Olympiacos Vs Arsenal | Champions League 09/12/09

Re: Olympiacos Vs Arsenal | Champions League 09/12/09

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:18 pm

TBH, I never expected to win, not with a team of mostly 18 year olds, yes Vela should of done better, but hes no way 1st choice striker, more like 4th or 5th and yes, Walcott needs to work on his touch

But were you really expecting a win?
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby thebish » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 pm

Goose wrote:TBH, I never expected to win, not with a team of mostly 18 year olds, yes Vela should of done better, but hes no way 1st choice striker, more like 4th or 5th and yes, Walcott needs to work on his touch

But were you really expecting a win?

if you look in the prediction thread - a majority of predictors were expecting a win, yes...
thebish
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Briggsy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:22 pm

No one knew the squad before the predictions so doesn't really couldn't make a good prediction
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Briggsy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Vela and Walcott ain't had much game time so people having ago should assess that. Cruise got abused a lot! Ramsey and Song was strong! Merryda was alright same as Jack the lad. Joey from friends done well for me
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Forest » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:27 pm

im happy we stood toe to toe with the greek champions, only lost 1-0 and didnt get thumped away from home
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:33 pm

What can i say?

Thought the lads did extremely well to be perfectly honest, and they SHOULD have won by a country mile.

I thought Theo was outstanding, for once he was not shoved out on the wing, he was everywhere, on the left, down the right, down the centre, it was a great display, it was like watching a minature Henry out there and he was lucky not to have a goal or 5.

Kerrea Gilbert will draw the main bulk of my criticism because to be frank he was shite, countless times he was skinned by Leonardo down his left side and one time it resulted in a goal, very much against the run of play.

Ramsey was brilliant, he is so much more direct than Cesc and IMO instead of people comparing the two i think they should both be playing in midfield together.

In all it was good experience for the lads but they need to take their chances, would have been nice to end the night on a high but we topped the group comfortably and Walcott came away unscathed hopefully.

Oh noes, what will Itus, say! It could be my most positive post EVAR!!! And not a mention of AW in sight!!
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Only saw the last 15mins, how did Bartley do? I know he lunged at the ball for their goal, but generally how would you rate his display?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:46 pm

gzagee wrote:Only saw the last 15mins, how did Bartley do? I know he lunged at the ball for their goal, but generally how would you rate his display?

Good, and he is a massive f***er as well :shock:
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:48 pm

gunngunn wrote:
gzagee wrote:Only saw the last 15mins, how did Bartley do? I know he lunged at the ball for their goal, but generally how would you rate his display?

Good, and he is a massive f**ker as well :shock:

Yeah I noticed his size. Good on the ball? Sound heading, positioning and pace? Used his size well?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 pm

gzagee wrote:
gunngunn wrote:

Good, and he is a massive f**ker as well :shock:

Yeah I noticed his size. Good on the ball? Sound heading, positioning and pace? Used his size well?

Definately used his size well, seems have it all, bit of pace, not easily shaken off the ball and is a threat at set pieces, to be honest apart from Leonardo's marauding runs that Gilbert could not handle they didn't really have an eye in for goal.

Him and Silvestre kept a pretty tight ship.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Briggsy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:57 pm

I thought they done well however won't be able to read about it as my paper boy was on the bench
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:58 pm

My overview.... I think we played well overall and definitely deserved something from the game.

Fabianski had a good game. Commanded his box well, snuffed out threats quickly and distrobuted well. Nothing he could really do about the goal. Start him this weekend please wenger.

Gilbert was shit. He was shit 3 years ago, he was shit earlier in the season and he was shit tonight. he's slow and has no positional awareness

Bartely and Cruise both had good games. Don't remember a big mistake from either of them actually. Cruise didn't have much to do though since little of their play came down the right.

Ramsey was awesome and MOTM by a country mile.

Merida and Song both had very good games too. Merida has great ball control and whilst his passing isn't quite as sharp as Ramsey's, it's still fantastic.

Walcott's movement was great but his first touch and control let him and the team down severely, but if he isn't injured again those are things he'll get back with time. Also he faded towards the end and was barely seen in the last 20 minutes.

Wilshere had a decent game, nothing outstanding but the game will do him the world of good.

Vela.... eh, I think he was pretty bad. Didn't really do much, his movement was alright but when he got the ball he fluffed it more often than not. Ran into traffic and lost possesion a number of times. I think he had 4 shots? 2 right at the keeper and 2 wide. Same as Walcott though, he should get these things right with more games under his belt.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:05 am

From what I saw of the goal the first mistake was Bartley's. He made an unnecesary lunge at the ball (around the half way line) which left us exposed. However Gilbert wasn't covering his CB so there was a massive hole the size of Grand Canyon for their player to run through and score.

I did see Gilbert get exposed again late in the game and if not for Fabi's closing down it could've been another goal.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:12 am

Gilbert was more than poor, it was like playing with 3 men in defence.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:14 am

Its no surprise that all their attacks and chances came down Gilbert's side
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2009-10