbish today. Diaby forgot to pass forward (did he shave his beard?) and had a shocker compared to his previous 2 performances. He looked uninterested like before. I couldn't see from up on the roof but has he shaved his magic beard?

Rambo's touch was pants very pants and lost so much possession.

Denilson was Denilson

Sagna no point in you getting forward son just to pass it backwards. We went up the right side about 25 times and up the left about 4 times. Both sides produced the same amount of chances. Go figure.

Almunia is a clown. Why he didn't go for the header is beyond me and was it necessary for him to come out and clatter Traore and ruin the chance of our last attack??

Arshavin at one point missed the ball and it went off for a throw in and was just having a cry for along time.

Where's the commitment in the team???
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Myrmedus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:42 pm

To be fair I think commitment/spirit-wise we were ok overall because to claw it back to 2-2 was something typical of title-winners (see Man Utd). Having said that I agree that we were missing power in important parts of the field and we need to try the left side more when we attack because Traore is a much better crosser of the ball than Sagna.

I bet CSKA Fulham fans are rubbing their hands together today.... We drop 2 points in a home game and Man Utd losing at Birmingham.

Actually that's another point for my argument aswell: I feel our poor away form (which it is if you consider our home form) is another example of our lack of options. In away games you often don't stamp your authority as well so you nick those games with individual performances and having multiple options, like scoring goals from set-pieces.

Edit: f***ing MAN UTD. You see this kind of controversial luck BS? Typical Man Utd.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby mel4 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:05 pm

niko197 wrote:
simsuk wrote:This match just shows that we need a proven goalscorer up front. Wenger needs to blow the cash on a high calibre player such as Villa or Dzeko. I don't want to rely on Walcott, who should be sold for a packet of crisps.

you haven't watch the game mate, if you had you would know that the midfield was disgrace today, we hardly even came in position to score.

we have to be honest, without song and fabregas, with disappointing ramsey, denilson and nasri we can't beat anyone. everton was better team and we're lucky with the one point.

...and some here fans at the beginning of the season thought me mad when I said Song is Light years(ok may be not :)) ahead of Denilson.

When u need a good crunchy tackle..we have got a Song
when u need some show of confidence in the defensive midfield - we have got a Song
when u need someone to cover for rampaging Gallas - we have got a Song
when u need someone to make 6-18 yrd box-thru passes - we have got a Song...

ok...Lets go get a striker immediately

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Goonerfromnevis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks to Birmingham the point we got today was a good point.
Goonerfromnevis
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Q8 Gooner » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:49 am

Nobody played well yesterday.. But Traore, Almunia were the worst!! The hardly done anything right the whole game!!
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheLittleMozart » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:15 am

Overall we played terrible yesterday and Im pissed off that we never took advantage of Chelsea not playing.

Half our team didn't turn up, Traore especially had a howler. But adding to that our midfield had no forward drive apart from when Diaby decided to give it a go and upfront we had nothing.
Eduardo was poor yet again as was Arshavin, but to be fair I think thier struggling becuase they are just being shurgged off the ball as we dont have a RVP or Bendy to give us a bit of presence up there.

We were lucky to escpae with a draw,but I mean for fucks sake where was the defence for thier second?! Nasri was the closest man to Peinaar!
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:34 am

could be a very important point for us, keeps us within 3 points of chelsea, and we have better goal difference, in other words, we could be one win away from being top of the league

everton arent a bad team they drew with chelsea at the bridge with half a team, they had some players back yesterday plus donovan, and i expect them to climb the league quickly now

missing alot of first teamers, and their "first subs", i dont need to list them, and when your having an off day, and to come back and nick an undeserving point in the last minute, is a positive

up the arse!
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby maslo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36 am

i was dissapointed with the result but really it is a good point, everton played well didnt allow us the space and the conditions got so tough towards the end players were saying they couldnt see properly. Lots of teams would waste away in those conditions and resign themselves to the loss but we fought back and equalised.
thanks to the brum we have been let off the hook abit but to be honest i think its bad luck to play the game then as that was sort of our game in hand and therefore we played it in far tougher conditions than the teams around us had for their 20th league games.

still unbeaten since chelsea,
maslo
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 am

Well at least Cesc and Clichy will be back next week and Bendy should return the week after

Traore had a bad game, but I think it is because Donavon was so good and turned him inside out
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:21 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:could be a very important point for us, keeps us within 3 points of chelsea, and we have better goal difference, in other words, we could be one win away from being top of the league

everton arent a bad team they drew with chelsea at the bridge with half a team, they had some players back yesterday plus donovan, and i expect them to climb the league quickly now

missing alot of first teamers, and their "first subs", i dont need to list them, and when your having an off day, and to come back and nick an undeserving point in the last minute, is a positive

up the arse!

Thats how I looked at it. And to those who always think our depth is lacking, well our depth has gotten us to where we are this season, because we never have anywherer near a full strength team, so I'm proud of our boys to be honest.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Danny-K- » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:16 pm

I was at the game & thought, in the end, it was a good point. I think last season that is exactly the kind of game we would have lost as our heads would have dropped after their second went in but we battled right till the end & managed to get the draw. A far from convincing performance but a point is a point against a rejuvenated Everton side.
Lets look at the facts - the middle of our midfield was missing (Fab & Song), our first choice left back (Clichey), our first choice attacker (RVP) our goalkeeper is ALWAYS missing (Almunia, sorry, but you are crap).
Lets also look on the positive side. Win our game in hand & we will be second. Beat Chelski (like we did last season ) & we go top. Depressed..?? Not me..!!!

We didn't think he would play on Sunday because he was suspended - that makes me think he has all the qualities to join Arsenal!
Arsene Wenger
Danny-K-
Patrick Vieira

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10