Liverpool Vs Arsenal | Premiership 13/12/09

Re: Liverpool Vs Arsenal | Premiership 13/12/09

Postby Rockin' Robin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:42 am

To be honest, I never thought we were out of the title race.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Rockin' Robin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:54 am

Also, I doubt it has any meaning, but the last time we won at Anfield was the last time we won the league.. good omen, possibly? You never know.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Q8 Gooner » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:56 am

I am still buzzing after yesterday's win and the results of the weekend.. I have watched Arshavin's goal maybe 100 times since the final whistle.. lool.. The lads need to grind it out again at Turf Moor.. Its not going to be easy.. We have seen how good Burnley r at home..
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Via E-Mail, Arsene Wenger wrote:Dear Arsenal Supporter,

I cannot explain what I said at half-time at Anfield on Sunday. I just said to my players that the first half was Liverpool and the second half would be Arsenal.

Liverpool played a pace above us, they won all the 50-50s in the first half and at half time 1-0 was a good result for us. You respond sometimes to what you think a team needs and I always try and be composed in the dressing room. But it is good because after 13 years I can still surprise the players.

Liverpool played very well in that first period and we played with the handbrake because of our fear. That fear was of not winning the big games because we lost against Chelsea and Manchester United. You could see that we brought that into the game.

But once we had nothing to lose in the second half we controlled the game. We were a bit lucky with the first goal and the fear was in Liverpool's camp in the second half. Then we scored an outstanding second goal from Andrey Arshavin and from then on Liverpool's pace dropped. I believe we were not under threat for the whole 45 minutes of the second half.

Andrey surprises the goalkeepers and defenders every time. His foot was injured and he couldn't hit the ball properly on his right foot and didn't practice the whole week nearly. But when he had the chance he still took it. Later I had to take him off because of that. At that moment of the goal he didn't feel the pain.

Sunday was a significant victory for us because I believe that Liverpool are a good side who when they find their confidence they can beat anybody in the league.

Mathematically we are now in a good position with a game in hand. Mentally for us it was a massive game at Liverpool. We knew that with what happened on Saturday, with our rivals losing, we needed to win the game. We knew that before the game started and we did it so that's something positive. Now it's down to consistency. I have said for a long time now the team to win this League will be the team capable of being really consistent. Nobody has been yet. There is a long way to go.

I always said that Chelsea would drop points after our defeat against them and they have. Everybody will drop points because there are so many good teams in this League. Now Liverpool have Gerrard back, Torres back, Aquilani back, I tell you many will drop points at Anfield. They played at a level in the first half that was impressive.

Thanks for your continued support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Danny-K- » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:34 pm

I also am still buzzing after the game & have also watched Arshavins goal a few time today on SSnews.
At half time yesterday I felt our season was all over..... No forwards, no penetration, no chance. If I could have found a cat you can guarantee it would still be flying....
But the second half restored all my faith. Thank you Arsenal for subjecting me to 90 minutes of frustration & joy..!!

We didn't think he would play on Sunday because he was suspended - that makes me think he has all the qualities to join Arsenal!
Arsene Wenger
Danny-K-
Patrick Vieira

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10